Vitamin D Deficiency

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Vitamin D Deficiency

Postby Fissulyna » 29 Feb 2008, 16:55

On my last GP exam it was discovered through blood test that I have Vit. D deficiency which is almost unheard of. I now have to take MEGA doses for a month to replenish my reserves.
Since Vit. D is fat soluble vit,. my only explanation is that it was not absorbed properly due to me taking mineral oil for 5 months. Vit. D deficiency can also cause muscle weakness and pain and now I suspect that also caused my Fibro relapse during same period !!!!
I knew about warning that mineral oil can interfere with absorption of fat soluble vitamins, but thought that taking extra of them would prevent it - in my case it did not Image.
If any of you are taking mineral oil, make sure to take supplements daily of vitamins A,E,D,K. Just don't overdo it without your doctors supervision because too much of those vitamins can cause toxicity. Just to make point how much I am low in vit D is that daily dose is about 400 IUD and I have to take now 50,000 !!!! once a week :pale:
All the best Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Re: Vitamin D Deficiency

Postby Guest » 29 Feb 2008, 17:45

Wow-that is startling, isn't it? Did the doctor recommend going outside for some sunshine too? I just started supplementing with Vitamin D3 because of the evidence that shows it can help prevent cancer but I am on mineral oil too so I will definitely have to watch out for this.

How many pills do you have to take to get to 50,000 IUD?
Did everything else check out okay?

Postby happyass » 29 Feb 2008, 19:23

i have the same question as lecia......the sun....it helps breakdown important stuff in your body so that it can use the vitamin D better.....
i know the sun has almost been virtually non-existent here.....
maybe getting one of those special light lamps....
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby Fissulyna » 29 Feb 2008, 21:17

Thank you guys for suggestions and concern : ) ! Yes, I will definitely have to spend some time in the Sun - 10 min each sunny day without sunscreen . I will have to do that early morning since I have very fair skin and burn even with sunscreen on : (.
My deficiency unfortunately can not be solved just buy suntanning, so I have to make reserve in my liver. I got special prescription fro pills that are 50,000 units each :pale: ! I should take ONE pill once a week for 4 weeks , than continue with normal vit. D every day. Those pills look like fish-oil - they are transparent , oily.
Thanks Lecia for asking about other findings, I will do those other tests in a month or two. This was just so surprising to me, that I had to share it with you - my buddies Image .
Maybe I should sell some stock and go to Antigua or something Image ?!?
LOVE TO ALL !!!
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby motherluch » 29 Feb 2008, 23:08

Hey Fiss,
I, too, have a vitamin D deficiency. Actually it is quite common, as a matter of fact Oprah is deficient as well, and just had a show where they discussed it at length. They are testing women more and more and finding that many of us are deficient, and they just upped the daily requirements from 400 IU to 1,000 IU +. Sunshine is helpful, but definitely not enough for people like us! The supplement you are taking should help you regain the vitamin level soon enough. I, myself need to get back in my regimine of taking my high levels as well.
Good luck!
motherluch
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 25

Postby Fissulyna » 01 Mar 2008, 01:22

Oh, thank you so much for telling me this Image !!! I did research on the net and all of the articles pointed "how nowadays vit. D deficiency is extremely rare and in third world countries " Image . I wish my GP was more informed too - well wishful thinking :roll: , I don't know what doctors here do all day - they mostly work 3 days a week anyway and also most of them don't take "new patients" so they wouldn't be overbooked for those 3 days- God forbid. ANYHOW - thank you for pointing that I am not alone , nor freak of nature, at least not in that aspect Image !!!
Hope you are pain free and well :_):
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby happyass » 01 Mar 2008, 16:04

oprah is deficient in a lot of things except money......
even that doesn't give her perfect health :-)
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74