Hydrocortisone & Skin Thinning

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Hydrocortisone & Skin Thinning

Postby why » 29 Dec 2016, 22:49

Do hydrocortisone suppositories cause skin thinning? How long does it last? I've been prescribed these on and off over ten years but have never used them for more than 5-7 days at a time. Can that cause permanent damage? How long does it take the skin to bounce back after the last day you use them?
why

Topics: 1

Re: Hydrocortisone & Skin Thinning

Postby kikaida » 04 Jan 2017, 12:21

I have thinning of the skin in the anal area from a lot of surgeries from anal warts that I had back in the 90s. My CRS strongly advises me not to use hydrocortisone cream for anal fissures because it will cause more thinning. My CRS doctor also will not do the surgery on me for my fissure because he said that the surgery could make my situation worse because the surgery will cause more scarring as well as thinning of the skin in the anal area. And that could lead to more easy tearing. It's one of those things I will have to learn to live with and I am only 47. It gets depressing not being able to wipe with a dry toilet paper but like my CRS said things could be worse. I would advise you to stop using the hydrocortisone cream if not in the long run will only cause more problems. You don't want more thinning of the skin. Btw to answer your question once the hydrocortisone causes thinning of the skin it will never strengthen again. It is permanent. That is what my doctor told me.
kikaida
Fibre Addict

Topics: 10

Re: Hydrocortisone & Skin Thinning

Postby LemonMan » 04 Jan 2017, 16:01

Yes you should use them with caution. They are great to control short term itching for example, but not good for long term use.
Aug 14: Anal Abscess diagnosed
Dec 15: Anterior Anal Fissure diagnosed
Jan 16: Anoheal - Thought was healed end of Jan
Apr 16: Anoheal - Thought was healed end of May
Sep 16: Fissure back. Started Anoheal again
May 17: Botox and banding - fingers crossed
LemonMan
VIP

Topics: 4