Colonoscopy tomorrow

...very scared..any insight is appreciated

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Colonoscopy tomorrow

Postby jay1975 » 29 Dec 2015, 11:07

Hi friends..

I don't really have any info to post, but I wanted to share that I'm scheduled for a colonoscopy tomorrow at 8AM. I've had some really good improvement in my fissure in the last several months, but it's not 100% healed. My pain level is less than 2, but I'm incredibly frightened of the colonoscopy procedure, and my anxiety level is super high right now, plus I'm alone and don't really have any support. I had a sigmoidoscopy last summer, and they found a non-cancerous polyp which will be removed during the colonoscopy. I was originally scheduled to have the colonoscopy last September, but at that time the AF very still quite painful, so my doctor and I agreed it would be OK to postpone the colonoscopy for a few months.....now the few months has passed and here I am...

Quick status update of my AF:
Pain is less than 2. I always have a BM early AM with no pain. A couple hours after BM, I'll experience mild pain that lasts for a couple hours. Also, I'm still getting a green mucus discharge, but it's much less than it was a few months back. Very little blood.

The worst part is the anticipation. I've heard about people's experience with having a colonoscopy, and for some it seems to be totally uneventful, and for others it the most agonizing thing they've ever experienced in their entire lives. I know several people who tell me that it's not a big deal, and that the prep is the worst part, but none of these people have AF's.

..I'll just finish my venting by listing my concerns and what i'm most frightened about:
1. I won't be sedated "enough", and the contact of the probe against the fissure will be excruciatingly painful.
2. During the procedure, the probe/instruments will open/damage the fissure, and I'll be back to where I was six months ago (or maybe even worse)...I don't think I could live through that again.
3. I'll panic just before the procedure, and not be able to go through with it.

Any comments/insight would be greatly appreciated !
jay1975
Salt Bather

Topics: 12

Re: Colonoscopy tomorrow

Postby brandypugg » 29 Dec 2015, 12:59

I can't even imagine what you are going through right now. Mine started in October and all the blood did scare me but it hurt so bad I was scared to go get it checked didn't want anyone even thinking about touching it. They thought mine was just my internal hemorrhoids so first thing they did was colonoscopy. Which made it so much worse he didn't even see fissure or tears during it. I was sent to surgeon to get hemorrhoids stapled that's preferred method now. He examed me,found the fissure and gave me the compound meds and I had to dilate everyday. I am happy to report I have not seen blood in almost 2 weeks. My pain is down to almost nothing. As long as I get glycerin in before I use bathroom it helps so much. Hopefully you have a good doc who will take it easy on you. I would hope they wouldn't do anything to make it bad again. I have come so far I can't imagine going back wards at this point but I do know how easily that can happen.
brandypugg
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2