fistulotomy post op

pain after surgery

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

fistulotomy post op

Postby jvb » 26 Dec 2015, 15:56

I had a fistulotomy 3 days ago. It has been relatively painless until last night. I had a bowel movement that I forgot and found myself straining. I stopped and have been ever so careful since then. However, I am pretty much in constant pain/discomfort now. I'm being very careful not to rub when wiping. I'm using baby wipes, soaking in the tub about 4 times a day, drinking lots of water and taking plenty of stool softeners. I guess I'm just concerned since I had minimal pain before the bm and now it has greatly increased. My asumption is that the straining put way too much pressure on the site and now I'm dealing with increased swelling. Any thoughts?
jvb

Topics: 1

Re: fistulotomy post op

Postby msimon » 27 Dec 2015, 15:05

Yes, straining should be avoided but can be difficult to control, as you know. You will have more pain after your BMs regardless though as now that material got in the wound and will probably sting. This may then bring on spasming. Heat would help with the spasming and baths will help with cleaning the wound. I never wiped, even with baby wipes. Do you have a shower head you could aim at the area to clean it? I used a peri-bottle with warm water. Sounds like you are doing things right. It will be a matter to time, lots of time. Hang in there. What are you taking for pain control? It is not unusual for post-op pain to peak at day 3-4 as this is when inflammation peaks. It should slowly start to improve now.
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Re: fistulotomy post op

Postby Manitourose » 27 Dec 2015, 15:22

I agree with msimon. Day 3-4 is common for post-op pain peaking or beginning to be felt after the local anesthetic has worn off. My pain began around that time as well. Straining may have aggrevated the area and the area is in an early stage of recovery and healing. I think you are doing all the right things. Stay on top of the pain if you were provided medication or with over the counter meds if okayed by your doctor. Hang in there and keep us updated. If it becomes too unbearable definitely give the nurse or doctor a ring.
Manitourose

Topics: 14

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here