How to tell if an anal fissure is healing?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

How to tell if an anal fissure is healing?

Postby Littleskater » 16 May 2016, 09:15

Hi everyone, I just joined this forum because my anal fissure is giving me quite a lot of trouble. I'm 19, female, and have had the fissure for almost two weeks. I went to the doctor already and he told me to heal it on my own and come back in three weeks if I wasn't satisfied. Three weeks of pain!

Anyways, my question is that my pain is lessening after each bowel movement but the blood is still very present each time. Can I be healing even though there is blood?

I take two stool softeners daily, lots of water, and 4 sitz baths for pain (they are the only thing that helps) I know Advil will help but I'm scared it will constipate me. I feel like I'm getting nowhere because I'm having a BM everyday! (There goes the healing :cry:)

One more question. I developed a skin tag? After about one week in. Does this mean my fissure is/will be chronic? It's grown quite a lot. And frankly, it kind of grosses me out!

Thank you so much for reading this and any help you can give!

:Rock:
Littleskater

Topics: 1

Re: How to tell if an anal fissure is healing?

Postby Canadabum » 17 May 2016, 16:27

Your fissure is not chronic yet...you are still in the acute phase. I think it takes about 8 weeks to become chronic....regardless of the skin tag. The tag will likely settle down once the fissure settles down...so try and not worry about it for now...you can deal with it once the fissure is gone.

Healing will show up with lessened pain, reduced or no bleeding -- eating and drinking well are important and good for you for doing that and including a softener. Sitz baths are also great. I would highly recommend you get a prescription for fissure cream like nifedipine asap and apply 3x a day for 8 weeks -- this will help the healing process. Also -- you may want to sit on a heating pad or something warm to further stimulate blood flow to the area.

Yes - you can be healing with presence of blood...but logically it should be smaller and smaller amounts over time rather than getting worse...the healing process takes time.

Keep us posted.

Canadabum
Canadabum

Topics: 19

Postby Littleskater » 28 Jun 2016, 11:52

Hi Canadabum, just an update. For about 2-3 weeks I've had no pain! (hallelujah) However, the skin tag is still very present and I bleed quite often when having a BM. My stool is soft and I have stopped the sitz baths. I'm not sure if the bleeding now is from the irritated skin tag or not... not sure if I have gone chronic.
Littleskater

Topics: 1

Postby Canadabum » 29 Jun 2016, 16:27

The bleeding is no fun for sure and can be distressing...but doesnt mean that you are not healing. The fact that you have no pain is great....and in terms of where the bleeding is coming from...why not go to your doc and get it looked at. Take the guess work out of this.

Personally I would continue the sitz bath regimen...maintains a clean area and continues to stimulate the blood flow.

All best - CB
Canadabum

Topics: 19

Postby randyyang » 06 Jul 2016, 00:06

For my case, I stick to strict diet for a month make sure the stool soft enough, Haven't had pain and retear for 4 weeks now, but lately when i have BM, I can feel the fissure site still there when stool passing by with no pain/blood at all, it just feel a little burn after, really confused.
randyyang
Salt Bather

Topics: 12

Postby Lostandconfused » 11 Aug 2016, 09:55

Littleskater how are you feeling? I'm hoping I'm in the healing phase too but also have a gross skin tag
Lostandconfused
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Postby Myitzu » 11 Aug 2016, 20:38

I haven't had any blood over a month and I am still applying for Nitro cream for two times a day. But I got urgent BM in last few days and almost passed liquid poo. After that, when I applied the Nitro cream inside and I felt stinging sensation but no pain after applying cream or either after BM.
Is it normal because I do not want to tear my fissure again, thanks.
Myitzu
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby dmahar » 29 Aug 2016, 16:30

Hi all been reading your post and have done everything that ii can possibly think of. My dr. Said sounds like a fissure . No exam nothing ..everything hurts and it has disrupted my life. Work fun vacation. I'm scheduled for a colonoscopy in 2 mos had this for two months already. Tell me if any cream or ointment helped You...the butt paste higher in zinc does nothing...so lost
dmahar

Postby MattMecham » 05 Sep 2016, 19:39

My two cents: Once you can pinch a loaf without twisting the bathroom towel bar into new and exciting shapes, I'd say you're on the road to healing. That being said, I think too many people start to get overly hopeful that all is well when they begin to feel a little better, and start getting sloppy with treatments/diet/etc., and then they tear the fissure open again. I mean, a person with a fissure knows what life is like when the fissure is in full-bloom . . . why in hell would they actively choose to make that pain come back?!?! And all over a stupid bag of chips, or some such thing. Puzzling. Anyhow, good luck to you as you battle the DemiFissure!
Semper Fi,

Matt
MattMecham
Salt Bather

Topics: 3