Nitro Ointment and Miralax

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Nitro Ointment and Miralax

Postby lytefall » 22 Sep 2017, 10:54

Couple questions....

So my surgeon prescribed nitro again even though it didn't work last time. He said to make sure I get it "right in there". I asked if that meant in the fissure or deeper and he said "mostly the fissure but deeper will help relax the muscle".

So I tried to apply it and I can barely even fit my pinky finger in, it's so tight. Am I missing something here?

As far as Miralax goes I am having a hard time finding the right balance. It took a double dose before I had a painless BM but now a double dose means diarrhea and 5-6 runs to the bathroom a day and pain. I cut back by 1/4 dose to start and ended up having a hard enough BM to tear and bleed. Any tips to figure this out. I had a good couple weeks but am in agony again now.
lytefall
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Re: Nitro Ointment and Miralax

Postby patience_and_healing » 23 Sep 2017, 13:12

Can you get nifedipine prescribed instead of nitro? It is just as effective (maybe more) and doesn't cause the same headaches that nitro does. It's really not essential to shove your finger in while applying it, and that may cause more damage. Try sitting on the toilet, and then with a gloved finger apply it on the rim. It will relax the muscles internally too. It's not surprising that the muscle is so tight because a fissure causes it to go into spasm.

I kept a diet and laxative diary using Excel for many months, and filled it out everyday with notes on pain during BMs, diet, supplements, and BM consistency. I found it very helpful because I could spot patterns and figure out why a BM was different. You could try something similar to figure out why you're having random hard BMs.
8/16-12/16: Fissure due to antibiotics
5/17: Botox to sphincter, fissure healed
9/19: Trigger point injections and pudendal nerve block
11/19: Botox to pelvic floor
8/20: Botox to pelvic floor in new location.
On and off in pelvic physical therapy
patience_and_healing

Topics: 40

Re: Nitro Ointment and Miralax

Postby lytefall » 24 Sep 2017, 12:16

I have had diltiazem but not nifedipine.

I had a reaction to diltiazem and it caused a painful rash. I haven’t had any issue with headaches with the nitro. Even if I lay down after applying it.
lytefall
Salt Bather

Topics: 10