LIS five weeks ago..Still in pain..Please Help

LIS five weeks ago..Still in pain..Please Help

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: LIS five weeks ago..Still in pain..Please Help

Postby Ral1020 » 28 Dec 2016, 19:56

Thanks MPB... I have a appt tomorrow afternoon with my CRS. I'm not too hopeful, as he seems perplexed as to why I'm not healing. He will do another exam. Thing is, he was never able to see my fissure (visually or with scope) until I was under anesthesia... Could my fissure be atypical ? When it actually occurred, 4 years ago (sorry to be graphic) I was terribly constipated. And it felt like the large hard stool (was straining also) "cut" me as it passed through. There was immediate pain and blood in the toilet (fissure is in posterior toward spine).. The surgery incision healed fine...I just don't feel like I can take much more of this
Ral1020
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Mypoorbutt » 29 Dec 2016, 04:37

It's good you have an appointment make sure you ask about other options as they can't leave you in this amount of pain, I had 2 CRS that never saw my fissure. But my current one was great. Mine is also posterior and had only healed 30% at 5 weeks....but mine is now starting to be less painful.
Gosh that sounds awful, mine was from years of IBS and crohns not one singular event. Have you managed to avoid any constipation as I know that for me good BMs have made the biggest difference in the pain levels.
I hope the docs give you some good news and some options to try if not.
Let us know how you get on
good luck
MBP
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby Ral1020 » 29 Dec 2016, 12:36

When this happened (4 years ago) I had been prescribed a routine med for acid reflux. The med caused the bad constipation. I had never had any serious problems with constipation before then...These days, I take some miralax and mineral oil at night. So stools are always soft. Hard stools are not the problem. I have some pain during BM, but not too bad. My worse pain is later in the day and into the evening
Ral1020
Fibre Addict

Postby Ral1020 » 10 Jan 2017, 12:37

10 weeks since LIS. The last several days have been horrible. Pain is about as bad as I can remember. Pain with BM is also worse. 3 days ago I started GTN. Tried Diltazam before I had LIS. After about 3 weeks the Dilt started stinging so stoped it. My CRS seems to have given up. He wants me to see another CRS he sometimes consults with. He's about a hour away... Has GTN been effective for you guys ? ..I am just broken and defeated
Ral1020
Fibre Addict

Postby paine » 03 Feb 2017, 03:52

Hi ral. I hope you are feeling better now.
paine
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby Ral1020 » 06 Feb 2017, 18:36

Hi Paine.. I just noticed your post. Thank u
Maybe a very slight improvement. A little better in the mornings. Stinging/burning starts to get worse around mid afternoon. I'm laying on the couch right now and am quite uncompfortable. I believe the GTN has helped, but progress
seems to have stalled. I admit that I'm having a real hard time mentally. I've been dealing with this since June (Had LIS on Nov 7) have lost 20 lbs (was thin to start with) Can't sit. Am self employed & have lost about 30% of my business because I can't work a full day. Can't play piano (music has always been my passion and therapy) cause I can't sit... sorry to be negative, this thing is just taking a tole on me
Ral1020
Fibre Addict

Postby paine » 06 Feb 2017, 20:53

Hi ral so sorry to hear you are in pain.
I hope that things ease up for you soon.
paine
Salt Bather

Postby Ryleighsmama » 17 Feb 2017, 17:22

Hi Ral,
As. I read your posts I just cringe. I am so very concerned, this is terrible. I am on week 3 after LIS. I still have some sting, but I think it is from incision not fissure. I can tell there are still stitches I wonder when they will go away. I was given no information about the actual surgery or findings. I wanted to know about this damn thing that had caused me such horrific pain for over a year. On my first post-op I questioned my CRS as to how it went and she said "you had a fissure." Uh, no shit!!
Ryleighsmama
Fibre Addict

Postby paine » 18 Feb 2017, 06:02

Hi ryleighsmama.
Im also 3 wks 2 days post op. Still have issue after bm and feeling spams from time to time. I still take ibuprofen before bm so that i could function or else ill be in great pain. There has been improvement day by day but seems too little. My crs is unbelievable. She said i should not be in pain in two weeks and cant accept my slow healing. I will see her next week for 4 wks follow up. Hope im fully healed and normal by then. I wish all of us happy butts!
paine
Salt Bather

Postby Ral1020 » 18 Feb 2017, 13:06

Hi ryliehsmama & paine,
Please don't be discouraged by my very slow (lack of) progress. Everyone is different. Most fissures heal within 2 to 8 weeks after LIS. My CRS was a little more realistic. He initially told me 3 to 6 weeks. I firmly beleive my fissure was/is somewhat atypical in that I was literally "cut" by the hard, dry stool as opposed to stretching/splitting of the skin/mucosa. I also never experienced spasms. So, be patient. Keep doing what you can to keep your stools soft. Do the sitz baths etc. etc... if after 8 weeks you feel you aren't progressing, I would suggest starting one of the creams. i.e.: diltazam, nifedipine or GTN.. at this point, I would say that GTN is helping me. After using it 6 weeks, I'm about 30% better than I was a few months ago
Ral1020
Fibre Addict