Chlorine

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Chlorine

Postby dmcff » 21 May 2017, 09:18

I thought that swimming might help my AF, but after a swim in the local chlorinated pool I have increased burning, pain and itching. Oh well, at least I think I know what's causing the flare-up this time.
2014 Anal fissure
2015 CAT, EUA, sigmoidoscopy, 2 MRI
2016 Pain severe then moderate to low
2017 Moderate pain
2018 Physical therapy, pain management
2019-20 Living with it
2021 Still AF
2022 Therapy, meditation
2023 Onward, up
2024 CT scan
dmcff

Topics: 52

Re: Chlorine

Postby hurtinend » 22 May 2017, 22:01

I saw a proctologist a few years ago, he told me to fill the bathtub, and add a few tablespoons of bleach to the water.

I'm still on this board so it didn't work.
hurtinend
King Fissure

Postby dmcff » 23 May 2017, 02:18

And surely bleach could only make it worse?

There seem to be no end of conflicting and contradictory treatments for this trouble. At present I'm going through an increase in pain and inflammation, and really don't know what's the best thing to do. My GP, who earlier told me to wait and see how things developed, is now suggesting that I may want to consider surgery - either Botox or LIS, or both. I'm scared of it, but it may be the only option I have left. Wish I felt more confident.
2014 Anal fissure
2017 Moderate pain
2019-20 Living with it
2021 Still AF
2022 Therapy, meditation
2023 Onward, up
2024 CT scan
dmcff

Postby Mypoorbutt » 23 May 2017, 03:28

Hi
I swim at least 3 times a week I always put on some barrier cream before I go and some coconut oil when I come home.
Chlorine will dry the skin big time especially if it already irritated.
I was fine if I used the cream....6 months post LIS I don't bother using any cream when I'm swimming unless I have had a bad flare and that area is sore anyway

If you enjoy swimming don't stop going but if your hoping it will heal the fissure then it won't.
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby dmcff » 23 May 2017, 04:18

I did stop going swimming for a while - quite a long while, in fact, because of what seemed to be the after-effects - stinging and burning. What kind of barrier cream did you use?

I know that swimming won't heal the fissure, but am wondering what will.
2014 Anal fissure
2017 Moderate pain
2019-20 Living with it
2021 Still AF
2022 Therapy, meditation
2023 Onward, up
2024 CT scan
dmcff

Postby Mypoorbutt » 23 May 2017, 05:05

I love swimming so refuse to let anything stop me lol. I use nappy cream I find sudocreme is one of the best and it doesn't smear and run. But I have used coconut oil at times and that seemed to work ok too as long as I wasn't in for more than 30 mins
I wish I could tell you that something will cure your fissure straight away but it's trial and error obviously if other things don't work then Botox or LIS are options to consider
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby dmcff » 23 May 2017, 05:12

I've ordered some Cavalon cream, as I've heard it's good for that 'down there' area. I did try Sudocrem, but found that it irritated my skin.

As far as I can see, there is no quick fix for AF - it's a long hard slog. I'm now in my 3rd year of it - there are 'good' weeks and bad weeks, but in general it's always the same depressing stinging and burning and pain. My GP seems to think that scar tissue is among the main problems that need addressing, and I am wondering how effective Botox or LIS are going to be with that.
2014 Anal fissure
2017 Moderate pain
2019-20 Living with it
2021 Still AF
2022 Therapy, meditation
2023 Onward, up
2024 CT scan
dmcff

Postby LemonMan » 23 May 2017, 08:14

I'm with mypoorbutt on this one. I love swimming and don't plan on giving it up. I think front crawl is probably better than breaststoke in terms of fissures, and have felt the odd twinge when getting out of the pool, but on the whole I think it is more beneficial to be healthy than not, and I can't run anymore. Having said that I'm on strict orders not to exercise for 4 weeks following botox, but in 4 weeks time I'm back in the pool :-)

To answer the question about scar tissue, my understanding it any scar tissue is often removed before botox or LIS - to create a fresh wound in effect, that then has a better chance of healing. Once a fissure is in this "open sore" chronic state it is really difficult to fix so that bad tissue needs to be removed. Might be worth having a chat with your GP/CRS about that.

LemonMan
Aug 14: Anal Abscess diagnosed
Dec 15: Anterior Anal Fissure diagnosed
Jan 16: Anoheal - Thought was healed end of Jan
Apr 16: Anoheal - Thought was healed end of May
Sep 16: Fissure back. Started Anoheal again
May 17: Botox and banding - fingers crossed
LemonMan
VIP

Topics: 4

Postby dmcff » 23 May 2017, 08:46

Thanks for your post, LemonMan. I certainly don't want to give up swimming either, and I think it's great that you and mypoorbutt refuse to let AF keep you out of the pool. For the first two years of my AF I swam on average 3 or 4 days a week, but for some reason stopped last autumn. When I resumed my swimming I found that I got increased pain and inflammation, and put it down to the chlorine, though it may have had some other origin, I don't know. I think I will try the barrier cream and start visiting the pool again, to see how that goes. But breaststroke is my favourite stroke, and when I do start to swim again I will try to continue with it (am not sure that it doesn't suit AF).

Regarding the removal of scar tissue: it's a pity there isn't an immediately accessible source of information about this anywhere - at least, I haven't been able to find one. My GP has a rather ambivalent attitude to AF surgery: on the one hand she says that it's a way to tackle the problem, but on the other that it's creating a wound where there's already a wound, which some may find disconcerting (I have to admit that I do). She encourages me to explore alternative therapies like probiotics and even acupuncture (I haven't yet), and says that the condition is very much influenced by mental and emotional states.
2014 Anal fissure
2017 Moderate pain
2019-20 Living with it
2021 Still AF
2022 Therapy, meditation
2023 Onward, up
2024 CT scan
dmcff

Postby LemonMan » 23 May 2017, 09:46

Hi dmcff,

Seems to me there is a very stepped approach to anal fissures. A good resource I have found from the NHS is http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Anal-fissu ... tment.aspx
Possibly probiotics help given recent discovery of Crohn's related fungal infection.
I personally eat a tonne of natural yoghurt (mixed with grapes, strawberries etc) and have noticed lots of improvement in my general well being, so maybe something in that. My own GP I feel wasn't that clued up on anal fissures. It was only when I saw a private consultant (that I had to pay for) that I started to get some answers and the pieces of the jigsaw puzzle started to come together. I then went back to the NHS and asked to be referred to him. It took a while, but I feel I am in the best hands now.

Anyhow this is only my experience. Some GPs seem top notch. Sounds like your GP knows you well, so perhaps is thinking of your best interests. I hope things improve for you.

Best LemonMan
Aug 14: Anal Abscess diagnosed
Dec 15: Anterior Anal Fissure diagnosed
Jan 16: Anoheal - Thought was healed end of Jan
Apr 16: Anoheal - Thought was healed end of May
Sep 16: Fissure back. Started Anoheal again
May 17: Botox and banding - fingers crossed
LemonMan
VIP

Topics: 4