Multi-hour lag between BM and pain?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Multi-hour lag between BM and pain?

Postby hands_full047 » 01 Feb 2016, 15:35

I couldn't find any other threads discussing this, but I also can't imagine I'm the only one who suffers from this particular pain sequence.

I've described my experience with an AF in another thread, but one symptom that mystifies me is this: I usually have a BM around mid-morning, and if it doesn't "go well" (if there is any kind of a plug effect, or my diet/fiber were off and I can just tell), it's usually very painful to GO, and then pain subsists for a couple of hours.

THEN --- the pain ramps up usually 2-3 hours later and is seeing for the next 3-5 hours?

If the AF has been disturbed as of the time of the BM, why does this lag effect exist? I'm not trying to solve a scientific mystery, I just want to know if others have experienced something similar and whether it relates at all to effective treatment, a more specific diagnosis, etc.

THANK YOU ALL!

:smilyhug:
hands_full047
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: Multi-hour lag between BM and pain?

Postby Massivechopsticks » 01 Feb 2016, 15:41

Me too!!!!....the BM is less painful then the pain afterwards ( and like you, 3 to 5 hours later).....I'd love to know why as well
Massivechopsticks
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Hafzaal » 01 Feb 2016, 17:02

The increased pain after BM is from your sphincter muscle going in to spasm. Everyone is different in the sense that some get the pain right after BM and some after. The lag is just there. i'm no doctor so I cant answer why.
Hafzaal
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby Johnny91 » 08 Feb 2016, 14:37

Back then when i was having bloody bms i experienced the same thing, 2 hours later EVERY time on stopwatch it would start to hurt like hell.
It is indeed what Hafzaal wrote, if you manage to relax the sphincter you won't have the same lvl of pain. You can try GTN which helps alot with relaxing.
I also tried some pain meds like norgesic and mesulid which actually helped most of the times.
It also helps if you lie on your sides like fetal position for some time after the BM, it helps relax the muscle.
Try some mineral oil for stool softening if nothing else works for you. It helps a lot.
Johnny91
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby hands_full047 » 08 Feb 2016, 15:30

Thanks Johnny. I have the GTN but it doesn't seem to present much of a challenge to the +2 hour pain: did you apply externally or internally? The feedback I have heard is "external is fine" because internal is (even more) painful in terms of its application.

I will try the mineral oil - I take it Miralax/ Colace didn't do the trick for you?
hands_full047
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Johnny91 » 08 Feb 2016, 15:47

I was told by the doctor who did the colonoscopy to apply it internally but my fissure is deep so i guess it depends on the position of each fissure. In my case if the bm wasn't painful, i could apply the cream internally quickly after i cleaned the area. If you wait a lot and your are in pain it is much more difficult to apply it inside because the sphincter is not relaxed.
Also relatively high amounts of mineral oil helps lubricating the area so after a bm its easier to apply due to lubrication from left over oil. I used to put it in with some xylocaine gel as lubrication and i asked the doctor before to make sure its ok to mix them together.

Osmotics won't work for me and i have no idea why but they tend to make it worse. I've tried something like miralax which is available here, with the same base and had worse pain. Also tried lactulose in the beginning and about 2 months ago and it did the same as macrogol(miralax).

The only thing that helps me with softening is mineral oil but keep in mind that you have to be cautious while swallowing it cause if you accidentally get it down the wrong pipes you can get lipoid pneumonia and you dont want that. Also the taste isn't the best, but i have no issues with that, have swallowed about 2 liters in the last 8 months.
Johnny91
Salt Bather

Topics: 4