Hi guys

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Hi guys

Postby Tj1992 » 16 Jan 2016, 18:11

Hi everyone,

Nice to see that i'm not alone in this!

I'm having a situation at the moment which seems like its never ending!

It started out with a small anal fissure which was giving me shooting sharp pain when in motion etc. I was prescribed Flucloxacillin and stool softeners, just to add - I have and and still do not have any discharge, blood puss in my stool.

Over this week the fissure seemed to heal really quickly, the pain disappeared etc etc - the doctor still asked me to return to make sure everything was as it should be. On my return I was reexamined and I was shocked when I was told I had a small mound the size of a 1p coin (or a dime for my American friends!) - this was the first time I was told or thought I had an small fistula which "apparently" will heal with antibiotics (co-amoxiclav) due to how small it was. I still have not had any discharge, pain or blood in my stool.

I've come here for help and knowledge on what you guys and girls think? - Do you think I have a chance of recovering with just antibiotics? (I know its rare), I also feel as if i've been misdiagnosed, I don't think I have the symptoms for this.

Thanks for reading guys and girls,

I look forward to reading your responses.
Tj1992
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: Hi guys

Postby Manitourose » 17 Jan 2016, 08:56

Hi tj1992,

What kind of doctor are you seeing, a colorectal surgeon or your GP? What confuses me is the reference that this small mound is a fistula? A fistula, even if superficial and small, is a tunnel created after bacteria finds it's way out. It's usually a result of an abscess (not always) but at least a result of an infection. Either of which can randomly happen no matter what your bowel and cleanliness habits are :-/
DId the doctor mention where this "mound" was located, inside or out? I would assume he/she knows the difference between a small abscess and a sentinel tag/hemorrhoid tag (some doctors reference it this way). The tag is excess skin on the outside of the anus that is a result after the fissure has healed sometimes.
Do you have any heat coming from the anal area?

Antibiotics are not unusual. The doctor may feel the "mound" is so small, if he/she believes it's a tiny infection, that there is a possibility a dose of antibiotics will clear it.

A fistula would be the result if it did not resolve on it's own or with antibiotics, which is a 50/50 chance generally in literature but your doctor's experience or with this "size of mound" or experience you are having may be different. Though I have heard of doctors providing antibiotics for a fistula but not often. Perhaps this "fistula" tract it's so teeny, tiny that the doctor feels its new and is hopeful it will resolve? I am really quite uncertain.

As far as symptoms, fistulas can be funny in how they present. For me I had NO abscess or infection symptoms, I just suddenly one day had fistula symptoms of discharge/blood mix. It was so slight at first I just assumed after research it was hemorrhoid issues. For others their doctor randomly finds the fistula with no symptom and for others they are textbook in that they have the abscess followed by the fistula and symptoms.

You referenced 1p coin so I assume you are in the UK. Can you get the doctors records upon request if you fill out paperwork? His/her notes may provide you insight and it certainly wouldn't hurt to have a 2nd professional opinion. If you aren't seeing a colorectal surgeon I'd ask for you. There are many from the UK on this board and they can likely fill you in how they pushed through the NHS or privately to get to one.

Until you know more, I'd keep up with all the good things you are doing. Healthy or fistula, you're keeping your body in good shape! If it is a fistula, do not panic. They can easily be repaired and have good success. We have many here too, including myself, who have had one and had treatment.

Welcome! :wel:
Manitourose

Topics: 14

Postby Tj1992 » 17 Jan 2016, 10:52

Thank you Manitourose for your response,

The "mound" so to speak is external, its not visible to the eye but to touch its 1-2cm away from the anus.

Just an update (So embarrassed sharing this)

A call from the doctor this afternoon, I have tested positive to rectal gonnorea! - I wonder if this has something to do with it all.
Tj1992
Fibre Addict

Postby Manitourose » 17 Jan 2016, 13:11

No reason to be embarrassed at all, not on our board at least. I have found members on this board to be the most exceptional at listening, relating and understanding our different stories and symptoms of any forum out there. Not to mention your experience will definitely help someone else. :)
So the doctor feels this is an easy fix with treatment, with antibiotics and follow up I suspect? So glad to hear they have a cause of what's going which is half the battle to getting things cleared up!
Manitourose

Postby Tj1992 » 17 Jan 2016, 13:30

Agreed, he assumes so, but this only issue I face is that he isn't aware of the Gonnorea, hence the misdiagnosing question.

I hate this "unknown" aspect at the moment.

Again today I've gone about my day without a hint of pain or symptoms to anything, so maybe with the appropriate Gonnorea medication (which I believe is an injection) that will be the end to my worries.

I'll keep the forum updated as its definitely a first for me and hopefully I can shed some light for others!

Thanks
Tj1992
Fibre Addict

Postby Tj1992 » 19 Jan 2016, 05:16

Morning guys, small update

Had my treatment for Gonorrhea (awful injection and 4 antibiotics)

small bump or mound is getting smaller and smaller, at certain times of the day I cannot feel it at all, if it is a fistula it is closed at both ends and shrinking!!

The fissure seemed to go way on its on, no pain no blood or discharge still. So i'm hopeful this is it now, I'm staying positive but theirs always a chance I stop my antibiotics and it returns!!

So fingers crossed.

Tj
Tj1992
Fibre Addict

Postby Manitourose » 19 Jan 2016, 10:33

That's great news. Ah how I hate any injections, glad it's over for you! Hope you continue healing.
Manitourose

Postby Tj1992 » 19 Jan 2016, 12:25

Just for a small bit of info, the small "mound" as I call it is located in between my coccyx and my anus, I don't believe this is the perianal area? Unless i'm stupid (this is possible haha!)

If anyone could help me with that i'd appreciate it

Tj
Tj1992
Fibre Addict

Postby Savaici » 19 Jan 2016, 13:53

The perianal area is between your genitals and your anus.

Just a thought, has your doctor considered that the "mound" might be a Pilonidal Cyst?
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Tj1992 » 19 Jan 2016, 15:07

It's not that high up in my opinion - it's still within the ass cheeks but very high nearer the coccyx

Tj
Tj1992
Fibre Addict