SURGERY COMPLETE......WOOH HOOH!!!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

SURGERY COMPLETE......WOOH HOOH!!!

Postby Rcece » 05 Oct 2016, 08:40

Well......the big day and has come and gone. Im so happy that I made it to the other side. The past 5-6 months have been hell. When I scheduled the LIS surgery two weeks ago the anticipation and anxiety was through the roof. Actually broke down in front of my wife because of how nervous I was. Didnt sleep more then a couple hrs the days leading to surgery. Here was my surgery day schedule:

Surgery time was at 12:30

Arrival at surgery center in Princeton, NJ was at 11:30. The Dr. who performed the "Closed LIS" was Dr. Liam Smith (nice younger guy who has great bedside manner).

Had to take a fleet enema 90 minutes before I left my home and that cleaned me out rather quickly. It was also pretty painful. I definitely had some major spasms on our way to the hospital and I actually was happy about it. Part of me was hoping I didnt feel good going to the hospital so I didnt have second thoughts about what I was doing. My wife took off work to help me out for the day. We arrived at the hospital and my heart started pounding. Registered and waited about 20 minutes before the sweetest nurse came through the double doors calling my name. I kissed my wife and headed off. I went through the typical protocol of questions, checking vitals, etc. A nurse started my IV and I was begging for the anesthesiologist to arrive so the "happy drug" could start flowing through my vein. He finally arrived (very sweet man) with my Surgeon. They had both finished lunch and were both trying to cheer me up. My doctor joked about how I was kissing up to the anesthesiologist when he's the one I needed to kiss up to. He said it with a smile and I appreciated his sarcasm. He explained exactly what he planned on doing (pending what else he may see). He walked off to get changed and the anesthesiologist started the happy drug. This was the first time I didnt care about anything. I was so nervous all week and completely petrified while I waited to be called and I finally felt at peace. They waited about 5 more minutes and started rolling me off to the operating room. I was surprised how many people were in there (about 4 or 5). The plan was to have me roll onto my stomach with my arms under my head. I slowly tried to get comfortable and heard someone say "enjoy the nap" and then within a flash I was slowly coming to my senses in the recovery room. Apparently I was in there for only about 10-15 minutes. I had absolutely zero pain when waking. I was stilly very foggy and was given some water to sip on. As I came to my senses my wife had arrived and the Dr shortly after. He explained the fissure was deep and was not very noticeable during his initial rectal exam. Some of the other Colon/Rectal surgeons I spoke to thought there was no need for surgery because my fissure was "almost" completely healed. I guess some of them can be really hard to see during rectal exams. I relied on my body and the pain I was going through on a daily basis to help with the decision. The Dr said only after he really had an opportunity to examine that area did he notice how deep it was and no creams, baths, etc, would've healed it. I completely agreed with him because nothing I was doing was helping and I was very disciplined. He said shaved the edges of the fissure, performed Closed LIS by puncturing and cutting a tiny part of the sphincter, and removed a skin tag. He said he injected the area with a long-acting anesthetic which should last about 18-24hrs. He prescribed me percocets and said take them as needed. My post-op appt is set for 2 weeks out. Had no pain when I got home and had some light dinner (crab cake, mixed veggies, and mashed potatoes.) Also took a ducolax and some magnesium. Made my way up to bed around 8pm. I typically get a little gassy at night no matter what I eat so that was a little strange. I had a gauze pad shoved up there and it felt weird not being able to release the gas. I fell asleep with no problems and woke up around 5am. I got up to use the restroom and definitely started to feel a bit uncomfortable. I also started to feel a little churning down there (like a BM was nearing). I started to panic because I was still trying to wake up. I prepared the tub with some luke warm water and started pacing around like I was about to spar with Mohammed Ali. I started feeling some pain as if pressure was nearing that area. I was still so numb and couldnt really feel those typical sensations. I took off all my clothes, squatted over the toilet, and within 5 seconds I started to go. The pain was excruciating and my wife immediately ran over and asked if I needed help. Im glad I locked the door because there was no way our relationship wouldnt be scorned if she saw me in this condition. I was sweating, almost crying, and was like a statue over the toilet. It was a nice movement but I wasnt sure I was done. I figured Id get in the tub and immediately had some relief. Also felt like Ali got the best of me with just one quick jab. As I lay in the tub with warm water running.....remnants of stool and some blood slowly made there way to the drain. The pain slowly started to subside and I begun to notice it was a different pain then Im used to. It was a more localized pain and not that spasm pain. I lay there and instead of feeling beat down I realized that I did it. I had the surgery, had my first BM, and now can get on with recovery. I took a while to get cleaned up and dry. Popped an Aleve and went back to the bedroom. I noticed the array of creams, ointments, plastic wrap, etc. The nitrogylcerin, nifedipine, petroleum jelly, latex finger cots, and hydrocortisone suppositories all seemed lonely this morning. I hope I never need that stuff ever again. Some days they helped but it was never enough. Not sure how long it will be before I sit without pain or poop without pain but I honestly dont care. The surgery is over and Im so glad I did it.

PS- I tooted once or twice and noticed some leakage so we'll see how long that lasts. Guess its a small price to pay since Im only 1 day post surgery. Cant wait to sip on a cocktail and cheers to better days.
Rcece
Fibre Addict

Topics: 10

Re: SURGERY COMPLETE......WOOH HOOH!!!

Postby LISmaybe » 05 Oct 2016, 11:52

Goodon you mate do keep us updated with your recovery.
LISmaybe

Postby chachacha » 05 Oct 2016, 13:29

A huge congrats! Please do keep us updated.

:Rock:
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby Savaici » 05 Oct 2016, 13:57

:afsmile: Great news! Keep letting us know how you're doing.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Happyending » 05 Oct 2016, 14:16

Congratulation, you did it!! It will all get better from here on. And if there are little setbacks along the way, don't get frustrated, seems to be normal.
Happyending
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby Rcece » 05 Oct 2016, 14:35

Thank you everyone. There is no way I could have done it without this forum. I think I joined in June and I learned so much so quickly. It really is like living in a nightmare. It takes over your life. To be honest......I told a lot of people I was having "back" surgery because I was ashamed (embarrassed) to tell people the truth. I never felt that way on this forum (ever). I am forever grateful for it. I will continue to post my progress in hopes to help others.
Rcece
Fibre Addict

Topics: 10

Postby sandrasmiles7 » 05 Oct 2016, 22:09

Thank you so much for sharing
sandrasmiles7
Salt Bather

Topics: 7