Side effects following Botox / tag removal

And I'm going through hell

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Side effects following Botox / tag removal

Postby Painal » 16 Dec 2015, 19:19

Hi everyone

Similar back story to everybody else on here, years of fissure healing through diet and laxatives/topical agents then re-injuring and starting the process all over again.

Anyway, after 8months of the fissure being back with no intention of letting itself heal, I underwent tag removal and Botox last Tuesday.

Was "relatively" pain free for 1-2 days after surgery, then it hit on the morning of day 3: massive urge for BM, then small pencil thin poop and feeling of incomplete evacuation (followed by intense pain/muscle spasm). Figured the pain killers might be backing me up, increased movicol from 2 sachets daily to 4.

Next day, felt like I needed to poop all day, but couldn't at all. Didn't want to push or strain, and every attempt to defecate resulted in crippling muscle spasms and sharp pain at the site of tag removal.

1-2 days after that, increased movicol dosage to 6 sachets daily.

Fast forward to a week later - still no bowel movement. Muscle spasms, sharp pain, constant need to go to the bathroom but unable.

Saw my CR surgeon yesterday, he said everything looked OK, probably just constipated. Recommended picoprep (same bowel prep before surgery) to get bowels moving again. It basically gives you heavy diarrhoea.

The picoprep has taught me something. I'm not constipated. I'm actually unable to voluntarily open my bowels. Even now, with intense stomach gurgling diarrhoea, it's like the muscles don't work and "keep the door shut" or something. Has anybody experienced anything like this?
Painal

Topics: 2

Re: Side effects following Botox / tag removal

Postby msimon » 18 Dec 2015, 03:41

Hi Painal. I'm so sorry to hear of the troubles you are having. It actually sounds very similar to the experience I had with botox, and I have read of it on here, albeit ver rarely. I felt like I had to poop all day long but couldn't move it on out. Almost like it wasn't a 'tube' in there anymore and the stuff didn't know where to go to exit. I don't know what to tell you except to hang in there, it seems that somehow the muscles adapt or your body finds a way around it (because theoretically botox only lasts 3-6 months but this effect doesn't seem to last that long).

One thing that seemed to help with me was to squat to for a BM. Also, having things too soft may not be helping. I find if it's too soft it doesn't get pushed as well by the bowels. Can I ask if you are male or female?
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby Painal » 18 Dec 2015, 04:40

Thanks for your reply, glad I'm not the only one.

I'm male. Also have become somewhat of a google expert in butt anatomy in the last day or so.

After a bit of digital exploration it feels like it's mostly my puborectalis muscle that might be in spasm. I was actually able to force a partial bowel movement last night simply by massaging and pressing on that muscle. The results were messy to say the least.

I had a colonoscopy at the same time as the surgery on the fissure, and the fissure was a good inch long extending pretty deep down, so maybe it's just the other muscles responding to a fair bit of trauma? Who knows. Thinking of trying Valium in any event, I'm essentially crippled at the moment.
Painal

Postby msimon » 19 Dec 2015, 13:56

Ah yes, if you were a female I would have suggested digging around toward the rectal area to try to stimulate a BM. This has worked for me. I guess you have to go more directly then. Glad it helped.
Yes, my puborectalis has troubled me and I have been going to physio for it. I do take ativan and it seems to help some with all that extra muscle tension down there.
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby pafen » 19 Dec 2015, 19:56

Well I just had Botox done about a week ago in Brisbane for pelvic floor spasm. The first few days not much pain but after that it has been like a flare up. I was told by my Surgeon to give it 2-3 weeks though before I will notice any difference. I am definitely still getting a raw burning like pain in the left hand side. I have been told by my physiotherapist this is my left obturator internus where they injected the Botox into.

All we can do is just wait it out I guess and use heat pads. I could use oxycodone for pain but I don't like to use this medication anymore and I haven't in a long time.

I am watching my temperature which remains normal, but the surgeon said it was very unlikely there would be any complications and the pain I am feeling is not unusual following the injections.

The pelvis seems such a sensitive area where the pain sensation can be much higher than the extent of the trauma I think.
Hemroidectomy, anal abscess, fissure, LIS
Pelvic floor Dysfunction since late 2012
pafen
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby Painal » 19 Dec 2015, 20:02

Everyone, I cannot stress this enough. VALIUM. My CR surgeon wasn't available for a consultation, so I went to a very suspicious local GP who seemed to assume I was some junkie or something and took some convincing, but I left with a small script for this godsend.

I'd obviously only recommend this for short term use but it's basically fixed this issue and got me on the road to recovery.

Daily BM since starting, some pain following obviously but more or less feel like a human again.

VALIUM!
Painal

Postby Savaici » 19 Dec 2015, 21:28

I took Lorazapam. Don't know what I would have done without it. Should not have to bloody well suffer!!!
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222