Yet another "post surgery, is this normal?" thread (sorry)

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

Re: Yet another "post surgery, is this normal?" thread (sorr

Postby afsguy300 » 02 May 2016, 10:51

Hemm44 wrote:
afsguy300 - How is your progress?

Hi Hemm44! Thank you so much for posting this update, I appreciate it because it makes me wonder if I should be getting a second opinion before "going under". I have my follow up in 2 weeks, I haven't seen any trace pus in at least a week, even a few weeks ago it was still a tiny little dot (the size of a flax seed), odorless and almost totally clear. I am seeing my family doctor for a physical next week and will discuss this with him (the idea of a second opinon or if its good to go under to "explore" a fistula that appears to have healed!)

I'm not a doctor, but it seems strange to want to put me under anesthesia, cut open this area even further etc. when I feel absolutely no pain, the pus is a trace amount and less and less over time etc.

Hemm - do you mind if I ask what country you're from?
afsguy300
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Hemm44 » 02 May 2016, 12:19

I'm from the USA.
When my CRS examined me last week, he was confident that the scar from the fistula surgery was still healing, which has resulted in the small amount of yellow discharge that I am experiencing. He was confident that over time, the scar would heal completely and the discharge would stop. I have a follow up appt in 7 weeks. If the scar hasn't healed 100%, the CRS mentioned that he could "ZAP" it, which would solve the problem. He strongly recommended the natural method first. If you have any hesitancy, I would go for a 2nd opinion. There is no downside in doing so.
Hemm44

Postby afsguy300 » 13 May 2016, 21:45

Hemm44 wrote:I would go for a 2nd opinion. There is no downside in doing so.

Update! So I went to see another doctor who said that if I have no discharge or any symptoms or pain etc. for the last 3 weeks, then I'm healed or almost done healing. He said there is no reason to go under anesthesia and open up the fistula etc. if everything has gone away and I feel fine. This probably sounds obvious, but the first doctor I saw seemed so adamant that this was required so I really had to hear this from another doctor.

For a while I thought "wow this will never end" but sure enough one day it just stopped (the discharge) after dissipating over the weeks. I really thought this was going to go on forever and I had so much anxiety over it, but this is actually resolving and I feel great! I love this forum so much, the support I got here was better than the clinic in many ways :)
afsguy300
Fibre Addict

Postby afsguy300 » 26 Jun 2016, 13:24

Hemm44 wrote:I'm from the USA.
.... I have a follow up appt in 7 weeks. If the scar hasn't healed 100%, the CRS mentioned that he could "ZAP" it, which would solve the problem. He strongly recommended the natural method first.

Hey there, I was wondering how you were doing! I hope your follow up went well and you don't need any more medical attention from your CRS! I seem to have healed totally, no symptoms or anything for several weeks now. I am so happy because when I first joined this forum I had high anxiety and really thought it would never be over.

I hope you're doing well Hemm44!
afsguy300
Fibre Addict