Got bad news. Incision isn't healing. Need advice

Anyone have to have another procedure for the incision?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Got bad news. Incision isn't healing. Need advice

Postby ResMePlz » 20 Jun 2017, 11:45

So I went for my 8 week check up post LIS. He said my incision isn't healing because granules have formed at the site, basically stopping it from completely closing. He wants to do a "5 minute procedure under anesthesia" where he would scoop out the granules and clean the wound up so it would have a chance to heal again.

Anyone have this problem or have this done? He said he's only had to do it 2 other times ever. He tried to clean it up in the office which hurt like a bitch.

He said I may be sore for a couple of days afterwords, but I have a hard time believing that. Any advice or experiences would be appreciated. Thanks!
ResMePlz
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Re: Got bad news. Incision isn't healing. Need advice

Postby ResMePlz » 20 Jun 2017, 11:46

I mean, I have a hard time believing I would only be sore for a couple of days.
ResMePlz
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby Sal7864 » 09 Jul 2017, 18:30

Res, I am in the same boat. Only its been 5 months. Did you ever have it done? If so how did it go? I am very leery about it, but i also have a leakage issue which he says should stop after its healed. I was out of work 6 weeks , i had an abcess which set me back. I also lost 30 lbs, now my weight has stabilized.
I find it hard to believe that i could "return to work 2 days after its done" considering all of the other issues i have had. I cant be out another 6 week nor can i afford to lose any more weight.

Thoughts appreciated!
Sal7864
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby banjobuddy » 15 Jul 2017, 06:41

Sal and Res,

I have a similar issue where I still have a sore area near the incision site and just on the edge or opening of the anus. I too had an abscess which eventually 95% cleared up after taking the dreaded antibiotics. My first thought was I had a fistula, but my CRS was certain I hadn't as this virtually never happens with the LIS surgery. I am a lot better than I was, but I am concerned that this one area still seems to be sore with a few dabs of pus every so often, some two and a half months after my op (27th April). I'm also producing fairly large bulky motions, which doesn't really doesn't help a lot. I have sitz baths after every bowel motion which helps quite a bit. I'm trying to stay off all ointments as I was a slave to them for years. I also have an issue with weight, as I'm on a fairly low calorific diet. On the plus side, I think my fissure seems to be gone, even though it's not super comfortable passing motions.
banjobuddy
Salt Bather

Topics: 18

Postby Sal7864 » 15 Jul 2017, 08:56

Ban, I hope yours heals to 100% soon. So the thing is that for mine is it doesn't hurt to go at all it's just sometimes the cleanup can be messy and slight leakage. It does not seem to leak as much when the stool is firm pretty dry it's worse when it's a little sloppy . I'm going back to see my surgeon on the 31st to see what my options are I'm really leaning against any further procedures down there. If he tells me this thing is healing still healing but hhealing slow I'll just stay the course I think. If not I may seek a second opinion.
Sal7864
Salt Bather

Postby raoden » 17 Jul 2017, 19:18

I am nearly 6 weeks post surgery. Visited the CRS today and he said that my fissure is nearly healed. But the surgical site is still not completely healed. I also had an abcess 10 days post surgery which was lanced. But I was not put on antibiotics. My CRS also said that it is extremely unlikely to get a fistula after LIS. I don't have much drainage, but there is a sore spot near the incision site. He said cauterizing with silver nitrate would help with the healing process. It did burn somewhat bad, but nothing compared to fissure pain.

How long does it take for the surgical site to heal normally?
raoden
Salt Bather

Postby Sal7864 » 17 Jul 2017, 19:28

That's a great question. The standard answer that you usually get is tgat everyone heals differently. It's amazing to me how it can be healed like 90% And all the sudden just stop healing. I may ask for another silver nitrate treatment before I do any kind of other surgery. I refuse to believe it this is a permanent thing I didn't have any issues before all this started ...ever. and as I said before if I don't like what I'm hearing I will seek a second opinion
Sal7864
Salt Bather

Postby banjobuddy » 17 Jul 2017, 19:49

At least it's comforting to know we have a shared experience with the slow healing. It is a bit concerning that it doesn't seem to be fully healing, but I just have to hope it will in time. I don't know if any of you have a similar experience as me with passing wind (notice the polite term lol!)? It can be quite uncomfortable unless I lie on my side and basically shift the old gluteous maximus to one side - probably something to do with the incision site creating friction or pressure. Still having a few problems with large full motions - you'd swear I's had a seven-course meal from the amount of stool I passed today - twice! Very unnerving - no blood though, if a trifle uncomfortable. I never really had terribly large motions before my LIS. Maybe it had something to do with the tightness of the sphincter (?)
banjobuddy
Salt Bather

Topics: 18

Postby Sal7864 » 17 Jul 2017, 20:01

I went 4x today, ugh! But at least no pain. I could lI've with going a lot if it wasnt for the damn seepage or the inability to get clean some times. I used to not go for 2 days or so then a little, then unload on the weekends with thin stools but a ton. As far as gas, yes I remember it hurting in the early stages of recovery , but not so much now. It helped me when I tried to let it ease out so to speak. I think between the surgery and all the weight I lost, somehow my digestive system has changed from constipated to steady eddie.
Sal7864
Salt Bather

Postby raoden » 18 Jul 2017, 08:02

I also feel a slight irritation/friction at the incision site when I have to pass wind. For me it is a slight discomfort not pain. I do see tiny points of blood on the TP when cleaning. My CRS asked me to come back in 6 weeks after the silver nitrate yesterday. He expects it to be fully healed by then. Hoping it does heal in that time and won't have to do anything else. Can't believe it has been close to 4 months since this pain started. It still won't end fully :(. Atleast I am not squirming in pain after BMs. So thankful for that.
raoden
Salt Bather