Post Sphincterotomy Questions

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Post Sphincterotomy Questions

Postby disneylover424 » 21 Sep 2016, 11:39

hello! I am a 25 year old female and I am on my 3rd day of post op from a sphinterotomy. I have a lot of concerns because my doctor didn't go over a lot with me and has been busy every time I call with questions! I had my first BM today after taking philips caplets (laxative) and metamucil tablets (fiber laxative) since i came home from the surgery. It was EXTREMELY painful! Worse than when I only had the fissures! I had to push a lot even though I have been taking the medication correctly and havnet taken any pain meds other than tylenol. I am very worried i ripped the stitches! There was probably blood on the stool, but only a few small drops on the wet towel i used after. i am at work so i wasnt able to do the sitz bath after but now walking is pretty painful and uncomfortable. i called the nurse and she said it doesnt sound like anything to be too concerned about but my dr is in surgery for 5 hours and cant talk to me. she said she will have him call me but im not holding my breath. Also, they keep asking about gauze coming out but i havent seen any and i have no idea if they put any in me, so now im worried that they did and its stuck! how would i know if i ripped stitches? im afraid to ever go BM again because the pain was awful! almost like it got stuck and was just ripping the stitches open!

Any answers or help would be great. I'm also a dancer and have an intense dance rehearsal tomorrow that I HAVE to be at because it is my solo, and i was told by my doctor i would be fine in a few days. Will i be alright to move around tomorrow?If i had known it would take so long to heal i would have waited!

Thanks in advance!
disneylover424

Topics: 1

Re: Post Sphincterotomy Questions

Postby Happyending » 21 Sep 2016, 17:47

Wow, I am by no means an expert, and my LIS initiation will not happen until tomorrow. Yet, I am amazed you are back at work only three days after surgery. Some people heal faster, some take more time. And while I am hoping for a quick recovery myself I have no illusions that dancing on day 4 or 5 post op is simply not going to happen. I think you might be doing quite some damage if you did that. Please reconsider it. I am concerned about you. Your health and healing should be the number one priority.
As for your other questions, I am sorry I don't know the answers.
Happyending
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby Buttpalsteven » 21 Sep 2016, 23:52

For some reason, I am having trouble posting! This is the third time I've written my response lol so I apologize for the brevity. I agree with Happyending. Your health needs to be your focus right now. You know your body better than anyone, but keep in mind the Doc just cut your muscle open a few days ago. It takes time to heal. Any stretching or pulling can severely slow your healing and could possibly make things worse. Talk to your coach, I imagine he/she will be lenient. Hopefully they can let you skip for a day, but if not, he/she should at least keep your requirements to the bear minimum.

I doubt you had a gauze pad, of if you did, it's possible you passed it without realizing it with your first BM. My padding caused me a lot of pain, I was extremely packed though I couldn't even pass gas with it in. You likely would not have been able to pass a BM without taking the padding out first.

I highly doubt you ripped your stitches. Blood after surgery is completely normal. You will have pain and pressure with your first few BM. I know you are scared of taking your next Poo but the sooner it happens the better off you are. Keep your BM as regular as possible. If you wait, they become harder and more compact, making them more dangerous to pass. You can read my bio about my first few Poos! They get easier, I promise.

I'm sorry your Doc didn't properly prep you for post surgery. General rule of thumb is 2 weeks no exercise at all, and 4 weeks before doing any heavy lifting or workouts that involve straining (like leg day or dancing!). Everyone heals at different speeds.. but doing intense dancing 4 days post LIS just sounds like something I personally wouldn't risk.. but your life and deadlines are your business.. I wish you the best and hope you heal quickly.

Best,
Steven

Edit: I forgot to mention also that not everyone even has stitches. Some Docs leave their patient with an open cut!
Buttpalsteven
Salt Bather

Postby Happyending » 23 Sep 2016, 08:51

After having my LIS yesterday I can add that also I didn't have any padding inside, or so it seems. Just on the outside.
However, my swelling on the left side is extreme, while the LIS cut is on the right size. Left side is rock hard. Due to the swelling the padding is help in place loosely, but not really inside. I was able to pass gas ass well.
Happyending
Salt Bather

Postby disneylover424 » 23 Sep 2016, 10:17

Update! I was able to dance yesterday with no issues! BM is still a little painful but they've been fairly soft so it hasn't been bad. My doctor told me that he barely had to make a cut in my muscle which is why I'm feeling better quickly and able to be so active. Still taking it slow and not pushing when something feels uncomfortable but after the first few days and that scare I had about ripping my stitches, I feel a ton better! Everyone told me that the 3rd day would be the worst and it definitely was, so I'm hoping this is a start to a life with painless BMs! Thank you all for your input and advice!
disneylover424

Postby Buttpalsteven » 23 Sep 2016, 10:24

I was thinking about you yesterday! Glad that practice went well and that you are feeling better!! Sounds like you are healing fast, congrats!
Buttpalsteven
Salt Bather

Postby Happyending » 23 Sep 2016, 15:50

Wow, so glad to hear that everything went well!,
Happyending
Salt Bather