Needing advice If I need to get LIS

Should I or should I not?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Needing advice If I need to get LIS

Postby Happykermit » 07 Mar 2017, 23:32

Hi everyone.

9 months ago, I had a really painful time with my fissure, it bled and I went through so much pain. I had it checked by a CRS and was told not to worry. He said I am still young and my fissure would heal naturally. He advised me to have a high fiber diet.

A couple of months later, it healed. Then in late November last year, I started experiencing mild to severe pain during and after BMs. I guess it got torn again, but this time, there's no more blood. For three months since then, I would feel a burning sensation after passing stools. This would last for 1-6 hours. Most of the time, I find it hard to sit down, because it feels very tender down there.

I had the CRS check it again, and he asked how long it has been going on. I told him I had been there 9 months ago, and he proceeded to do a finger check in my bum. I winced in pain, and he said it has become chronic, and nonchalantly asked if I wanted to do LIS. :groan:

Now this would put me out of commission for a month or so. I don't know if I should really go through with it, given that I can still make do with the pain, would I just make it worse? I'm also afraid of the pain that comes with the operation. I have been reading about the success of LIS surgeries here and that gives me much hope, but still, I would want to have the surgery as a last option.

I'm currently using coconut oil after each BM, and making stools soft by eating veggies. I haven't tried manual dilation, and I don't do regular sitz baths, except to wash my anal area with warm water twice a day.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. :oops:
Happykermit
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Re: Needing advice If I need to get LIS

Postby Mypoorbutt » 08 Mar 2017, 03:07

Hi Kermit,
It's all down to the individual and how much pain your in and the impact it's having. If you read some of the recent LIS diaries many have been back to normal after less these 2 weeks, you don't appear to have any underlying issues so should have a smooth recovery.
But again it's your choice....I wish I had been offered LIS after 9 months. There is always Botox and many members have got their fissure to heal without an op.
Good luck with whatever you choose to do as fissure pain can be horrendous
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Re: Needing advice If I need to get LIS

Postby Happykermit » 08 Mar 2017, 08:55

Thank you, Mypoorbutt.

Thanks to this site, I was able to get advice from members in my own country. I was referred to a good CRS too, and my expectations about the LIS and post-LIS have been set. Now, my worries would be to raise the needed amount for surgery, as well as finding the right time to do it (I'm still in school - the semester won't end until 2 months later, and I'm living away from home).

Today was a good day, no stinging/burning sensation after a BM, I wish it'll be like this til I get enough funds, and the school ends. I need to get my life back. :(
Happykermit
Salt Bather

Topics: 6