Rectiv prescription

Too expensive

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Rectiv prescription

Postby tightybehind » 17 Dec 2016, 14:55

Doctor would only prescribe Rective which was more than $250 with my insurance and something like $150 with some sort of coupon I found online. The doctor refused to change the prescription to the generic 2% nitroglycerin or prescribe nipefidine.

Has anyone else dealt with this?
tightybehind
Fibre Addict

Topics: 7

Re: Rectiv prescription

Postby Mypoorbutt » 17 Dec 2016, 15:19

That's disgusting why on earth can't you have the generic how are you meant to pay that much....I use 2 tubes a month...I have the generic.
Are you meant to suffer just because he refuses, can you see a different doctor. I did find it online for £48 but I don't know if they would sell it online in the US
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby tightybehind » 17 Dec 2016, 15:53

I even had the pharmasict (who told me about the generic) talk to the doctor. And she still refused.

I could try another doc but this is the second place I visited. I went to our local medstar clinic (walk in / urgent care) and they nicely explained to me they couldn't prescribe anything but a steroid and hydrocortisone, so this doctor was my second try. The steroid did numb a little this morning, but it's been a month and I'm in excrutiating pain every day.

I have an appt with a CRS nurse on January 6th (actual CRS was not available until Feb), but each day is more and more difficult. I'm feeling so defeated.
tightybehind
Fibre Addict

Postby Mypoorbutt » 17 Dec 2016, 16:03

That's awful...we moan about the NHS (me included) but at least I know I would never have to be in pain because I couldn't afford a prescription. It's ridiculous to have something that could help and not being able to have it is beyond belief.
Could you have a look online see if you can find it for cheaper the site I found was a European one but surely there is one in the US.
Mypoorbutt

Postby Mypoorbutt » 17 Dec 2016, 16:06

Are you in the US or in Australia, because they sell it online in Australia for 31 you just need to call their pharmacist to ensure you are getting the correct product the website is Chemistwarehouse.com.au
Hope this helps as it's just so wrong to be left in pain
Mypoorbutt

Postby tightybehind » 17 Dec 2016, 16:19

Thank you so much. I am in the U.S. but will check to see if I can get some shipped internationally. I imagine that will still be cheaper than the $150+ they were quoting me.
tightybehind
Fibre Addict

Postby Mypoorbutt » 17 Dec 2016, 16:24

The US sell it online at united pharmacies.com for 48....there was a point when my GP wouldn't give it me until my consultant phoned up and apparently shouted at her so I googled where to get it from online as I cannot cope without it.
I don't know if that site needs a prescription, a phone call or will just sell it as I found a site in Europe which was cheaper for me.
Good luck
Mypoorbutt

Postby tightybehind » 20 Dec 2016, 20:04

UPDATE: I was able to make an appointment with the same CRS nurse practitioner that I already had an appointment scheduled with on Monday and she wrote me a Rx for nifedipine, which is what I really wanted anyway (I'm prone to migraines so I was afraid of the nitro). The Rx wasn't covered by insurance so $60 out of pocket, but totally with it. Picked it up this afternoon and applied 3x today. Hoping it works like it should.

Thank you everyone for your input. Will keep you updated.
tightybehind
Fibre Addict

Postby Mypoorbutt » 21 Dec 2016, 08:06

So glad you got something to help
Mypoorbutt

Postby pony » 13 Apr 2018, 14:07

I know this is an old post but I wanted to see if there is any new information on generic alternatives to Rectiv.

After about 6 weeks suffering with my first AF, I saw a doctor who prescribed Lidocaine, Rectiv, and Polyethylene Glycol. The Rective was $670 a tube without insurance, and $600 with my private insurance! I was floored by this cost so talked to my doctor and the pharmacist, neither of whom could provide an alternative. I can afford it for now and I was in serious pain so after a day or two of deliberation I got the Rective.

After 3 days of using it, I think it's helping. But if I still need it once the tube runs out, I'll need an alternative. I've never ordered from an online pharmacy, but will follow up on suggestions here.

I've seen stories about people in the US suffering from conditions which can be helped with outrageously expensive medications. I never thought it would be me, and that the medication would be a tube of cream for my anus. C'est la vie.
pony