How long for internal fissure to heal?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

How long for internal fissure to heal?

Postby rtb » 06 Jul 2016, 10:33

Hi all,

About 2 months ago I had a hard painful stool and noticed a red streak and blood on the toilet paper. It freaked me out so I went and got a stool softener and took it for about 2-3 weeks thinking that everything would have been healed down there. I was wrong. I stopped taking the stool softener and after my first hard bowel movement it was more blood than ever before. I decided to go see the doctor and he said it was most likely an internal fissure. He said to take Miralax and Epsom salt baths. So I've been doing that for almost two weeks but the problem is I don't know how long it will take for this thing to heal and I'm afraid to stop taking the Miralax because of what happened last time. I don't actually "feel" any pain down there now (it was only when I had a hard stool and the time afterwards) so how I am I supposed to tell if it's healed or not? I know that this is probably different for everyone but what I foresee happening is that I will stop taking the Miralax and then I will just have another rupture and have to start over again. I can't take Miralax forever! This is so frustrating! Any words of advice from those who have experienced something similar? Thanks.
rtb

Topics: 1

Re: How long for internal fissure to heal?

Postby jlm1 » 06 Jul 2016, 11:34

Hi there,
Fissures can take a long time to heal. Keep up with the miralax, take warm baths, use a hot water bottle, eat fiber. There's lots of good info on this site. Hang in there!
fissure May 2014
nitro, diltiazem
botox July
fistula surgery, piece of skin tag removed Oct
fissure declared healed Dec
currently have burning/pain-told it is nerve pain
physical therapy, sitz baths, valium suppositories
hoping I am healing
jlm1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 22

Re: How long for internal fissure to heal?

Postby randyyang » 07 Jul 2016, 02:51

Hi there

I can feel you, I developed two fissure in may I think both they are internal, had couple of retorn, then stick to strict diet in Jun, it's been a month now i haven't had pain and retorn, but I can still feel the scraping feeling down there when i have BM, it just discomfort but no pain, I guess i'll give it another month to see if will it gets better, i heard someone on this site even took from couple of months to over a year to fully heal up. guess we have to see
randyyang
Salt Bather

Topics: 12