What's in a name

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

What's in a name

Postby dmcff » 07 Mar 2017, 07:57

I like posts where the whole combination of symptoms - fissure, hemorrhoids, abscess, etc. - is just called "piles". It somehow makes a condition that's in an awkward place and hard to discuss a bit more approachable and friendly, if that's the right word.

And yes, from my own experience I'd say that it's a condition that takes a long time to cure - I'm already in my third year of something that's been diagnosed as "fissure". It keeps on healing up and then tearing again. I've concluded that it's just something I have to live with, with pain that varies from one week to the next, but never goes away entirely.

The various medications - Miralax, lactulose, GTN ointment, etc. - help, but don't bring about a final healing. I haven't yet opted for Botox and/or LIS - guess I'm saving that for when there's really no alternative - and in the meantime just trying to get on with my life as best I can, though it's not always easy.
2014 Anal fissure
2015 CAT, EUA, sigmoidoscopy, 2 MRI
2016 Pain severe then moderate to low
2017 Moderate pain
2018 Physical therapy, pain management
2019-20 Living with it
2021 Still AF
2022 Therapy, meditation
2023 Onward, up
2024 CT scan
dmcff

Topics: 52

Re: What's in a name

Postby suzyljank » 07 Mar 2017, 10:24

One reason you could be tearing is that you have too much scar tissue after the fissure heals up. Scar tissue doesn't stretch. If that's the case you will need an advancement flap. They would remove the scar tissue and replace it with new tissue that's more flexible.
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Re: What's in a name

Postby dmcff » 07 Mar 2017, 10:40

suzyljank wrote:One reason you could be tearing is that you have too much scar tissue after the fissure heals up. Scar tissue doesn't stretch. If that's the case you will need an advancement flap. They would remove the scar tissue and replace it with new tissue that's more flexible.

This is certainly a thought worth bearing in mind, though it hasn't been suggested by any of the CRS's I have seen. Makes me want to ask about it at my next appointment, though I don't have one scheduled presently.

I got somewhat annoyed with the last CRS I saw, in November - although we had agreed that he would inspect me visually only, right at the end of the examination he told me he believed the fissure has almost healed. But then he used his finger, quite roughly, and asked if it hurt me, which it did, and I've had increased pain ever since. This experience, with its loss of trust, has put me off going back to see him in the near future, even though the likelihood of my seeing the same consultant is probably rather low - I seem to see a new CRS (they are members of a team) every time I visit the hospital.
2014 Anal fissure
2015 CAT, EUA, sigmoidoscopy, 2 MRI
2016 Pain severe then moderate to low
2017 Moderate pain
2018 Physical therapy, pain management
2019-20 Living with it
2021 Still AF
2022 Therapy, meditation
2023 Onward, up
2024 CT scan
dmcff

Topics: 52