Recurring Fissure

Why won't it go away ?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Recurring Fissure

Postby Pokey » 22 Oct 2016, 10:52

I had a LIS in 2004 which was successful and I was fissure and pain free for 12 years. Then this spring I got another small fissure and went through typical treatment of using nifedipine oinment, increased my fiber and took Miralax. It went away. CRS said it was healed. So I went about my daily life without fiber supplementation or Miralax eating my normal diet which includes lots of veggies and fruit. WELL, the damned fissure keeps trying to come back. One day everything is fine and then I have a difficult BM and the pain starts slipping in the door again. My doc has pretty much recommended I take a fiber supplement and Miralax daily.
My question is are there others here who experienced something similar. I don't understand why after being pain free for 12 years this problem would come back. I don't know what I can do other than to take the fiber supplement and the Miralax or have another surgery. It's very frustrating.
Pokey
Pokey
Salt Bather

Topics: 20

Re: Recurring Fissure

Postby Idaho2017 » 21 Nov 2016, 00:27

Fissures can start out as abscesses. A small scratch or tear is enough to let bacteria in. The wound may heal but the abscess has begun and is festering and growing beneath the skin. This could be what happened- which can happen at any time. Or the fistula could have opened up again- for some unknown reason. My surgeon said this can happen at anytime. They don't know why. Also- reasearch shows fistulas generally open up again within a few years- even after surgery or a period of being gone.
Idaho2017

Topics: 1

Postby Idaho2017 » 21 Nov 2016, 00:28

Fissures can start out as abscesses. A small scratch or tear is enough to let bacteria in. The wound may heal but the abscess has begun and is festering and growing beneath the skin. This could be what happened- which can happen at any time. Or the fistula could have opened up again- for some unknown reason. My surgeon said this can happen at anytime. They don't know why. Also- reasearch shows fistulas generally open up again within a few years- even after surgery or a period of being gone.
Idaho2017

Topics: 1

Postby Pokey » 21 Nov 2016, 11:44

I have not had a fistula that I know of. The CRS did not hint at that when I saw him last. But thanks for the info. I will keep that in mind for future reference.
Pokey
Salt Bather

Topics: 20