AF - two steps forward, one step back?

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

AF - two steps forward, one step back?

Postby Melan » 12 Nov 2016, 07:23

Hello, I'm happy to find this community, thank you!

I think I developed a AF with the birth of my baby 3 months ago. I made some poor dietary choices right after birth (lots of celebratory simple carbs) plus a natural tendency toward constipation led to some rough bowel movements. At first there was little bleeding and pain, but as the weeks went on the razor blade sensation got much worse. I didn't have many occasions when it was painful between BMs, but the BMs themselves were pretty awful. I knew I wasn't taking great care of myself with diet and drinking enough water (breastfeeding), and I have a bad coffee habit.

Eventually I couldn't ignore it anymore; I decided to apply myself to healing before seeing a doctor. I changed my diet and started a magnesium supplement (haven't ditched the coffee though). The BMs got a lot softer and less painful, and it had been 2-3 weeks since I last saw any bleeding.

Then I let my guard down and didn't stick to diet/water as diligently as I should have (election day stress eating!!). This was followed by a large BM with the old razor pain. On the tissue I saw blood again. It's discouraging, but I am resolved to go back to the routine that seems to work and not stray from that for a while.

It seems like healing is a fragile thing? Is it normal to go two steps forward, one step back? I hope I didn't completely sabotage any of the progress I had made. I really don't want to see a doctor unless it is absolutely necessary.
Melan

Topics: 1

Re: AF - two steps forward, one step back?

Postby IronicTwist » 12 Nov 2016, 07:56

I went through the same a few times which convinced me to get LIS. Healed a little, slipped one meal and back to square one. Kept to the diet and water, added magnesium to get stools even softer and that backfired. Stools got acidic and loads of gas together with a hypertonic sphincter put me back further and caused what I suspect a second fissure. Waiting for the op now but still trying to solve this naturally. Even if it does heal before the operation Im still going through and getting the procedure done. I dont want to ever go through this again. I prefer a permanent solution than solving it temporarily
IronicTwist
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Re: AF - two steps forward, one step back?

Postby IronicTwist » 12 Nov 2016, 07:59

If you arent having any spasms but healing is taking a little longer than usual, dont worry about the need for an op. Go to a CRS and see what they advise. Probably with a topic ointment and good diet they could help you. Just dont let it go on and get worse.
IronicTwist
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3