Fissure spasm - possible help

cyclobenzaprine - muscle relaxant

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Fissure spasm - possible help

Postby pwac » 15 Nov 2016, 13:31

I am new to the forum. Just had surgery. But have had 3 fissures over 15 years. 2 treated with dilation. I found something that REALLY helped with spasm pain and not one surgeon ever suggested it. I have used EVERYTHING out there including the creams for spasms. On one particularly horrific day with a spasm that lasted HOURS UPON HOURS my husband finally suggested that if it is the muscle that goes into spasm why not try taking a muscle relaxant. It just so happens I had "cyclobenzaprine" for back pain and I took it. The spasm and accompanying pain went away! It didn't cure the fissure but it helped the muscle relax and stop the pain/spasm cycle.

I told this to the Dr. and he said - yes sometimes I even suggest Valium. so WHY didn't he or any other surgeon tell me this before?? It definitely made me loopy and tired and I couldn't work - but it's not like I could go to work in pain either!! At least I wasn't in agony.!

So I suggest anyone to speak to their Dr about this at least for pain relief. Not sure where to post this on the forum since I couldn't find any other thread about it and I think it is very useful information. Suggestions anyone where to post on the forum so other people can see my suggestion

I am day 5 post op. In pain and I hope this is over soon. I am so thankful for this forum for being a wealth of information and helping me with my decision to have surgery!!

A little "humor" I have found in this:
I never gave the phrase that one uses calling someone a "pain in the ass" much thought until this last fissure. No one ever says - Pain in the ____ (insert any other body part) because there has got to be no other part of the body that can be as painful as the ASS pain!! I also get the phrase "scared shitless" now also because I am scared to poop so I understand how one can be scared SHITLESS!!
pwac
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: Fissure spasm - possible help

Postby Mypoorbutt » 15 Nov 2016, 13:43

Oh thanks for that I'm going to try n see my dr tomorrow as this pain is driving me nuts. Will ask for that...are you in America..just wondering if it will be the same name in the UK.
Hehehe hell yes nothing can come close to the pain of a fissure....way too many nerve endings down there if you ask me....I'm sure we could manage with a lot less. Yes I have spent 18 months being scared shitless and yes I used that joke in the begining now I just want to be normal (ish)
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Re: Fissure spasm - possible help

Postby pwac » 15 Nov 2016, 13:53

I am in New York Cit - America.
http://www.rxlist.com/flexeril-drug.htm is the medication name - generic and brand.
Good luck - I am in so much PAIN at the moment!
pwac
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2