Movico/miralax side effects?!!!

Does movicol/miralax make you gassy

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Movico/miralax side effects?!!!

Postby Aliaa » 30 Oct 2016, 11:04

Hi
I am searching for a substitute of lactulose to take it during my period cuz I figured lactulose is not that effective during my period timing ( I get constipated despite taking 2 spoons) plus giving me a hell of gases. When my period is over, it's effect starts to kick in so I get diarrhea, lots of gases I felt my stomach gonna burst, and the anus area (internal wall of the anus) burns me a lot even after hours of doing the BM (is it a return fissure?!!) so I was wondering does movicol or minalax makes you gassy?!! Or bulky?!! Or any side effects. I was doing great post surgery until my period approaches every time :((
PS I sometimes also feel a throb near my tailbone area (there was one of fissures near it pre-surgery) does it mean my fissure is re-opening?!!) how does it feel that a fissure is reopened though no blood on stool?!!
Please help!!
Aliaa
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Re: Movico/miralax side effects?!!!

Postby sore » 30 Oct 2016, 17:05

Hi Aliaa,

I have been taking Movicol consistently for the last 7 months (initially 2 a day and after about 2 months my CRS bumped me up to 3). At first I became VERY bloated with a serious gurgly tum pretty much all the time, but that calmed down after about 3 months and now I just become a bit bloated but without any discomfort and the gurgling is pretty sporadic. I do find that I can also get constipated around the time of my period. It's only ever lasted 1-3 days (though I know what you mean - seriously crazy when you are taking so much stuff to keep things moving). Before taking the Movicol, I always got a bit of diarrhoea at the time of my period so I know it is definitely a combo of the medication and my hormones. I think they must just interact weirdly.

Also, with this fissure, I pretty much have had no blood (maybe once or twice) the whole 7 months I have had it so no blood doesn't always mean no fissure/retear. I get a throbbing too (feels like the intense throbbing you get if you whack your thumb with a hammer) - it comes and goes to various severities when my butt is spasming. I always just thought this was related to the spams. Could be wrong.... I haven't had the surgery though, only Botox, so maybe something different is going on for you.

Do you have a post op visit scheduled with your CRS?
sore
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby Aliaa » 31 Oct 2016, 03:24

Hi Sore
It seems to me that Movicol's side effects are similar to lactulose. Lactulose causes bloating and floated stool. I stopped taking it after a month and a half after surgery. But i gets forced to use a softener each time my period comes. It doesnot help though, those 3 days of period i still becomes constipated. When it is over, the lactulose edfect kicks in and suddenly i become bloated with diarreha even after stopping taking it. Do u get constipated during ur period even with the movicol?!!
Another thing is the burning/stinging i feel right now is in tge internal wall of the anus opening, not exactly in the middle between the anus and the tailbone as was here located my second fissure. The pain is almost in the surface. Plus the throb pain near the tailbone. It is not exactly a hammer-like pain (i dont scream when it throbs), it is a dull one but i keep feeling it is there, esp. When i sit leaning my back on the chair-back.
I consulted another dr other than my surgeon cuz i have done the surgery before i travel. So i cannot meet him. The other dr has done an external examination and told me there is nothing out of ordinary. But pain must have a source, esp this tailbone one that i havenot seen anyone suffering from it here post-op except me. Does my body gets adapted?! I dunno. Some here talk about incision site pain, scar tissue pain. I dunno how they make a difference between all these. I just feel i am sick of life.
I u are not bleeding, how do u know then that the fissure is still there?!
Aliaa
Salt Bather

Postby Intobetterdays » 02 Apr 2017, 20:11

My tag incision site hasn't healed yet I think. Every 6-7 days it "pops open" and I get burning at the surface. There's irritation afterwards. I notice it happens when the BM moves super fast.
Intobetterdays
Fibre Addict

Postby Aliaa » 02 Apr 2017, 23:36

Hi Intobetterdays,
How long have you done your surgery?! Yes I felt the burning sensation for the first month. After a month I have seen blood in the toilet but nothing was paining me. Just tell me how long have you been feeling like that?!
Aliaa
Salt Bather

Postby Intobetterdays » 02 Apr 2017, 23:37

4 months post surgery, last 2 months been feeling the burn post BM. It's frustrating >_< I don't feel 100% normal yet. How about you?
Intobetterdays
Fibre Addict

Postby Chambers21 » 03 Apr 2017, 07:26

I too get bad reactions with Dulcoease and Lactulose. What seems to work for me is prunes. Now, I can't eat them because I absolutely can't stand the taste so I put them in my Nutribullet and make a smoothie. The number of prunes you use can vary highly between each person. I used 8 and without too much detail that was definitely too many. I now use 4-6 depending on what else I have eaten that day.

A great recipe is -

4-6 Prunes
1/4 of a Pineapple
1 Kiwi
1 Passionfruit (seeds included)
Mix with water/ ice until you have your preferred consistency. I like to leave it pretty thick because it feels like I'm getting more of the fibre.

Seems to work for me and I've been messing around with my diet for about 2/3 years now and this is the best option I've tried so far.
Chambers21
Fibre Addict