Fistula Surgery... tomorrow! Help

Upcoming Fistula Surgery

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Fistula Surgery... tomorrow! Help

Postby JB620 » 23 Apr 2017, 07:11

Hi all,

I feel a little relieved to have found this forum and hopefully some comfort in your experiences. While I do not have IBD, etc., this is one of the only active forums I've been able to find and feel comfortable posting on.

I am a 29 yr old female with an extremely active lifestyle (I train twice a day, 5 days a week doing CrossFit and Olympic lifting). 5 weeks ago I had a perianal abscess drained. It was so random for me to even have one develop- "bad luck", the doc said. My CRS said 2 weeks before I could start to ease back in to working out. Well, here I am 5 weeks later with only 1 painless day to remember and zero activity besides regular walks.

After the abscess procedure 5 weeks ago, I have had consistent drainage, although never excessive and continually less and less. I have been diligent with sitz baths and proper hygiene. Three days ago, however, the wound site healed over rather quickly and I ended up developing a minor abscess overnight. It spontebeously ruptured the following day. I had my follow-up appointment today and the CRS said this is a sign of a fistula and I am scheduled for surgery tomorrow.

I am not sure what the surgery will entail as far as the extent of the fistula, whether or not they'll place a seton, etc. My entire life I've been a very private person - regarding my body. I am blessed to have auch a dear and understanding husband to help care for me, but at this point I just feel *extremely* anxious and scared, completely exposed, embarrassed, and am totally dreading Monday. I keep having moments of "Ok, let's just do this", followed by total freak-out moments.

The doctor said to expect about 2-4 weeks to heal after surgery. Of course in my mind I want to know when I can start training again- realistically. Seems like there's no rhyme or reason to healing, different for everyone. I just want to feel like I'll be normal again and able to do the things I love without having to wait months and months.

I guess I'm just looking for words of support, wisdom, etc. Thanks for taking the time to read. I just need to know I'm not the only one who feels this way.
JB620
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: Fistula Surgery... tomorrow! Help

Postby JB620 » 23 Apr 2017, 07:33

Also, I've been seeing that some people have nurses that are "packing" the wound for them... is this normal to have someone come to your house? Should I expect the hospital to offer this? Makes me feel super uncomfortable as I don't want more people touching me.
JB620
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Postby zinnia » 23 Apr 2017, 13:38

I just had fistula surgery two weeks ago and one many years ago. It is not a really hard surgery. It is just a nuisance all the extra time it takes to deal with bowel movements, keep it clean etc. As you know! No difference from Abscess. I am now worried about every little post op lump- is it scar tissue or an abscess or what. I did a lot yesterday and am quite sore today. But there have been days in last two weeks that I have felt fine!
You will do well- just annoying to have to go thru it!
zinnia
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby zinnia » 23 Apr 2017, 13:41

and no packing- just keep some gauze over for drainage.
zinnia
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here