Going on 3 months post surgery and have questions

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Going on 3 months post surgery and have questions

Postby Deleted User 1775 » 30 Dec 2012, 14:50

I am LIS surgery patient who had surgery the first week of oct. 2012 which went well painful but well. I still have a burning or irritation soreness. And still have this light yellowish drainage, in which I wear gauze between my cheeks. I don't feel sick so i don't thinking is a infection.
Also if I sit long periods of time it get sore. I also get random blood still. My CRS said the fissure is healed and he said he would have to go under again to see what is going on. Has anyone have issues 3 months after surgery? I do feel better after having surgery but my butt still does not feel normal. Will it ever feel normal? I still fear going to the bathroom and eating food. I watch my diet drink water take a stool softer and magnesium. Should I go under again? Or give it more time to heal. My CRS is very short and doesn't allow me to ask a lot of questions. Any help good or bad would be appreciated.
Deleted User 1775

Re: Going on 3 months post surgery and have questions

Postby Lauren12 » 30 Dec 2012, 17:17

Hi jdchurch
It took me 8 to 9 months after the LIS operation for my anus to settle down to normal and to stop getting pain, so some of us do have a longer recovery period. I didn't get the yellowish drainage you describe. However with a looser muscle tone in the anus, and as I clean after bowel movements by training the power shower on it, I do often get (not to be too indelicate) yellowish/light brown 'skid marks' on underwear, I think when I pass wind. However I don't have to wear gauze and it doesn't cause me any trouble.
I also still had pain 3 months after surgery despite the fact my fissure was healed (and the incision site was also healed so far as I recall). It just took things a while to settle down to normal. I was forming minor fissures for a while because the muscle tone was still on the high side, but this stopped happening, as the surgeon said it would, as things got back to normal. Also, because I'd been in pain so consistently and for so long prior to the op, I'd developed something of a pain cycle between brain and anus so that this minor damage with bowel movements, which for someone with a normal anus wouldn't be experienced as troublesome, was experienced as painful by me. It took a while for this oversensitivity to reduce to normal, but it did go back to normal.
I couldn't really advise you about whether to go under again. The drainage is the thing that possibly needs investigating if it carries on. It's a shame your surgeon is so uncommunicative. I suppose I can only say that he's the expert or if you're unhappy with him, to seek a second opinion. I hope more people come along to share their experiences with you.
All the best.
Lauren12
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Deleted User 1775 » 31 Dec 2012, 18:51

Lauren12, thank you so much for your response. It makes since what your doctor told you. I have been dealing with a fissure for 3 years before I had the Lis surgery. So I am well aware of my butt. Do you feel 100% back to normal now? Did you just have Lis? Do you still get bleeding? It will be 3 months for me this January and thought I would be healed. I believe my incision site is not healed and that's why he would put me under again to see what's up. Did you or anyone else on this forum take a long time for the incision to heal. I worry about it everyday that its not healing. Not to be gross but I get this moist feeling and this small amount of drainage/leakage??? That I believe irritates my skin down there. Are you doing anything special with diet or other healing remedies you would like to share? I had two fissures in which he said he cleaned up and then did the Lis surgery. It has been a very long journey and was praying that after the surgery I would be healed and finally be able to live life without worrying about going to the bathroom. Please share any other info you may have I would be so grateful. Thank you for responding and best to the new year.
Deleted User 1775

Postby Deleted User 1775 » 31 Dec 2012, 18:52

Lauren12 please feel free to private message me too.
Deleted User 1775

Postby barbedbutt » 02 Jan 2013, 13:53

Hi it sounds like you are going through similar to what i did. I had lis in september. Then got regular drainage that required a cotton pad for 2 months after. Ill tell you now if it requires a pad to stop you feeling damp then you need to get it checked out. i had a low fistula which had to be cut out and drained. Required another 2 weeks off work unfortuantly but the swelling and drainage stopped immediately. Since then it comes back slightly now and then so you have to keep it clean but as of yet I have not needed another cotton pad thank god! go get it checked out. I am now 5 months post op and feel alot closer to fully healed.
barbedbutt
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Postby Hae1210 » 30 Mar 2014, 19:55

Iam also 3 months post op and feeling so discouraged. I feel like my surgeon did a botched job. I have a huge piece if skin in there and now it seems like it's extending and I have another small piece of skin at the end of it and it burns. I'm not even sure I know which is my fissure or where it's located anymore :-( I don't even gave a cool rectal surgeon I've been seeing my GI since the general surgeon told me I was healing fine. 2 months ago. I don't know what to do. I'm crying all the time it feels like noone understands.
Hae1210
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Savaici » 31 Mar 2014, 12:49

:smilyhug: We understand as most of us are going through/have gone through the same place where you are now.

If you don't think your surgeon is doing enough for you, make an appointment with another, and a CRS is best. You must be an advocate for your own health.

The skin, by the way, forms after surgery. Skin tags they are called, or sentinel piles. I have them too. Irritating but not dangerous.

Sorry you are in pain
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby dent1 » 03 Apr 2014, 13:00

Hae1210 wrote:Iam also 3 months post op and feeling so discouraged. I feel like my surgeon did a botched job. I have a huge piece if skin in there and now it seems like it's extending and I have another small piece of skin at the end of it and it burns. I'm not even sure I know which is my fissure or where it's located anymore :-( I don't even gave a cool rectal surgeon I've been seeing my GI since the general surgeon told me I was healing fine. 2 months ago. I don't know what to do. I'm crying all the time it feels like noone understands.

I think you need to back to your surgeon or see someone else. I had post op problems after v y flap surgery for fissure with botox. I was disappointed sentinel piles were left but I think there is only so much surgery can be done at once on such a small area which still has to function while healing. I had further surgery scheduled and CRS removed the sentinal piles. Much better since then but has taken months to heal fully.
dent1
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby Jimbfree47 » 27 Feb 2017, 19:02

I had my LIS 4 months ago and still have discomfort but not as bad as before. CRS said fissure healed . I may of retorn not sure. Went 3 times tiday all soft and minor discomfort for about an hour or 2 then went away. I still get discomfort when sitting to long even without a BM. I am not sweating this as to many have said this is normal as it takes time. All I know is its better but not gone 4 months after. No blood no discharge seen. Fortunately I have plenty of nifedipine and havent really had to use it lately. Bottom line is I have moments during the day but manageable. I just keep drinking water watch diet take benefiber.
Jimbfree47
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 2