Seton suture update

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

Seton suture update

Postby Edgirl » 25 Jun 2016, 02:22

Hi guys,

So I've been through some drama... A week after having my seton put in I got constipated whilst I was visiting my parents in another city and I got really worried as I couldn't get a bm out and I was in agony. I went to a hospital near there and they were too worried to treat me so handed me an enema and some gloves and told me to go back to my parent's house, hold the stitches in place and give myself an enema. Well I ended up having a natural bm before I built up the courage to do that but the next day the seton was hanging down by an inch. I jumped in my car and drove home (3 hours) and phoned my doctor on the way who made sure the hospital were expecting me. I got there and as soon as I went to the loo my seton fell out completely.

I had surgery the next day to get a new one in. The whole experience has really affected me mentally. I started getting panic attacks when showering, some days I feel it's one step forward and two steps back.

Last week I got a middle and outer ear infection in both ears as my immune system is low so on steroid antibiotics for that.

I went back to work this week and it was much more difficult than I expected. I went on a two hour course on Thursday and the seats were really uncomfortable, I had a bm when I got home and there was more blood, now the discharge is heavier and has that pungent smell.

I just don't know what to do as the minute I feel I'm not too bad something happens and I feel worse. I'm constantly tired after work to the extent that I feel dizzy some days. Does anyone else feel this way? It's been three weeks since the second op.
Edgirl

Topics: 2

Re: Seton suture update

Postby Savaici » 28 Jun 2016, 20:27

Do hope you're feeling better now. :smilyhug:
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby StephP » 10 Aug 2016, 16:49

Hello, I have a fistula with a seton thread too. I'm definitely feeling sensitive mentally. I'm exhausted really. I've had stomach ulcers in the last 4 weeks, which I'm sure have been caused by the stress. Work in an office can be hard when you're dealing with the pain, but at times I've also found it to be a welcome distraction. I just keep my pain pills with me at all times, and make sure I never have a bowel movement during working hours. I muddle through, but it's a horrible thing to experience. I have to keep reminding myself that I could have it so much worse, like a terminal illness or something.
I wish you the best of luck.
StephP
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Dewlilly » 19 Sep 2016, 19:10

Hello ... I think mentally dealing with these issues is just as hard as the physical part ... Mentally is probably worse I think .. I had an abscess turned fistula when drained the had a fistulotomy and seton placed ... Well through all that I went off the rails and had such bad anxiety that I lost 12 Pds in 5 days couldn't sleep etc .. Doc put me on adavan to cope ... Don't beat ur self up too much these things are emotionally draining and it's not a topic people openly discuss or can relate too ... This site is amazing for support ... Ask away we all know how much a "pain in the ass" this all is ;)
Dewlilly
Salt Bather

Postby Edgirl » 17 Nov 2016, 03:52

So, I've been purposely avoiding everything and emotionally webt downhill after my clinic appointment (because I had previously been told it would be removed in clinic under local but they said at the appointment that they wanted to investigate further under general).

The great news is I had surgery on Monday, they removed my seton and laid me open. I was in so much relief that I overdid things the next day and went to the supermarket!

I didn't have a bm until yesterday morning and I was told it would bleed a bit after my first bm but I basically have a lot of wind at the moment and it keeps bleeding. I figured if it's still bleeding tomorrow then contact the GP. Thoughts?

Bleeding I can handle. I'm just so over the moon that I won't need any further consultant appointments etc. It's my light at the end of the tunnel.

I think I worked myself into so much anxiety before the surgery because there was a chance that it wasn't ready and I would just get a tighter seton. I didn't want to get my hopes up so convinced myself that it was going to be seton removal.

Anyway, when I'm healed I will hopefully do a success story.

Xxx
Edgirl

Topics: 2

Postby Dewlilly » 17 Nov 2016, 19:24

Great news .. hope things continue on this path for you .. keep us updated
Dewlilly
Salt Bather

Postby Sorebutt26 » 12 Feb 2017, 18:37

Edgirl wrote:So, I've been purposely avoiding everything and emotionally webt downhill after my clinic appointment (because I had previously been told it would be removed in clinic under local but they said at the appointment that they wanted to investigate further under general).

The great news is I had surgery on Monday, they removed my seton and laid me open. I was in so much relief that I overdid things the next day and went to the supermarket!

I didn't have a bm until yesterday morning and I was told it would bleed a bit after my first bm but I basically have a lot of wind at the moment and it keeps bleeding. I figured if it's still bleeding tomorrow then contact the GP. Thoughts?

Bleeding I can handle. I'm just so over the moon that I won't need any further consultant appointments etc. It's my light at the end of the tunnel.

I think I worked myself into so much anxiety before the surgery because there was a chance that it wasn't ready and I would just get a tighter seton. I didn't want to get my hopes up so convinced myself that it was going to be seton removal.

Anyway, when I'm healed I will hopefully do a success story.

Xxx

So Edgirl, how have things been? I hope you've healed well xx
Sorebutt26
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?