Glyceryl trinitrate

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Glyceryl trinitrate

Postby mrAnonymous » 19 Mar 2017, 14:49

For those of you who've used glyceryl trinitrate (a pea-sized amount, applied with a glove, once every 12 hours) - if there are no serious side-effects, should the anus feel more relaxed than usual? Or, even if it's doing its job, should it just feel normal when sitting? And what about during a BM?
mrAnonymous
Fibre Addict

Topics: 9

Re: Glyceryl trinitrate

Postby Mypoorbutt » 19 Mar 2017, 16:26

You should slowly increase to a 2cm amount over time. I noticed a difference straight away as it really did relax my spasms. I'm not sure if it made sitting any easier though....I still use it now but only after a flare and to try and stop spasms....hopefully someone else may give you more advice
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Re: Glyceryl trinitrate

Postby healthybutt » 21 Mar 2017, 16:14

Hi mrAnonymous,
I've used nitroglycerin ointment for 2 different fissures. I never actually noticed a difference with respect to relaxation of my anus while having a BM or just sitting, altho I religiously applied before and after a BM and I believe it really sped up my recovery. Should it be more relaxed down there? "Nitroglycerin ointment treats anal fissure pain by relaxing the blood vessels, which reduces the pressure in the anal tissues" (https://medlineplus.gov/druginfo/meds/a682346.html) -- so I'm guessing reducing the pressure = more relaxed? I know that the other topical prescribed creams like diltizam work by relaxing the sphincter muscles: "[Diltiazem] is thought to work by helping the ring muscle (sphincter) that goes around the anus (back passage) to relax and allow blood to flow to the lining of the anus (back passage). This aids the healing process and relieves the pain" (https://www.nice.org.uk/advice/esuom3/i ... rochloride)
healthybutt
Salt Bather

Topics: 5