Fissure Recurrence after LIS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Fissure Recurrence after LIS

Postby goku3335 » 09 Apr 2016, 20:45

Ok, my story starts in 2012ish if memory serves. I suffered a fissure which I could feel open every BM not much pain though during BM. I waited more than a year trying to heal with conservative measures (sitz baths, nitro, fiber, miralax, dulcolax, desitin, etc) to no avail. I then finally submitted to LIS surgery May of 2013 which wasn't that bad and worked after about 8 weeks. I then was fissure free until March 29th 2016. Now I believe I may have another fissure because I'm experiencing similar symptoms that are slightly different. This time I can't feel a tear at all during BM. The CRS couldn't find or see anything after two exams and sent me on my way with diltazem (sp). During the first exam he initially suspected an abscess and prescribed antibiotics which didn't help at all. During the second exam he said you don't have a fissure pretty confidently and that he wouldn't consider a LIS since I already had one and there was nothing more he could do. He mentioned incontinence risk goes up with additional LIS procedures. He also said I'm in a cycle and need to break it... I still feel the pain all day its a dull pain that never goes away with an occasional spasmish feeling and is frequently worse at night. I never have pain during BM that is any different that the regular pain. I never see blood or have bad BM's. They are always pretty much normal. With the first fissure I think I could remember the actual BM that I think caused it, but with this one I just don't see anything that could have caused it. Pretty much at a loss here.
goku3335
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: Fissure Recurrence after LIS

Postby goku3335 » 11 Apr 2016, 23:14

Does anyone know what the next step would be? Has this happened to anyone?
goku3335
Fibre Addict

Postby FissureFighter80 » 19 Apr 2016, 12:14

Consult another CRS would be my advice. Make sure its some one with good reputation.
FissureFighter80
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby goku3335 » 22 Apr 2016, 12:55

I have an appointment next week with someone else. Hopefully they can help.
goku3335
Fibre Addict

Postby goku3335 » 23 Apr 2016, 11:47

Has anyone had a fissure that couldn't be seen or felt while having bowel movements ? I do seem to feel worse at night and after bowel movements. Strangely I've been getting pain in the legs seems like sore shooting nerve pain or something. Also since the antibiotics my bowel movements have been crappy (pun). I usually had one per day in the morning but now I have 3-4 and they are all small and mostly not watery.
goku3335
Fibre Addict

Postby goku3335 » 01 Jul 2016, 21:40

So, saw other CRS and had pelvic MRI, anoscope, ultrasound, colonoscopy, and multiple exams. The pain is still there it now doesn't feel like a fissure it's a sore inflamed type feeling like sitting with a golf ball up my rectum. No fissure but this pain seems more bothersome... My back has also become very involved I'm always trying to stretch and pop it but to no avail. I'm really lost don't know where to go from here. I am coming off of diazepam I have been taking small doses like 6 mg every few weeks for a few years now. I hear it can cause muscle spasm but I really don't know if that's what's causing this. Basically constant low back pain around tail bone area and golf ball sphincter pain and it seems that my external sphincter won't relax I have to concentrate to relax it and before I know it its flexed again... I wonder if the external sphincter is just strained and sore from all the flexing that is supposed to be voluntary but for me is involuntary which is odd. The only thing that relieves the pain is a couple of glasses of whiskey I still feel it but it's way less intense.. Has anyone else felt any of this?
goku3335
Fibre Addict

Postby Deleted User 4175 » 15 Aug 2016, 17:04

ave just read your last post which I could have written myself. I have had fissures, fissurectomys, and LIS which I do not think ever helped, a thrombosed peri-rectal vein removal, Botox and lots of EUAs. I take 2mg of Diazepam nightly and cannot bring that down as my pain increases. Likes you I feel a golf ball feeling to one side of my rectum. I have a lot of internal scar tissue with all the previous ops but I know how they feel and the symptoms are not coming from them. I also find a couple of strong whiskies really helps. I do not feel I can do this too often though with the diazepam. I have suffered with these issues for two years now with no real diagnosis and am now gathering the strength to start again with a different consultant (gynae) to see if investigations into pelvic floor might be more fruitful. Happy to talk about this with you if you want to pm me. Hope you are functioning ok at the moment and in a bit of a reprieve stage.
Deleted User 4175