op tomorrow

LIS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

op tomorrow

Postby mojo » 16 May 2017, 05:51

Morning all.
Was last on here in Jan whilst battling spasm hell. Was put on waiting list then and it's tomorrow! Chronic AF for 3 yrs. Rectogesic doesn't work anymore.

Have purged myself in a bid to empty bowels for op and started fasting yesterday. Do not wanna BM tomorrow morning as cannot face spasms in hosp while waiting for op.

Anyone else shittified/elated at imminent op? Any advice on eating post op? Don't wanna poo a few days basically. Am I doing the right thing? Feel like a bit of a failure having to go under the knife!
mojo
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Re: op tomorrow

Postby mojo » 16 May 2017, 07:03

And when can I start jogging again? Jogging has been my favoured choice of spasm relief. When I run it doesn't hurt! Can't run all the bloody time tho. I'm a full time mum of a rampant toddler. Partner took tomorrow and til end of week off to help out with her and elder son. Is that enough? Do I need someone at hosp with me tomorrow - at least for op itself? Child care an issue for us.
mojo
Salt Bather

Postby VictorianKnight55 » 16 May 2017, 08:07

Good luck in your op tomorrow.

Had mine two days ago after 1.5 years of hell. I would say it is best to have someone with you. In my case, there was pain in the incision site and walking was difficult without the help of someone else.

You can refer to my diary on here if you're interested.

Good luck and hope you get your life back :)
VictorianKnight55
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby Mr Fissure » 16 May 2017, 08:13

Hey mojo!

I was pleasantly surprised at how little a deal the operation itself was. I was out a few hours afterwards, though I would think you will need someone to take you home - wouldn't advise driving or even going home alone, just in case.

As for the first BM - wouldn't worry about that too much either, I had my first one a couple of days after and barely felt a thing (removing the dressings from my hairy behind was much more painful lol!). You should just eat a normal balance diet imo after, keep portions small initially, plenty f fibre, keep well hydrated and take some stool softners and you should be fine.

Good luck!
Mr F
Mr Fissure
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Mypoorbutt » 16 May 2017, 08:27

I agree with the others best to have someone there first couple of days. I did have to go round Asda the morning after the op as we had run out of food...leave teenagers alone for 6 hours... if your in the U.K. You won't need to have someone with you but you will need someone to go home with you.
I too starved myself and actually I would advise against it. My first BM was quite painful went on day 5/6 after op and think things had tightened up down there as it hadn't been used.
I think running depends on the individual but hopefully your spasms will have stopped so you won't need it for that.
I know IT went back to the gym on week 4 and I went back to the gym n swimming on week 5 but listen to your body
Super good luck :D
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby mojo » 16 May 2017, 08:45

Have already read your diary Victoria! Thanx Mr.F you're extremely reassuring. Mypoorbutt I'm in Italy actually and maybe you remember when you hand held me through the darkest, most physically painful time of my life back in Jan. I used to post while in the bath with shower head of hot water gushing up my bum!

Will arrange someone to be there then and will report back tomorrow. After 3 yrs of this and the last 5 months being one long spasm, stinging, burning nightmare I can't wait for the ordeal to be over. As long as I carry on dietary/ lifestyle changes I've made. Are these fissures telling us something? I was having severe auto immune joint problems til latest AF flare up when I cut out gluten, improved my diet again and I've apparently reversed the onset of rheumatoid arthritis but still got the AF. Til tomorrow. (She says semi convincingly).

Thanks again! Partners/friends don't really get the hell of this and I've been accused of it being my fault for not relaxing more. How can u relax when it feels like shards of glass are being stuck up your backside?
mojo
Salt Bather

Postby Mypoorbutt » 16 May 2017, 08:58

Hi Mojo yes I thought it was you. So pleased it's all happening for you. You will feel SO much better once the LIS is done. You will get your life back.
I know my fissure taught me to listen to my body and to take my meds instead of pretending I could go through life eating and drinking like everyone else.
No you have to have experienced a fissure to understand the level of pain and the mental torture.
Fingers crossed for you Hun x
Mypoorbutt

Postby mojo » 16 May 2017, 09:26

Thanks ever so xx. Sure I shan't get alot of kip tonight but actually feel like turning in now so tomorrow can come quicker. Have waited and suffered long enough. To go from shuddering at the thought of the op to be raring to go 3 yrs down the line says it all. But I always thought I could beat it on my own. Cutting out flour based foods, glugging aloe Vera juice, whinnying like a horse while pooing, going bloody vegan(was already a vegetarian), etc etc. The list goes on. Shoulda thrown the towel in earlier and saved myself a load of bother.
mojo
Salt Bather

Postby Mypoorbutt » 16 May 2017, 11:05

I think we all do what's best for us. I would have had the op after the first week of spasms. But then I'm impatient lol.
I think it shows strength of character to try every option first. At least you can say you have everything a go.
I didn't sleep either the night before but that's coz I'm a wimp when it comes to being anaesthesia.
Tomorrow is the start of the rest of your life x
Mypoorbutt

Postby mojo » 18 May 2017, 02:31

Morning all.
So yesterday was a bit of a nightmare as I hadto wait 7 hours for the op. Was told to be at hosp for 7am and was finally seen to at 2. Had a poo while waiting due to anxiety and spasms kicked in at midday. Was given an epidural type anaesthetic and heavy sedation at my request which was lovely and the relief at having the pain cease was almost sublime. Snoozed a bit post op but not much and was up and walking around by 5. Soon as I had a wee they discharged me with a prescription for tramadol. It's an opiate painkiller as well as telling me to take paracetamol every 8 hrs regardless of pain.

At home burning started but not too bad. Had bean soup for dinner as was starving. Hadto get up in night to take painkiller.

Problems commenced this morning. BM supersoft and slipped out but the pain was intense there was bleeding. Is this normal? I then puked up. Maybe out of fear and shock? Then the pain really hit. A burning akin to my 9.5 pound daughter crowning. But this just went on and on. till I took tramadol. They'd advised 10 drops twice a day but on the leaflet it says 20-40 drops every 4-6hours so needless to say I glugged 40...Has helped a bit but the burning is still there. I also feel nauseous and as if I could puke again.

Tomorrow have post op medication at hosp which I'm worried about as the thought of anyone going near my arse let alone touching the wounds makes me feel sick. They did LIS, cauterised the fissure and removed the sentinel pile.
mojo
Salt Bather