Weight loss

How much weight loss is normal

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Weight loss

Postby patience_and_healing » 14 Jun 2017, 21:20

I got my fissure back in December 2016 and since then I've been consistently losing weight. I started at 121 pounds and now down to 112. It would be great to hear from other members who have experienced the same thing and whether this is to be expected with the fissure diet that we are forced to follow. I also had a great deal of stress during this time and I'm not sure how much it contributed to my weight loss. I would've have thought that with the lack of exercise I would gain some weight but it's been the opposite. Could laxatives also lead to weight loss?
8/16-12/16: Fissure due to antibiotics
5/17: Botox to sphincter, fissure healed
9/19: Trigger point injections and pudendal nerve block
11/19: Botox to pelvic floor
8/20: Botox to pelvic floor in new location.
On and off in pelvic physical therapy
patience_and_healing

Topics: 40

Re: Weight loss

Postby Bum_UK » 15 Jun 2017, 02:51

How many calories do you eat a day?

I've lost around 15lbs since early May. I basically stopped eating anything but a small breakfast and small dinner for a week and I lost a lot that week alone. I stopped drinking coffee at the same time, I used to drink three large mugs of milky coffee each day. I also pretty much stopped eating snacks at the time.

I still don't drink coffee but I intend to go back to it slowly when I've hit my target weight. I weighed 86.5kg (approximately twice that if you want it in lbs) in late January which is he last time I weighed myself prior to May. I was 79.3kg last weekend and I intend to get down to around 70-75kg. Which is approximately my height in centimetres minus 100 as they say that's what your ideal weight should be. I weighed 65kg when I moved to the UK... I basically use the fissure diet as an excuse and motivator to get back to a healthier weight.

You've lost a bit of weight but it's over time. I don't know if you were super skinny to start off but if you were try to add to calorific elements to your diet. Stress can contribute to a number of health issues and probably weight loss too.

I don't know about laxatives and weight loss. Keeping in mind that Miralax/Movicol/Laxido are stool softenes not laxatives in the UK but are sold as laxatives in the US. My CRS said they're stool softeners as they aren't stimulants. They won't make you go like senna and stimulants. He also said that Miralax etc are safe to be on forever.
Bum_UK
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 15

Postby Mypoorbutt » 15 Jun 2017, 03:13

I lost 8 stone in the 18 months but I had a lot spare to lose.
I have now put about 7lb back on but seem to be staying at this weight now
Like BU I virtually stopped eating in fact I did about six months where I only ate bread potatoes and bacon and that was only 4 days a week.
The pain was so bad and my other issues made me very scared to risk food
I have thought of trying to market the fissure diet but don't know how to mask the agony lol
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby Mr Fissure » 15 Jun 2017, 06:36

It's funny how fissures affect everyone differently. I put on nearly 2 stone since my AF, primarily because I've stopped exercising, yet didn't lose my appetite or change my diet much (always been fairly balanced, with a lot of fruit & veg).
Mr Fissure
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 2

Postby Bum_UK » 15 Jun 2017, 10:30

MPB, a few working titles. Lose Weight with the Fissure Diet: Without the Pain in the A**, Diet Like a Fissure Sufferer Without the Suffering... :D
Bum_UK
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 15

Postby empty_butt » 15 Jun 2017, 11:31

I too, like many here, had lost weight since I developed this fissure in March, basically because I cut sweets, lactose, gluten, bad sugars. I only take soy, non-gluten cereals, vegs, proteins of white meat, eggs and fish.

I was barely able to walk since a month ago, and the lack of exercise did nothing but make me skinnier.

I started already underweight at around 49 kg for 170cm, now I’m between 46-47.
Desperately trying to put on some weight :(
empty_butt
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby hurtinend » 15 Jun 2017, 19:51

I've gained weight due to lack of exercise, depression and drinking copious amounts of alcohol to kill pain.
hurtinend
King Fissure

Topics: 52

Postby William2 » 16 Jun 2017, 13:02

I've lost almost 30 pounds since January due to my fissure diet. I'm at my ideal weight now, but still slowly getting lighter. Hopefully I don't waste away before this heals completely.

I miss burgers...and alcohol...and sweets. :(
8/09 - 12/10: fissure, cured by LIS/fissurectomy
1/17 - present: fissure/hemms, healed but pain remained, 3 CRSs (nifedipine, infrared coag) were no help, cold dilating >= 1" helped but still have pain when sitting
William2
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 24

Postby empty_butt » 16 Jun 2017, 13:25

William2 wrote:I miss burgers...and alcohol...and sweets. :(

I hear you so bad!
I’ve dreamt of making cookies, trying one and feeling guilty because I know I have a fissure in my dreams, too.
:groan:
empty_butt
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby patience_and_healing » 16 Jun 2017, 20:51

Thanks for all the replies! I see everyone has a different experience when it comes to weight management with a fissure. I'm not sure how many calories I eat in a day, I'm really bad at calculating the unless it's written on a box. I agree that I should add more calorific items but I will do that slowly so as not to upset the BM consistency.

I miss all the tasty wheat food items I would eat. I'm not sure if gluten was harming me so I've mostly stopped eating it unless the temptation gets too much.

Misery loves company I guess, but I wish all of us will no longer be miserable in the near future and can enjoy eating tasty things again. Although I think I will always be careful because of the terrible time I've had these past 6 months.
8/16-12/16: Fissure due to antibiotics
5/17: Botox to sphincter, fissure healed
9/19: Trigger point injections and pudendal nerve block
11/19: Botox to pelvic floor
8/20: Botox to pelvic floor in new location.
On and off in pelvic physical therapy
patience_and_healing

Topics: 40