General Surgeon for Sphincterotomy???

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

General Surgeon for Sphincterotomy???

Postby Pain_Connoisseur » 06 Apr 2016, 15:26

http://www.healthgrades.com/physician/d ... uzis-y3g4w

This doesn't sound right... shouldn't I be sent to a colorectal surgeon??? Why would my gastroenterologist send me to a general surgeon instead? There are 3 colorectal surgeons in my area, 2 out of 3 are board certified. I'm on Medicaid... should I try contacting their offices instead or just go to the general surgeon?
Pain_Connoisseur
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: General Surgeon for Sphincterotomy???

Postby Severelydepressed » 06 Apr 2016, 18:33

Hey PC,
I would have to say definitely go with a board certified colorectal surgeon with a lot of experience who has done this procedure many times successfully. I think this is extremely crucial because it's a sensitive area and colorectal surgeons have more experience with these things since it's their specialty.

I'm not sure what is covered under your Medicaid but did your gastro refer you to a general surgeon bc Medicaid doesn't cover those specific CRS'?

Wishing you the best and good luck!
Severelydepressed
VIP

Topics: 9

Postby Pain_Connoisseur » 06 Apr 2016, 21:16

When he said the next step was surgery and that he was referring me to a surgeon, that he was automatically referring me to a colorectal surgeon, because why would he refer me to any other kind of surgeon? I guess I got ahead of myself and assumed... if it hadn't been for these forums I wouldn't have thought twice about the next step. Now I'm assuming he did this because my insurance is Medicaid. Tomorrow I intend on calling the colorectal surgeons and seeing if their offices accept Medicaid.

I also have a lot of brain fog right now caused by my fibromyalgia. This rectum issue caused a full body flare up with intense exhaustion, and the pain and other unknown factors cause issues with memory, decision making and alertness.

What sort of questions should I be asking? How do I get their credentials without seeming rude? I've never been in a situation where I faced surgery before. I don't have any family to instruct me or advocate for me. :(

Thank you kindly for wishing me luck... I am going to need it.
Pain_Connoisseur
Fibre Addict

Postby Severelydepressed » 08 Apr 2016, 10:43

Hey PC, have you had any luck finding a colorectal surgeon yet?

I'm so sorry to hear you're dealing with so much chronic pain. It can really drain you, but just remember, you're strong and you WILL get through this. I accidentally replied to you on my thread in regards to questions to ask your surgeon so I'll just copy & paste here!

As far as questions for the surgeon, ask him/her how many of these surgeries he has performed. If any of his patients have ever been found incontinent, and if so, was it only transient incontinence or permanent? Check for patient reviews on vitals.com and check to see how many years of experience they have as a colorectal surgeon. Make sure that he/she is board certified - this is a must! I went through 2 gastros and 3 surgeons before choosing my final one. I chose the one that showed the most empathy and had the most experience.

The surgeon I was originally gonna go with, right before the one I actually chose, was a skilled surgeon, but lacked bedside manner. He was curt with me and would undermine my pain and say "it's just a fissure" and laugh at me like I was overreacting for tearing up during my office visit. Any one who has been through this KNOWS how painful and debilitating this can be. I don't think he understood how badly it was affecting my quality of life, it's about wanting to be able to function like a normal human being without worrying about BMs and pain throughout the day. The surgeon I ultimately chose really showed empathy and went out of his way to fit me in for surgery the very next day due to my pain. He could just tell it was time and I knew it was time as well. I think you'll get a good sense of your surgeon once you meet him/her. Good luck and I'll be keeping you in my prayers. Keep us posted! <3
Severelydepressed
VIP

Topics: 9

Postby Pain_Connoisseur » 09 Apr 2016, 02:44

I found a colorectal surgeon that accepts my insurance, is board certified, and is in my city! ...I just need to call him. It says he is still accepting new patients. I wasn't locating him on any other searches other than healthline.doctor.com But none of the other Drs that were showing up on the other websites were visible through this website. It really is a hunt. I meant to call him today but... I need to work myself up to do it... Your answers are actually very helpful to me in giving me the boost I need to call him up. Thank you kindly! <3 I really appreciate it. It alleviates a lot of stress that is holding me in freeze mode.

I just found out from my CT scan results that I have a horseshoe kidney, lol. It is common, 1 in every 500 births has them according to my research. I got some kind of a cyst or tumor in my uterus 4.6 mm or cm? And 'possible fibroids' on my left ovary... I think that Mirena IUD caused them... that and the hair loss. I'll never trust exogenous hormones again! Since July 2015, I've had one heck of a year... Still waiting to hear back from my Dr about my odd lab results that get posted online for me to see. I wonder what it means when they take their time to get back to you :S I normally hear something after a week...

How are you doing, Severelydepressed? The Dr who laughed at you could've derived pleasure from the suffering of his patients and the belittling that he did to them, whether he has narcissistic traits or something more psychopathic in nature. I'm suspicious as heck about predatory behaviors from people. I'm glad you got away from him and found someone better. Oh my, he got you in the next day? That is excellent! I'm glad :) Keep me posted on how you're doing. I really wish you swift and 100% recovery <3 Thank you so much for helping me understand what I need to do :)
Pain_Connoisseur
Fibre Addict