Help can't get a referral

Referral for chronic fissure

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Help can't get a referral

Postby Charow » 30 May 2017, 09:55

Hi, please help,
I've had a chronic fissure (after child birth) for 3months now. I live in the U.K. And can't seem to get anyone to take this seriously. I need to be seen by a colorectal insult any but can't get referred quickly. Does anyone have any tips.
I am in pain most of most days and there is blood every time I wipe.

I thought I'd was getting better and then the other day it re opened (no hard BM) but I had been for a run that day which I hadn't done in ages.

Pleas please can someone help??
I can't deal with this much longer

Please
Charow

Topics: 1

Re: Help can't get a referral

Postby Charow » 30 May 2017, 09:56

*insult should say consultant
Charow

Postby Bum_UK » 30 May 2017, 10:43

Firstly, don't wipe when you have a fissure! Gently dab with baby wipes(I use WaterWipes) or even better use the shower to clean off after BMs.

Can you see another GP? Really stress how painful it is etc. The NHS seems to have fairly long waits to see a CRS and for treatment. I have Bupa and got a private referral from an NHS GP. Is there any chance you can afford to pay for a private consultation? The one I have seen the bill for was £200.
Bum_UK
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 15

Postby Mypoorbutt » 30 May 2017, 11:24

Echoing BU please don't wipe I shower and if I'm out use wet toilet roll or baby wipes.
If you have blood you should get a referral quickly within 6 weeks. Try and push for that. Yes you have a fissure but if going with the blood angle gets you seen quicker then that's what you may have to try.
I also saw a private CRS after two useless NHS ones. He also works for the NHS and after seeing him (£200) he transferred me to his NHS list and I had Botox 5 weeks later. In case you can't afford the op privately then most consultants who do both NHS and private work will be happy to transfer you.
This pain is horrendous can you get you GP to prescribe you some gabapentin as it worked really well for the spasms no other painkillers touched the spasm agony. It's also not an opiate so shouldn't have any effect on the bowl
Where are you in the U.K.
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby Charow » 30 May 2017, 15:58

Thank you both for your help.
I do dab and don't wipe (ouch!). I do use baby wipes, I have 3 month old and 3yr old so plenty of those around!
I have told GP about blood And they say they have referred me but I've not had an appointment through so phoned the hospital and they said my case would be assessed to see if I need to see a CSR but this won't be until 14th June then a further wait for a possible appointment.
I have also tried to book a private appointment that I can't really afford £220 that is mid June too.
I'm just really fed up. I struggle to think about anything else. I just want it to go away. I know I'm preaching to the converted sorry about that.

Do either of you have success stories to cheer me up?
Thank you and sorry for moaning
Charow

Postby Mypoorbutt » 31 May 2017, 04:59

Sorry you have to wait but just over two weeks isn't too long although it feels like forever when you are in pain.
Can your GP see your fissure because if they can then they should be able to prescribe GTN or diliatzem which will help stop the spasms so your pain will be much less.
There are lots and lots of people who recover really well and very quickly once they get the creams so please don't think this is something your going to be suffering with for ages
Mypoorbutt

Postby Charow » 31 May 2017, 05:24

Thank you, I was just having a really bad day(s). Ive had GTN, for 4 weeks, it helps with spasms. I think I am so upset as I thought it had gone, continued doing everything the same (GTN movicol etc.) and then it just all started again for no reason. No hard BM just pain after a normal soft one and blood. It's been 3months of on off pain.
Do you think Diliatzem will be better than GTN?
Thank you it's great to be able to talk about it
Charow

Postby Mypoorbutt » 31 May 2017, 06:01

That's the thing with fissures they affect us so much mentally as well as physically. Especially when they hurt for no reason that we can see. It so hard to be trying your best doing everything right then....bang....the blooming thing sets off again. GTN can take 8 weeks to work and there is always a chance diliatzem will work too.
I'm sure once you see a CRS then you will have a much better idea of how your fissure is and what is the best next step.
Mypoorbutt

Postby Bum_UK » 31 May 2017, 06:16

I used diltiazem for around four weeks until I noticed a real difference. The extreme spasms stopped after a couple of weeks but BMs were still painful and I was uncomfortable for an hour or two after most BMs. The real difference also happened at the same time as I stopped trying to put what two GPs said was an internal hemorrhoid back inside. It was a sentinel pile and no wonder I was in agony for hours after I'd outmoded it back in... I stopped using diltiazem a week and a half ago as I got a rash. I've not had any pain for three weeks, during or after BMs. The fissure hasn't fully healed, or hadn't two weeks ago at least, when I saw my CRS. I'll have Botox, fissurectomy and sentinel pile removal on Tuesday.

Keep using the GTN and a stool softener. I still use stool softener and don't intend to stop that anytime soon.
Bum_UK
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 15