Upcoming Fistula Surgery

Looking for wisdom and words of comfort

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

Upcoming Fistula Surgery

Postby JB620 » 21 Apr 2017, 22:56

Hi all,

I feel a little relieved to have found this forum and hopefully some comfort in your experiences and stories.

I am an under 30 female with an extremely active lifestyle (I train twice a day, 5 days a week doing CrossFit and Olympic lifting). 5 weeks ago I had a perianal abscess drained. It was so random for me to even have one develop- "bad luck", the doc said. My CRS said 2 weeks before I could start to ease back in to working out. Well, here I am 5 weeks later with only 1 painless day to remember and zero activity besides regular walks.

After the abscess procedure 5 weeks ago, I have had consistent drainage, although never excessive and continually less and less. I have been diligent with sitz baths and proper hygiene. Three days ago, however, the wound site healed over rather quickly and I ended up developing a minor abscess overnight. It spontebeously ruptured the following day. I had my follow-up appointment today and the CRS said this is a sign of a fistula and I am scheduled for surgery in 3 days (Monday).

I am not sure what the surgery will entail as far as the extent of the fistula, whether or not they'll place a seton, etc. My entire life I've been a very private person - regarding my body. I am blessed to have auch a dear and understanding husband to help care for me, but at this point I just feel *extremely* anxious and scared, completely exposed, embarrassed, and am totally dreading Monday.

The doctor said to expect about 2-4 weeks to heal after surgery. Of course in my mind I want to know when I can start training again- realistically.

I guess I'm just looking for words of support, wisdom, etc. Thanks for taking the time to read. I just need to know I'm not the only one who feels this way.
JB620
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: Upcoming Fistula Surgery

Postby bonzie » 25 Apr 2017, 18:41

Just read your blog and wanted to respond with my story. Developed anal abscess in Oct. 2016. Drained in emergency room and hospitalized for 3 days. Home care nurse for 2 mos. everyday to pack/unpack abscess. Became a fistula in Dec. Have had a EUA to determine position of fistula & sphincter muscle involvement. Decided on a simple fistulotomy/cutting seton. Had this surgery 2 weeks ago. Still draining. Haven't had to have the cutting seton tightened. Research the various surgeries for fistulas - there are many. I am a 72 year old woman and did not want my sphincter muscle cut so chose the cutting seton option. Be informed before your surgery.
bonzie