Fistula Surgery with Seton - Pain

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

Fistula Surgery with Seton - Pain

Postby Bjc_uk » 16 Feb 2017, 12:31

Hi

New to this message board but taking a lot of comfort from hearing the stories of others out there. Thank you.

I had surgery one week ago to insert a Seton in to fistula. For the first few days I felt no pain and the wound seemed to be doing what it was meant to and draining.

The last few days however have been a different matter. The stitch area is so painful to touch now that it makes me feel sick to do so. The rest of the time it just has a dull pain that doesn't go away but isn't too bad with pain killers.

I'm worried it might be infected although I've been trying to keep clean with regular sitz baths.

Does anyone know the symptoms of infection and when I should try get in to see a doctor. Is it normal to experience this ongoing pain with a Seton in because the wound is still there as it were.

Thanks
Bjc_uk

Topics: 1

Re: Fistula Surgery with Seton - Pain

Postby Sorebutt26 » 17 Feb 2017, 04:08

Hi Bjc_uk

Sorry to hear you're in pain. Do you have a wound that's being packed by nurses?
Is the area surrounding the opening red, hot and inflamed? Has the discharged changed?

I'm 5 weeks post ops and I've had my ups and downs. Hopefully I'm on the up now! XxX
Sorebutt26
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: Fistula Surgery with Seton - Pain

Postby Scint » 25 Jul 2018, 17:20

I have transphincetric fistula and 3 weeks before had Seton placed by general surgeon. Had a doctor visit a week before and gave the following options,
1- simply remove Seton in doctor office after 6 weeks.
2- placing plug
3- consulting with crs.

I would like to know simply removing Seton will cure or I have to go for next operation ?

Please share your experience on what has been done after Seton placement. Thanks for all your support.
Scint

Topics: 1