new to this sick of the pain

trying the creams with little results

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

new to this sick of the pain

Postby fahsickofthis » 02 Feb 2018, 00:10

I am new to this site. I have had pretty much chronic diarehhea since my gall bladder removal 8 yrs ago. This of course involves a lot of WIPING. It is pretty manageable most of the time, but, for the last 5 months, the pain during and after bowel movements is almost unbearable. Loose stools burn like the fires of hell, (or like I am passing acid!) and even semi formed movements feel like ground glass passing. It honestly takes me at least 5 minutes after a BM just to get the courage up to stand and walking after can be challenging. This gets to be an issue at work. My walking is becoming noticeable enough that people ask me if my back has gone out. I have consulted a couple of times with my regular doctor, she sent me to a GI and the GI sent me to a surgeon. I assumed at first it was hemmoroids, and while I do have one of those, I have not been definitely diagnosed with a fissure. The GI prescribed a couple of different creams, including one that was inserted (because it is not uncomfortable enough to have things come OUT, we are now putting things IN!) The surgeon prescribed diltiazem 2% in vanicream, that seemed to help for a week, but, the last two days have been bad again with bleeding and pain. I do sitz baths, use "water wipes" (because I self medicated with prep H cream and wipes and apparently had a reaction to those) and A&D ointment. I have a follow up with the surgeon on the 14th. Any words of encouragement would be appreciated. Afraid of surgery, but, more afraid I will be dealing with this any longer!
fahsickofthis
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: new to this sick of the pain

Postby Mypoorbutt » 02 Feb 2018, 05:40

Hi I got my fissure from years of diarrhoea due to crohns and yes my CRS said that liquid BMs are so acidic the burn the skin away over the years and are much worse than constipation.
I would highly recommend you getting tablets from your gp or GI for gallbladder diarrhoea they work really well I can’t remember the name but if you google it I’m sure you will find them, a friend of mine had her gallbladder removed and after 8 months of chronic diarrhoea her gp gave them to her and she was back to normal in a week or so.
Please don’t wipe with toilet paper especially if your having liquid BMs if you can then use a shower head or portable bidet. Wiping after acidic BMs is the worst thing....I did it for years and my CRS says it was the biggest mistake.
I know it sounds insane to go poking around up there when it’s already in pain but the cream will help a lot, also try using a barrier cream or a nappy cream before your BM to help protect the area from the acid.
I had Botox and LIS and would recommend both but not until the diarrhoea has been sorted or your recovery will not be fun....I had a flare of my crohns after my LIS and was in the worst pain ever, also if you can’t sort the problem you will possibly get another fissure later on. I’m not sure if you can take loperamide/Imodium after a gallbladder removal but if you can then maybe try them as there are no side effects and when my IBS plays up I take loperamide instead of upping my crohns meds
Good luck
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby Vishal » 07 Feb 2018, 21:18

Hi there
You should try coconut oil. It really helped with the burning for me. I use it orally; 1 teaspoon with every meal. But dont know if its ok to use when you have diarrhoea. I saw some people say they apply inside the anus using a syringe.
Vishal
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby fahsickofthis » 19 Feb 2018, 11:56

I had the LIS surgery on Feb 8th. Got in to my surgeon since the diltiazem was not working. Went in on the 7th and she just said "Let's not mess around with this anymore. Let's put you under, see what we are dealing with, and go from there" She did the LIS and removed a "tag". (Is that a hemmoroid? I will have to ask when I see her for follow up on Wed) She said the fissure was larger than she expected and that she understood I must have had a lot of pain. Still have a "bump" that is tender when I wipe that I would like to get rid of. Would like to see it, but, my husband refuses to take a picture, and taking a "selfie" of it hasn't worked out... lol, but I AM curious! Otherwise, the pain has been minimal. Only took 3 pain pills after the surgery and if I hadn't had them I probably would have gotten by on ibuprophen, but, having had multiple surgeries in the past, I try to stay ahead of the pain. For the first few days, I did no wiping AT ALL, just hosed off in the shower (doc said no baths) and now wipes are my best friend! I mostly do "water wipes" (found in the baby products) or ones with little to no additives. I am trying to add more fiber to my diet to "firm up" my stools and am taking pepto and/or Imodium when the pooping gets to be too much. I am also avoiding spicy and acidic foods. (funny how much you can miss jalapenos when you cut them out!) But, all in all, the surgery was more than worth it! Gone are the days that I used the toilet and had to wait at least 5 minutes to get the courage up just to stand up and move! Oh, not to mention the next 30 minutes to an hour it took for the spasms to subside!
fahsickofthis
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Mypoorbutt » 19 Feb 2018, 12:08

Really glad it’s all gone so well for you and I’m sure that in the future you will be able to add the jalapeños back in.
I’m sure by using the pepto and the Imodium, you will find a happy medium and be able to add things back in. Thanks to Imodium I managed to have alcohol over xmas with no bad effects.
Sometimes fissures can form a sentinel pile which turns into a skin tag, that will be what she removed as if left it can hamper healing.
Super good luck for healing I’m sure you will do great as it seems like your well on the way
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20