Kenalog Procedure

Kenalog Injection & Cauterization

A place for you to keep a record of your healing or surgery.

Return to Diaries

Re: Feingold Kenalog Procedure

Postby over10yearsnow » 18 Feb 2016, 21:28

Great thank you so much for your update. I'm so pleased to hear things are still good. It's nice to read about on here what looks likely to be happy ending :)

Thanks for prices. I read on another post it was around $35,000 which would have been far too much for me to find. I'm going to persevere with trying things I have yet for now and in the mean time research the best I can so if I opt for surgery (or Feingold's non-surgery approach) I can go into it fully aware of what's what.

That's really interesting what you've said about fibre. I've recently heard that it's insolible fibre that can do an AF harm and that we need to seek out foods higher in soluble fibre. Up until now I've not given my diet much thought as it doesn't seem massively affected by what I eat. However currently going through a very bad episode with a fissure has made me think about it. In fact I'm currently nervous about eating anything as I know it's got to come out. I know that probably the worst thing I can do for keeping BM manageable is not eat though, so trying to nibble on thing here and there.

Again, thank you for your response and I shall eagerly await the next progress report. I sincerely hope you make a good and full recovery :)
over10yearsnow
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby ruffledtailfeather » 14 Mar 2016, 13:11

Hi helpme - thank you so much for your diligent and detailed documentation of the post op experience!! Reading all of this has been extremely helpful and comforting for me. I am having this procedure tomorrow morning.

Look forward to reading your 3 month update.
ruffledtailfeather
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby helpme » 28 Mar 2016, 19:00

Things are about the same as when I wrote last, which I have to admit has been a little frustrating. The fissure I went in for doesn't hurt except for the two times since the procedure where I had hard stools and had to strain. But even then it was temporary. But I'm frustrated that the new pain I developed after the procedure hasn't gone away. I'm still using Miralax regularly and sometimes Colace, which keeps my stool regular and apparently soft, but the new pain doesn't feel like it's healed more than last time I wrote. I'm not sure what Feingold can really recommend for this except patience. But given how impossible healing the old fissure was I don't know what's going to happen with this one. Maybe he can at least confirm that there is a new fissure. I will write again after my appointment.
Last edited by helpme on 08 Jun 2016, 14:30, edited 2 times in total.
helpme
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby over10yearsnow » 28 Mar 2016, 19:02

Good luck for tomorrow. I hope he can help with the newer problem!
over10yearsnow
Salt Bather

Postby helpme » 30 Mar 2016, 20:59

I had another appointment. The exam was a bit painful because of the new symptoms but he was gentle.

He confirmed a version of what I suspected. There are two very small cracks in the skin, but not where my previous fissure was, which he says has healed nicely. He told me that this type of cracking and itching is caused by excess moisture. He suggested I reduce my Miralax intake with the goal of eliminating it completely. He said the Miralax may be waterlogging the area and also that by making stools very soft it may cause narrowing that will then be painful with regular stools, which makes sense. I had noticed that without the Miralax I was experiencing pain with stools that seemed quite regularly sized.

So the new course of treatment is (1) trying to switch off Miralax; (2) applying baby powder 2-3 times a day; (3) using wet wipes and witch hazel wipes; and (4) sitz baths. He recognized that it wasn't an easy situation and that it would probably take time. I'm supposed to check in again in two months to let him know. He said if the cracks persist we could consider another kenalog injection later this year, but I hope it's healed by then.

Also he wasn't really a stickler about whether they were cracks or fissures. He thought it made more sense to think of them as cracks than fissures since they weren't deep and didn't have all the properties he'd expect in a fissure.

I tried the baby powder today, and it is actually pretty soothing. But my bowel movement was quite painful, maybe because of the impact of the exam. I'll update again if I see any change.
Last edited by helpme on 08 Jun 2016, 14:29, edited 1 time in total.
helpme
Salt Bather

Postby over10yearsnow » 30 Mar 2016, 21:11

Thanks for the update. Sounds quite promising overall.
over10yearsnow
Salt Bather

Postby Canadabum » 30 Mar 2016, 21:46

Glad to read that you had a good consult...and thanks for keeping us all posted.

I'm curious - how much mural ax have you been taking and for how long? Were you told to slowly wean off or cold turkey?

Also - wondering if you felt that sense of moisture at all.

Thanks again.

Canadabum
Canadabum

Topics: 19

Postby helpme » 05 Apr 2016, 04:07

I was taking half or a third of a dose every day after my first bad experience post-op with hard stool. Thinking about it now, it does seem like I went off it almost cold turkey, which can't have been a good idea. Feingold definitely recommended weaning off of it and now I'm trying out just twice a week or "as needed."

I really like using the baby powder, and I think I would have benefited from using it earlier. I could certainly feel the itch before hand, but I can't say I was aware of any feeling of moisture even though the moisture did and does exist now that I know to look out for it. It's not like my stools were watery. I'm hoping the generally good experience also correlates with healing.
Last edited by helpme on 08 Jun 2016, 14:31, edited 1 time in total.
helpme
Salt Bather

Postby helpme » 05 Apr 2016, 04:13

And I'd been taking Miralax with some regularity and often every day since December except for two one-week periods where I essentially went cold-turkey.
helpme
Salt Bather

Postby helpme » 08 Jun 2016, 14:06

It's been six months, and I haven't healed. The cracks/fissures that were caused by the procedure have not gone away, and if I go off Miralax completely they are painful with every bowel movement. I recently felt a twinge of pain at my old fissure site, and when I saw Feingold he said the area was healthy but that I should do a touch-up kenalog procedure now that the cracks/fissures are fresh to finish up the healing.

The news has honestly been kind of devastating, and I don't know whether to do it. Before I only had one fissure and monthly discomfort. Now, I have pain in 3-4 locations and can't have an unpainful bowel movement unless I take Miralax.

I'm weighing what I should do (I'm open to advice if you want to offer any!). Recovery was manageable, but I don't want to go through it again. And since the last procedure seemed to cause these new fissures, how do I know that this next procedure won't cure these and cause new sites to open up? He said there were signs of healing so I don't know if I just stay on this low dose of Miralax for a long enough time if they'll heal over without further "surgical" intervention. I don't have faith that either course of action will heal the new fissures, and it feels like I traded in a monthly maintenance problem in for a every few days maintenance problem.

I'm sad.
helpme
Salt Bather