Ointments & Clothing

Stopping the dreaded staining!!

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Ointments & Clothing

Postby DubWantsToBeHealed » 08 Apr 2016, 16:48

Hey y'all,

I've been using the prescribed nifedipine and nitroglycerin for my AF for about 2 1/2 months now but, for most of that time, I've been either standing, kneeling, or laying down. I kid you not, with the exception of using the restroom in the morning and during my short drive to the grocery store, I haven't sat down since January. I'm lucky to have a job that lets me telework, so I stand while doing so.

The reason for this is because of the "seeping" caused by the ointments (more the oily nifedipine than the nitroglycerin)...I noticed that it had stained through my underwear and shorts and onto the cushion I was sitting on last time I tried to sit down back in late January, which poses countless potentially embarrassing situations. I'm due to stop using both ointments within the next few days (except for the nitro, which I plan on continuing to use for a little while longer due to an occasional external "burn/bleed" somewhere in the top corner between my hemorrhoids and coccyx...I've had this before, so I don't think it's related to the AF I've been suffering from the last couple of months), so I was wondering for future reference, is there any way to avoid the seeping and staining? Maybe I'm using too much? I'm not so much worried about using strictly near the top as I described since gravity doesn't seem to affect that as much as what I've been using on/in my actual hole area. If this happens again (hopefully NOT), I'd like to not go an insane amount of time w/o sitting for fear of what I could be leaving behind wherever I sit.

Thanks!
DubWantsToBeHealed
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: Ointments & Clothing

Postby Casperblue » 21 Apr 2016, 16:55

I think you might be using too much ointment. A pea size was all i was told. How much do you use?
Casperblue
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby DubWantsToBeHealed » 22 Apr 2016, 14:53

A pretty good amount, basically coating my entire anal/rectal hole within the cheeks with the ointments...I haven't used the nifedipine in about a week, so just been strictly with the nitroglycerin, which seems to "hold together" better than the nifedipine. I was never really told how much to use and I guess since the original fissure was more internal, hence harder to reach, I erred on the side of too much than too little. But, I have started to use less since I'm noticing almost the same results regardless of how much ointment is used.
DubWantsToBeHealed
Fibre Addict

Postby Casperblue » 22 Apr 2016, 15:12

You dont need to use that much, the internal sphincteris what you are aiming for and its not that big. Its only in the canal...its a wonder you havent fainted from using so much. Lower blood pressure is a side effect of these meds, which are actually used for high blood pressure and heart attacks.
Casperblue
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby DubWantsToBeHealed » 22 Apr 2016, 15:21

Good to know, Casper...thank you!! The pharmacy was very vague in the amount used, only really saying that too much would lead to a headache, which I've had and usually didn't last very long. But, now that you mention it, the day I opened and used my second fresh jar, I did feel almost kind of hungover for a little bit that day, which is odd in my case since I haven't touched a drink in over 4 years (I just attributed it to being too sedentary and possibly something I ate the day before).

Since I was in so much pain initially, feeling like that whole area was on fire and battered, I just went for it. Seriously, thank you SO much for your info; now I know what amount to aim for from here on...just a light coating, yes (keeping in mind the newer "burn/bleed" I mentioned earlier)?
DubWantsToBeHealed
Fibre Addict