I fought the fissure and won

(I think)

Please help others by posting your success story here. Tell us what worked for you, before you move on with your fissure-free life!!

Return to Anal Fissure Success Stories

I fought the fissure and won

Postby Thankful » 21 Sep 2016, 10:08

Hi,

I began the fissure journey about 8 months ago and have been pain-free for almost two months. Slowly I've been incorporating the foods I gave up, such as cheese, bread, and pasta--but VERY sparingly. I will never return to my old way of eating again.

I want to share what I think was most helpful with my healing:

I ....
-Began to eat A LOT of watery fruits and berries
-Increased the amount of healthy oil and fat in my diet
-Used Key E suppositories coated in coconut oil
-DId not eat cheese/yogurt/kefir, bread, nuts or seeds, pasta, popcorn, chips of any kind, crackers. Nothing hard, sharp, or constipating. If your body can't digest it easily, don't eat it!
-incorporated chia seeds, ground flax seed, shredded coconut, and hemp hearts and powder into my diet. This can be done easily with smoothies.
- took 500 mg of turmeric daily as well as ate foods high in vitamin C and A.
-Made lifestyle changes that would reduce my stress.

If I deviate from a wholesome, relatively macrobiotic diet or don't drink enough water, I can feel the change in my bowels immediately. We are what we eat (and drink).
The silver lining of the fissure cloud is better all-around health, as a fissure diet is a healthy one! I have lost some weight and have experienced fewer colds because of this change to my diet.

I'm pretty sure that ther is scar tissue in the canal, as I can feel a "speed bump" of sorts with a movement. This is not a problem as long as my bowels are soft. It beats where I was, which was blood and spasming weekly, sometimes daily.

I wish all of us continued healing. Stay disciplined in your diet and you should see an improvement.
Thankful
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: I fought the fissure and won

Postby Happyending » 24 Sep 2016, 00:40

It seems that you nailed it. Congratulations. Agree that diet is the key, and if anything, the fissure has taught me how to eat healthy. Unfortunately my diet changes couldn't reverse the damage, I had LIS yesterday. But I intend on keeping my healthy diet.
Happyending
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby Thankful » 26 Sep 2016, 12:06

HAppyending, I hope it is successful for you. No body knows what a "pain" this is, physically, emotionally, and socially until they experience it for themselves. Happy healing.
Thankful
Fibre Addict

Jinxed!

Postby Thankful » 03 Dec 2016, 22:24

No sooner did I post my hopeful success story did it return. Please allow me to pull a seat up to the fissure support table and pour a tall glass of prune juice. The culprit: introducing those old, wonderful everyday foods like cheese and bread. Even sparingly, it was enough to do the trick. I went to the doctor and they believe that I have a new one next to the old one. Swelling is present. My ass hurts. Sigh.
Thankful
Fibre Addict

Postby Happyending » 08 Dec 2016, 02:30

Hey Thankful, I still check the forum from time to time. When I just read about your reaccurance I was not surprised, because I had been there too. LIS changed everything for me and I can only recommend that you do it sooner better than later. My eating habits have gotten worse again, now that I am all healed. I read this forum sometimes to remind myself how miserable I used to be, and to motivate myself to keep a somewhat healthy diet.
Happyending
Salt Bather

Postby Thankful » 08 Dec 2016, 09:24

Dear Happyending,

That is awesome-I am so happy to hear of your success with that. I can't imagine being able to eat whatever I want, like I used to. There are so many comfort foods that I miss like gnocchi, ravioli, and Mac 'n' cheese. How long did you deal with recurrences before you decided to have surgery?
Thankful
Fibre Addict

Postby healthybutt » 14 Dec 2016, 13:09

Hi Thankful,

Sorry to hear about the recurrence. I have had a fissure on and off for the past 8 months, too. I am doing a similar diet as yours now after my 12/4 recurrence, and for the first week things went well having a healthy diet and no dairy, no meat (I'm already veg so this wasnt a problem), limited fried things...lots of smoothies, home-made veggie soups and curries. I felt good. But this week I started to re-introduce some dairy. Yogurt was ok and I am happy I can eat a cup of yogurt without the wrath of hard stools bearing down on my delicate tissues. However, it's the baked xmas goods (cookies, brownies...) that I think are the problem (or eating more of that junk and eating less of the good foods I should be eating)...Not only do I feel worse eating the stuff (after the initial happy feeling), but yesterday I had a scare (not a tear, fortunately), so I am trying to get back on track today with my diet and not eating dairy/sweets and I upped my magnesium from 600 mg to 1000 mg -- I'd rather have diarrhea for a day then re-tear. In fact if I ever lose will power and eat something like pizza or mac n cheese, I will just take more magnesium to make sure things stay soft and loose, which was the strategy I used before I changed my diet and worked until I didnt take enough magnesium. However, having loose stools every day for several days also comes with its own problems, so I knew when I went to see my CRS a month ago that I needed a sustainable solution -- eating healthy!

Anyway, here's to keeping up with healthy habits and hoping they keep fissures at bay!

Happy holidays, with a swig of soy nog (still cant quit sugar entirely...)
healthybutt
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby Thankful » 14 Dec 2016, 21:42

Healthybutt, you're right. The baked and fried foods spell big trouble.

Fortunately, we're in a time when so many claim "restricted diets". So maybe it is not so strange to say "no" to so much "normal" food. Still..tonight I watched my family eat homemade lasagna and I could not have any. Le sigh...

Keep up the good work.
Cheers of soy nog to you and all:)
Thankful
Fibre Addict

Postby healthybutt » 15 Dec 2016, 14:23

Thanks Thankful. Being on a restricted diet during the holidays is difficult, isnt it! I would just leave the house rather than watch and smell lasagna eating...I am one of those people that can't have "just one" when it comes to cheesy and sugary things. Not only are dairy (except yogurt) and sugar frowned upon by my naturopath, but the fact that I tend to go on binges with those foods is really not good considering my torn up butt.

We should copyright "the chronic anal fissure diet" LOL -- "if your family is eating lasagna, get out of the house as quickly as possible and sit in your car and sob"
healthybutt
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby Happyending » 18 Dec 2016, 05:19

Hi Thankful,
As for your question how long I dealt with reaccurrances before deciding to go for LIS.....it took my a good year. I tried all remedies under the sun. Reoccurances are so depressing. My suffering was not as bad as it is for some people on here, but I was just tired and wanted a permanent solution. LIS was the best decision I ever made with regards to the fissure.
Happyending.
Happyending
Salt Bather