Fissure... ...or something else?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Fissure... ...or something else?

Postby Girlneedshelp » 27 Jan 2017, 21:55

Hi there!

It's my first post after weeks of reading yours - and any advice/word of wisdom would be oh-so-very-welcome! I know my story's long, sorry about that, but i'd really love to hear your thoughts.

I had already had an encounter with an anal fissure 2-3 years ago: a few days of disconfort (not actual pain, just the feeling something was wrong there), a quick visit to the doc after a sudden bout of very sharp pain for a few hours, lidocain for a week or so and - voila, done with it!

BUT at the end of october (this year) while going to the bathroom, i felt kind of as if... stool was getting stuck on one side on its way out, so i strained, felt like a tear then saw some blood on the toilet paper... was going on a trip at the time, so i asked the doc for lidocain, had like a bad week (constant pain during day time, but always bearable) then it seemed as if it was gone...

...which brings me to this last episode: mid december i had a big stomach flu followed by harder stool and it seems i re-tore. For the second time (these were the only two) i saw a few drops of blood. But the pain since then....... omg. It started, for a few weeks, as a constant "pulling" feeling, from the time i was going to the bathroom in the morning to bedtime. It was exhausting, but I could live with it. But this last week it has turned into more of an acute burning/cuting/twitching pain, 8-9 out of 10 pain still from morning to late at night. And i havent yet found a way to control it. Like none. Ive tried lidocain, steroid cream, sitz baths, acetaminophen, ibuprofen, nitrol cream... Ive been to the doctor 3 times in the last month, ive been to the emergency room yesterday cause i couldnt even function anymore, and should get an appointment with a general surgeon in the next 10 days. But in the mean time half of the day or more i feel like im going to throw up or pass out from the pain. AND (whats worrying me even more) neither my doctor or the one at the ER has been able to actually see the fissure while doing rectal exam and confirm its really that. Are these fissure symptoms, can anyone relate? This last week ive also had the feeling that even passing gases hurts/is difficult, could this be because of the spasm, has anyone experienced that...? Pleaaase help me out, I just turned 32, Im terribly scared and hurting, and ive stopped doing anything cause all I can think of right now is "ouch-ouch-ouch-ouch-omg im never gonna live through this" :'(
Girlneedshelp

Topics: 1

Re: Fissure... ...or something else?

Postby roger52 » 28 Jan 2017, 20:42

put a table spoon of coconut oil in a hot bath before it melts move some of it directly to your rectum use the coconut oil as needed but take 3 baths a day especially right after bowel movement use a+d ointment with zinc oxide most of the other creams are a waist of time especially avoid creams with nitro in them it can lower your blood pressure to a point where your to weak to do anything I learned that the hard way lost three weeks . The general surgeon will probably refer you to a surgeon who specializes in rectum surgerys the spincter isn't something you want any surgeon to do so call one of the big hospitals iowa city etc and see who they recommend in your area also a fiber suppliment every morning and a big glass of water. the baths and suppliments should start the healing they wont do surgery unless absolutely necessary
roger52

Postby roger52 » 28 Jan 2017, 20:45

Also buy a donut to sit on in the car so your not irritating it when your on the road
roger52

Postby Savaici » 29 Jan 2017, 10:06

Girlneedshelp,

:wel: to the forum and sorry you're in such pain :smilyhug:

I suggest that you do not use donut cushions; they have a tendency to put pressure on the fissure and most CRS do not recommend them. An ordinary soft cushion is a better solution.

Also, if your doctor suggests GTN (nitro) start very slowly (even mix the dose with something to 'cut' the dosage such as Vaseline). It does give some people headaches (this is the largest side affect) but does help most people. The dosage is usually 0.2%. Some doctors get it wrong prescribing 2%...

Do see a colon and rectal surgeon (CRS) as it is them who can help you with this. You have the classic symptoms of an anal fissure. Sadly they can cause excruciating pain, worse than childbirth in my opinion.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Mypoorbutt » 29 Jan 2017, 11:01

Hi GNH,
Sorry to hear your suffering
I had constant spasm pain for about 10-24 hours after a BM nothing touched it I have never felt pain like it
As for GTN nitro if your doc has prescribed it please please use it...it saved my life literally I went from hours of agony to only normal pain it didn't heal me completely but it did stop the spasms and allow me to live...yes it gave me a headache for the first week or so but like savaici says start with a pea sized amount. I have been on it 18 months now and will be on it for longer it isn't dangerous. Also agree with savaici no donut cushion my CRS says they make fissures worse.
Lots of sitz baths use coconut oil and the GTN...just because your doctor can't see your fissure doesn't mean you don't have one 3 drs missed mine including a CRS, but my current CRS saw it and said it was one of the worse he has ever seen...I could have told him that as the pain was unbearable....don't give up if this is a fissure and it does sound like one then it will get better
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby Girlneedshelp » 29 Jan 2017, 19:28

Thank you all for answering!! Will stick to the nitro then - how long did it take before you saw an actual improvement in your pain after using it...?

Seems like the evening i came back from the ER and the day after were the very worst in terms of pain until now, i suspect the doc might have reopened the fissure doing the exam =(

As for the donut cushion well anyway for now it seems to hurt as much no matter if im sitting, standing, doing whatever =( ...since i work from home at least i can change posture... would u know if any in particular is supposed to promote healing...? Oh and... how are you even able to fall asleep at night when the pain is at its peak...? Im exhausted from being awake until 2-3 am the last few days =( ...again thank youuuuu its encouraging to see people have been able to get through this before me!!!
Girlneedshelp

Topics: 1