Hemorrhoid surgery

Do you have Hemorrhoids and are contemplating or have had a Hemorrhoidectomy? If you are thinking of surgery, or want to ask questions on anything to do with Hemorrhoids, or want to share with others who have been through this, this is the place!

Return to Hemorrhoids and Hemorrhoidectomy

Hemorrhoid surgery

Postby ah97 » 07 Apr 2016, 14:26

Well I've had it at this point. I've had a colonoscopy and 3 internal hemorrhoids banded but the external is still there and hurts like the devil every time I use the restroom and whenever it is touched. The problem is it is not huge or anything it just hurts most of the time. I've tried prep-h and about everything else. I'm 18 and would rather be in severe pain for a while from surgery then keep having this. Just wondering 1.) Would I be eligible for surgery since the hem. is not crazy thrombosed? 2.) What do I need to know about hem. Surgery from you guy's experience? Meeting with surgeon on the 25th I really want surgery just so I can get all of this behind me. Thanks :D
ah97
Fibre Addict

Topics: 10

Re: Hemorrhoid surgery

Postby Savaici » 12 Apr 2016, 13:57

Are you sure this is a hemorrhoid and not an anal fissure (which can hurt like hell each time you use the restroom). Hemmies don't usually continue hurting for more than a few says until they calm down. Everyone gets hemmies; anal fissures are a different kettle of fish altogether... :affraid:
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby ah97 » 18 Apr 2016, 16:41

I am pretty sure it is a hemmorhoid because I can feel the vein and it hurts to touch. And not to be to graphic but I feel a snag whenever I use the restroom in that area. It doesn't matter whether it is hard or soft there is the snag then it feels like glass cutting coming out.
ah97
Fibre Addict

Topics: 10

Postby thatpinoydude » 15 Jun 2016, 07:38

Hemorrhoids dont have sense perceptors except when prolapsed.

Maybe thats a fissure? Or atleast thats how mine felt before it tore open.

Just in case, you may ask your g.p. Or g.s. For an opinion

Be well
thatpinoydude
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby chachacha » 15 Jun 2016, 08:41

Fissures can have skin tags (external) that look so much like hemmies that many GP's mistake them for just that. Also, internally, fissures can cause a papilla to form, which is very tender to the touch (like skin tags can be sometimes too). Good that you have an appointment with a surgeon coming up soon, because he/she will be able to confirm the diagnosis either way. Good luck!
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby thatpinoydude » 16 Jun 2016, 06:22

Are papillas similar to polyps? I had this "papilla" sitting right next to my fissure then then my surgeon did a polypectomy to remove it, along with 3 other smaller rectal polyps.
thatpinoydude
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Optimist » 01 Aug 2016, 07:25

Hope your surgeon meeting went well. I have myself some experience about these problems. I have lived through 1 colonoscopy and 1 sigmoidoscopy. Both done without any anesthesia; and boy the colonoscopy hurt in the curves (they did comment that my colon was uncommonly "tight"). Besides this, I have also had rubber band treatment (without anesthesia). The rubber band was easy, but I think the pain is relative to the banded hemorrhoid type. If it is nearer your anal opening, then it will hurt. Ten years ago I went through a full Milligan with also removal of a rectal relapse. Unfortunately the surgeon said that he could not remove all the hemorrhoid mass, because of fear of stenosis (narrowing). I could not beforehand imagine how painful the healing would be. But I survived. During these ten years I was quite happy with the result of the operation; no more bleeding and almost pain free. Until a couple of months ago when I got food poisoning in Bangkok. Oh no ! I managed during my bouts of diarrhea to give birth to some new painful hemorrhoids and went to another operation 13 days ago. The operation went well but to my surprise the surgeon did yet again the Milligan (+ sphincterotomy). He said that this time everything has been removed and no more hemorrhoids left. Anyway, this time I DID know what to expect after my Milligan operation. The first week was hell. Could not walk properly, pain during BM and that constant nasty discharge. But I am getting better; yesterday at day 12 I skipped all pain medications (just ate paracetamol for 4 days before that) and doing yoga exercises daily helps a lot. One thing I found out is that rubbing Tiger Balm on your ass cheeks (not near the hole, of course) relaxes everything muscular (sphincter spasms, burning, itching) very good. Another good trick is to have a couple of frozen pea plastic bags in the freezer. During the first week the burning pain after a BM can be somewhat numbed by pressing the frozen pea bag against your ass. Anyway, I am myself very pleased with the surgery and hope that everyone that goes through this will heal quickly and my best wishes on their way to recovery.
Optimist