Botox swelling preventing fissure healing

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Postby NoPainLikeSpASSmPain » 11 Jul 2017, 23:06

How on earth is my fissure supposed to heal with all the swelling from botox??!! :x :evil:

I finally got botox injections 14 days ago, and within the last 10 days I've developed 3 tiny hard bumps (broken blood vessels at injection sites) and a whole lot of bulging, squishy swelling. And I re-ruptured yet again today for the umpteenth time this year, probably from all the skin stretching from the swelling. :sadd:

The whole idea is for the fissure to heal while botox is active in my body, and then move on with my life with NO LIS and no return to the excruciating spasms. But now I'm concerned that the swelling will prevent the fissure from healing, and I'll continue with my rupture-heal-rupture cycle until I finally cave to LIS. I'm only glad that I currently get to "enjoy" a much-needed reprieve from the debilitating spasm pain for a few weeks. :cheers: :whew:

I've been a lurker here for quite a while, and dreamed that I'd finally post here one day with my own success story. But(t) no such luck yet. This has been a long, painful, frustrating journey. I was 7 weeks postpartum in the first week of Jan when the fissure formed when I was pushing out very hard stool through external hemorrhoids. The fissure formed over and around a hemorrhoid. It's probably about 2" long outside to inside from what I can feel.

I've tried applying/inserting Nifedipine, coconut oil, olive oil, ozonated olive oil, aloe vera juice, comfrey aloe vera balm, golden seal-myrrh balm, Carlson vitamin E suppositories, Dr. Butler's ointment, Mama bottom balm, but nothing has helped to heal it for more than a few days.

Possible IBS swinging my BM's from diarrhea to hard has caused quite a few derailments, too. Each re-rupture and derailment has been very frustrating and makes me feel like I'm back to square one. :~!@:

I have two little ones under 3 years old. It's been a difficult 6 months. I'm afraid I'll end up with LIS or live like this for the rest of my life. :(
NoPainLikeSpASSmPain
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: Botox swelling preventing fissure healing

Postby patience_and_healing » 20 Jul 2017, 23:07

Hi there and welcome to the forum. You've had a really rough journey and I'm sorry to hear that the Botox has made things worse. Do you have any redness at all around the anus? Has the doctor confirmed that you don't have an infection?

You could try the fodmap diet to prevent the swing from constipation to diarrhea. Also small doses of miralax and a non-bulking fiber like benefiber can help.

There's hope ahead for you! You will not live like this for the rest of your life, don't worry! :smilyhug:
8/16-12/16: Fissure due to antibiotics
5/17: Botox to sphincter, fissure healed
9/19: Trigger point injections and pudendal nerve block
11/19: Botox to pelvic floor
8/20: Botox to pelvic floor in new location.
On and off in pelvic physical therapy
patience_and_healing

Topics: 40

Postby NoPainLikeSpASSmPain » 25 Jul 2017, 15:02

Hi Patience and Healing. Thank you for your concern and kind words.

Over the last several days, the swelling and pain have receded. My last re-rupture was Mon, 17th. Since then things seemed to be going well, and I was feeling quite good and in good spirits. Then this morning again I re-ruptured for seemingly no reason. Soft skinny BM that exited by itself, no pushing. BLOOD on tp. It was at that moment that I realized that it doesn't matter what I do, it's going to rupture anyway.

All this time, I've had such a great attitude, used humor, been strong, determined to beat this, continued to be HOPEful, but now I feel so down and hopeless and in despair. Hope disappearing is a terrible feeling. I'm at a loss now for my next step.

I long to carry my toddler. It's been many months. I miss it. I'm not able to carry my infant in his carseat or wear him in a carrier; I always need help. I'm not always able to go to the store or park or do simple things because it depends on what type of day I'm having. Even on a good day I have to keep taking breaks to sit because I can't stand or walk for long. I'm afraid to travel. I'm tired of talking about this problem with friends or family. It's the same update over and over.

To answer your question, I don't have an infection. I'm trying very hard to stick to a low FODMAP diet, though it's difficult and confusing. My diet is mostly fruits and vegetables now with some tuna or chicken some days.
NoPainLikeSpASSmPain
Fibre Addict

Postby patience_and_healing » 25 Jul 2017, 16:14

I'm sorry to hear that you haven't had much improvement. Have you contacted your doctor to let them know about your situation?
8/16-12/16: Fissure due to antibiotics
5/17: Botox to sphincter, fissure healed
9/19: Trigger point injections and pudendal nerve block
11/19: Botox to pelvic floor
8/20: Botox to pelvic floor in new location.
On and off in pelvic physical therapy
patience_and_healing

Topics: 40

Postby NoPainLikeSpASSmPain » 25 Jul 2017, 16:24

I have a follow up appt scheduled for next week, which will be about a month after the botox injections.
NoPainLikeSpASSmPain
Fibre Addict

Postby Mypoorbutt » 26 Jul 2017, 05:00

Hi sorry to hear you suffering all I can say is that sometimes Botox can take a while to "kick in" fully, for some people it can take six weeks for full effect.
Also I know my CRS often does two or three rounds of Botox especially on young females who would rather not have LIS
Maybe you could ask to have the hem it's on removed as if the hem is swelling that will cause the fissure to rip hems can swell regardless of BMs
You could try colodial silver on your hems to keep the swelling down
Good luck
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby NoPainLikeSpASSmPain » 26 Jul 2017, 08:48

Thank you!

I'll keep that in mind about the botox...although I'm no longer sure if I want another round and get more broken blood vessels and swelling. Although perhaps that was still better than spasms coz I could still function somehow.

I have colloidal silver in the fridge to help with closing stubborn wounds. Not sure how much it helps.

Something that has helped tremendously with the swelling and pain the last few weeks has been the Hemorrwedge ice pack that I bought from Amazon when this all started at the beginning of the year. When I have had terrible spasms nothing has helped.
NoPainLikeSpASSmPain
Fibre Addict

Postby Mypoorbutt » 26 Jul 2017, 08:58

Just shows how we are all so different I couldnt stand putting ice on mine when my fissure was bad it intensified the spasm a lot. Only really hot baths would help me.
The silver has never help me with wound healing but is great for swelling now my fissure has gone I keep mine in the fridge for my hems
I would guess if you have the LIS they will remove the hem
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby NoPainLikeSpASSmPain » 26 Jul 2017, 11:19

When my fissure has been bad, nothing has helped. I've had to wait it out, laying on my stomach for hours until the spasms subsided just enough to hobble around.

But otherwise, cold helps me so much more than hot. Washing with cold/cool water, comfortably cool sitz baths, frozen coconut/olive oil suppositories, and the ice pack for swelling.

I'll ask about the hem(s), but they're not continuous problems, they come and go. The last few weeks, all the swelling from the botox is what's been causing the current issues. This morning I could still feel the 3-4 hard lumps (broken blood vessels) that haven't dissolved yet, but thank goodness the accompanying swelling has gone.
NoPainLikeSpASSmPain
Fibre Addict

Postby NoPainLikeSpASSmPain » 26 Jul 2017, 11:50

p&h, did you go through another round of botox? Where are you in your healing journey?

mpb, did you have any setbacks after LIS, or did it all heal quite smoothly within a few weeks? How long did it take to return to your old self/life?
NoPainLikeSpASSmPain
Fibre Addict