Amytriptyline

Has it helped

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Amytriptyline

Postby Mypoorbutt » 10 Mar 2016, 13:44

Hi just wondering if amytriptyline has helped anyone's fissures to heal...I'm on my 2nd week of tablets and just had my second poop that didn't actually hurt...discomfort yes sore yes...but not the agonising spasms that last for hours...I don't want to get excited if this is just a couple of times kind of thing
So has anyone used this to heal their fissures successfully
I only asked for these as someone on here said they helped with spasms...so wasn't really expecting too much...but would be nice if all I needed was these tablets and not an operation
Thanks x
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Re: Amytriptyline

Postby Manitourose » 10 Mar 2016, 17:44

I was told if I had IBS-D that it would/could help to firm things up. But I know one of the warnings was constipation. I took it for a very short period of time when they thought it would help with IBS. I had my fissure then as well and didn't notice a difference. You never know though what will work and what causes our issues, so DEFINITELY worth a shot and sounds like things are going pretty well so far?
Manitourose

Topics: 14

Postby dmcff » 11 Mar 2016, 02:00

I use amitriptyline together with pregabalin to help with sleeping and as a pain reliever - I find that it's fairly effective in low doses of 25 or 10 mg, and is mildly constipating.
Last edited by dmcff on 11 Mar 2016, 05:37, edited 1 time in total.
2014 Anal fissure
2015 CAT, EUA, sigmoidoscopy, 2 MRI
2016 Pain severe then moderate to low
2017 Moderate pain
2018 Physical therapy, pain management
2019-20 Living with it
2021 Still AF
2022 Therapy, meditation
2023 Onward, up
2024 CT scan
dmcff

Topics: 52

Postby Mypoorbutt » 11 Mar 2016, 02:27

I have IBS D I can go at least 10 times a day,(the cause of my fissures) must say the amytriptyline hasn't really slowed it down that much but I'm only on 10mg working my way up to 20...maybe more if it doesn't knock me out lol.
Oh right so it's not had much effect then...I have googled it and found some interesting studies in NI that say it really reduces resting anal pressure so I'm still mildly hopeful...but not getting hopes too high, will just appreciate any pain free poops it gives me lol.
Will post again if it continues to help as maybe it's useful only if the fissures are caused by overtight sphincter muscles....thinking mine are like Pro body builders after years of holding in poops till I can get to a toilet lol
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion