Please help!

Anal Fissure, LIS, Hemorrhoidectomy

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Please help!

Postby mdilip » 16 May 2016, 08:47

Hi everyone,

I am a 34 year old from NYC. In march this year, i had an emergency hemorrhoidectomy and LIS surgery in India. In the 2 months following surgery i developed IBS-D due to the antibiotics and laxatives and was struggling with incomplete evacuation even though I was having 4-5 bowel movements a day.

When i returned to NYC in April and met my CRS from Columbia hospital, he diagnosed me with anal stenosis. I had also developed a fissure by now because of all the straining to pass stools due to my feeling of incomplete evacuation. He recommended anal dilation for the stenosis but also warned me that it would take a few tries before things got back to normal. A week ago, I underwent dilation for the stenosis. He also injected a kenalog injection for the scar tissue/Fissure from what i understand. Ever since my surgery, I am passing bigger stools and have lost the feeling of incomplete evacuation which is such a relief. I also only have a 2-3 bowel movements a day. However the bad news is, I am bleeding with every bowel movement that I have.

I currently take 2 colace tablets -100mg a day, a spoon of lactulose and a spoon of miralax on a daily basis. I also take 2 spoons of olive oil to help keep my bowel movements smooth and soft. Yet, inspite of all this, I still have streaks of blood on my stools each time. I am really worried that in spite of 3 procedures, LIS, dilation and a kenalog injection- i have fissures that bleed. I do not have pain after my bowel movements. The pain is minimal- maybe a 2 on a 10. However, the blood worries me since it indicates that the wound is not healing and I am not sure what my options are anymore at all.

Does anyone have any advise. Please help.
mdilip

Topics: 2

Re: Please help!

Postby Canadabum » 17 May 2016, 16:17

mdilip -- sorry to hear that you are struggling right now...hopefully some feedback will help.

The first think i would do is go back to your CRS and get a consult and find out what they say -- a first hand (or first finger!) look is always the best at diagnosing what is really going on.

The good news is you are not experiencing the horrible pain -- but you have the blood which is a sign of some sort of cut or trauma to the area. Are you using any fissure cream (nifedipine, diltiazem etc), are you taking sitz baths after each bowel movement and are you earing/drinking well -- if you said no to any of the aforementioned i would recommend you get on each one of those things...in addition to seeing your crs.

Best - CB
Canadabum

Topics: 19

Postby mdilip » 23 May 2016, 12:50

Thank you, Canadabum. My bleeding has decreased in the past two weeks. I have tried to keep my stools soft and hopefully that has done the trick. I still am having difficulty passing stools though. Is there anyone who has had anal stenosis who can help me. I would love some feedback. After my dilation, I am able to pass larger stools. However, I still need to go 1-3 times a day and sometimes when I have really small but soft stools I struggle greatly to pass them. I am not sure if this is due to the stenosis or something else, since I am able to pass larger stools with less strain. Anyone have any feedback?
mdilip

Topics: 2

Postby Sweetbabyrae » 26 Dec 2016, 21:15

Any update? I also had stenosis, and underwent surgery for it. About to get the kenalog and curious where you are in your healing process. Hoping all is well!
Sweetbabyrae

Postby aliyah36 » 11 Jan 2017, 17:05

@MDilip: have you tried a toilet stool?I have a "squatty potty" but any will do. Mine has really helped with incomplete evacuation.
aliyah36

Postby mandyamiguel » 20 Nov 2018, 21:32

Was Kenalog surgery successful? I am also considering this through Dr. Feingold.
mandyamiguel