Scheduled for 2nd LIS - Any success stories?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Scheduled for 2nd LIS - Any success stories?

Postby mmklinemm » 18 Feb 2018, 12:47

Long story short... I was diagnosed with AF in 2014. I had LIS that October. Everything felt good and healed until February 2017. I couldn't get in to see my surgeon, so I saw another CRS in the same practice. He confirmed the AF, put me on Nifedipine, and recommended Botox if it didn't heal. After months and months, I felt healed.

Then, about a month ago I felt the tell-tale signs. No major pain, spasms, or blood, but I recognized the sensations. I got lucky and was able to see my original CRS. She confirmed it's the SAME EXACT fissure from 2014. She says it healed 75%, and that is why the symptoms are much less intense. She recommended a 2nd LIS and says since it's so much smaller, the incision will be, as well. I'm scheduled for March 5th.

I know all the risks associated with a 2nd LIS. Can anyone give me some hope this will finally fix my ongoing AF problems? Has anyone here had long-term success with a 2nd LIS?

On a positive note, I had thought this was a third AF and that I was prone to them and woud fear them for the rest of my life. It makes me feel better knowing it's the same AF that just didn't heal completely.

Thanks in advance! :afsmile:
mmklinemm
VIP

Topics: 13

Re: Scheduled for 2nd LIS - Any success stories?

Postby Mypoorbutt » 18 Feb 2018, 13:38

Hi,
I can’t offer advice but will watch your progress with interest as my fissure has reared it’s ugly head and I’m seeing my CRS on the 18th if march and will be asking about a 2nd LIS.
Super good luck and I really hope it all goes well
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby mmklinemm » 05 Mar 2018, 19:02

Thanks, mpb. I had the surgery this morning. She told my husband it went well. Fingers crossed I heal as well as last time. I'll post a more thorough update in my diary log. How are you feeling?
mmklinemm
VIP

Postby Mypoorbutt » 06 Mar 2018, 01:41

Oh that’s great I’m sure you will recover well.
I’m doing ok thanx still some stinging but not with every BM and it doesn’t last long so I think it’s healing slowly with the GTN

Look forward to hearing your progress
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby Canadabum » 21 May 2018, 19:46

Mm - wondering how you are doing. I had LIS about a year ago and have had minor issues since...but a bigger tear two days ago. Was that your experience - any concerns for you with scars etc. Hope you are well.

CB
Canadabum

Topics: 19

Postby mmklinemm » 22 May 2018, 11:53

Hey CB! I'm doing really well. Yesterday marked 11 weeks postop. My recovery was a little rougher than the first LIS. But now that I'm feeling good, I'm no longer having any fissure issues. I have an old anterior sentinel pile that does cause some discomfort when it flares. That always scares me and makes me worry. Pretty sure it will for the rest of my life. I worry a lot about scar tissue. I don't think there's anything I can do to prevent it, though. I've become sensitive to just about every ointment or cream out there. So, I doubt the fear of retearing will ever leave me. But, I've got my foods and supplements down and plan to stick to this routine for the rest of my life. I miss running. I've considered taking up cycling, again, after I feel enough time has passed. But, honestly, I'm worried my exercising days are over. I'm trying to be content with daily walking. I'm just too worried about setbacks since there aren't many options left for me. Advancement flap terrifies me. I think I'd ask for a colostomy first!! Physically, I feel awesome. Mentally, it's still a work in progress. :)

I hope your retear heals quickly!! Are you seeing your CRS soon?
mmklinemm
VIP

Postby Canadabum » 22 May 2018, 12:16

So glad to hear you are doing well. That’s really wonderful!

Give yourself a few months and then think about your excercise...who knows, maybe you’ll become a long distance swimmer.

I have an appt with my regular doc today and am not sure if I should see my CRS...the tear may be healing and I’m taking miralax for a couple weeks just in case. Crossing my fingers!

What pushed you to do #2...lots of small setbacks or another real fissure?
Canadabum

Postby mmklinemm » 22 May 2018, 13:00

I'm crossing my fingers for you, too!

When I found out it was the same fissure from 2014 still causing me problems, I knew it would never heal by itself. That made the decision easy. I wasn't in as much pain as before, but it was hurting, impacting my lfe, overtaking every food choice, etc. I'm happy I did it. I feel better now than I have in more than a year.

Please let me know how your appointment goes!
mmklinemm
VIP

Postby mmklinemm » 25 May 2018, 19:23

CB - how did your appointment go?
mmklinemm
VIP

Postby Canadabum » 28 May 2018, 14:03

Thanks for asking. I saw my GP who had little to say other than I should see the CRS...CRS is on vacation till the 5th or so...then it will take a week or two for sure to see him. I’ll keep
You posted.

How are you doing?
Canadabum