Anyone heal a chronic fissure without surgery?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Anyone heal a chronic fissure without surgery?

Postby Hope0602 » 02 Feb 2016, 10:59

I have had a posterior and anterior fissure since giving birth to my daughter 8 months ago.

I have had multiple flare-ups after thinking I healed the fissure.

I have tried coconut oil, Dr. wheatgrass, Camloseptine, an essential oil fissure mix, Nitro. Also I take Colace 2x a day. I have been to 2 different CRS. Both had poor bedside manner In my opinion and did not listen to anything I had to say. The first said I need to to take Colace after I told him I already was. The second said there is no way I had these fissures for 8 months.

I can barely function I am in so much pain. I have a 5 yr old and a 8 month old and work. I have been going into work every day late so I can soak in tub. The pain is always worse in the am and better as the day goes on.

The 2nd CRS gave me a diltiazem which I am picking to today. I really want to avoid surgery. I am a nurse practitioner and we make the worse patients.

I also have pelvic floor dysfunction and am breastfeeding. I was thinking about starting PT for the pelvic floor dysfunction now but the CRS said to wait.

I feel like I need a 3rd opinion since I have yet to tell my story to one provider. They are always too rushed and don't listen. I ask about other options other than surgeries and creams and they both say no.

Any stories of healing without surgery?

Any experience of doing pelvic PT while having a fissure and did it help?

Any other options out there?

Did yoga heal anyone's fissure?

Did anyone find sitting on a donut to be helpful? My commute to work is horrible! I have heated seats but they don't help!

Thanks in advance!
Hope0602

Topics: 1

Re: Anyone heal a chronic fissure without surgery?

Postby oliver123 » 02 Feb 2016, 15:17

Did the LIS Surgery on the 11th of jan, getting much better day by day. I don't recommend donuts while sitting, it may backfire and make deeper cuts.

Dear, believe me, doing the surgery after 7 months of immense pain was the best decision I have ever taken ( making sure I went to the best of the best doctor)

One more point worth mentioning don't prolong it, alot of complication could happen. In my case, I got a tunnel or canal below my fissure due to the prolonged time and dragging.

Best of luck and hope you feel better.
oliver123

Postby felix » 02 Feb 2016, 16:48

Hi,
Sorry to hear you are having a bit of a time of it with the AF and all the other stuff we have to deal with in life! I wanted to say that I know how you feel as have had issues from a AF for a year, although at my last appointment, it is apparently healed!
I have not had surgery and, like you, decided to manage it more conservatively. Personally, I found GTN rubbish and once I got some Diltizem I noticed a real improvement so that may be more successful for you too.
I still have issues but not as bad as they used to be and I would not risk surgery unless I could not function because of it. As for yoga, I do a lot of it and so find that it helps with my stress levels and also with my pelvic floor tightness..The other thing that really helped me was having acupuncture and starting with some mindfulness to stop myself obsessing about it all the time.
However, I would not say I am 100% so who knows if I am fully healed forever or whether I will always have flare ups but hope you find something that helps..
felix
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 16

Postby nicole321 » 05 Feb 2016, 11:04

I too had a chronic fissure from my son's birth up until his first birthday. I thought it would never end. The thing that finally worked (for me) was Nifedpine 3x a day, and it took 9 weeks to heal from when I started it rather than the 6 weeks that the doctor stated. I don't know if this had anything to do with it either, but I also did an elimination diet at the end to see if anything food related has been contributing to my fissure not healing. I am so sorry to hear that you are dealing with this as a young mom. It feels like it took away a lot of the joy from my son's first year.
nicole321
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Postby Savaici » 05 Feb 2016, 13:43

Yes. Healed with dilation for me. Still have pain from time to time, but nothing in comparison to previous agony.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Daisy Mac » 06 Feb 2016, 18:36

I just had a follow-up appointment and my fissure has finally healed after about 11 months. It started shortly after the birth of my baby a year ago. it was misdiagnosed for quite a while which is probably why it became chronic. I basically dedicated the whole year to healing and ate a bland, boring diet the whole time. Sweet potatoes, oatmeal, salmon, shreddies, whole wheat everything - after much trial and error I realized I would relapse if I cheated, so I figured out which foods worked for me and I ate the same thing every day. It sucked but it worked. I used Restorolax (Miralax) every night and that helped a lot. I also used Diltiazem which helped me through the worst of it. Coconut oil after that. Any time I felt like I would have to strain with BM I used glycerin suppositories to help things along. That being said, everyone's different and sometimes even doing everything perfectly doesn't work without surgery, but I hope that's not the case for you!
Daisy Mac
Salt Bather

Topics: 12