2nd Botox vs LIS

Would you do Botox again or surgery

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

2nd Botox vs LIS

Postby Canttakethis » 24 Feb 2018, 13:20

I an three weeks post Botox that did not work and actually made my currents fissures worse. (I believe that was from the examination under anesthesia that my doctor performed to make sure nothing else was wrong). I have had fissures for 14+ months. It’s been horrible, as I’m sure you all know- terrible fissure pain and spasms constantly. No creams have worked and I was so hopeful Botox would. I am also taking Valium, Tramadol and Gabepentin and they don’t even touch the pain. Now my choices are wait a few months and try Botox a second time, or do LIS. I really do not want to have surgery. I am terrified of something going wrong and also just the idea of what is done really scares me. And I don’t know how I will be able to handle the recovery as I have to take care of my kids. That being said, I can’t really take care of them now. I have no semblance of a normal life. I can’t even walk around the block must less go to the grocery store or socialize. But the idea of being in even more pain during the recovery is something I’m not sure I can handle physically, mentally, or emotionally after all I’ve already been though for 14 months. I really just want to Botox to work. In any event, how many tried multiple times of Botox prior to surgery? Did it ever work? Would you go for a 2nd Botox or have the surgery? Does the LIS stop the spasms? Does that happend immediately? Thank you! Sending hugs to all suffering from the horrific ailment.
Canttakethis
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Re: 2nd Botox vs LIS

Postby Katie » 25 Feb 2018, 12:50

I have had 5 bottox injections and two ops nothing worked in the end I had the Lis I had it 6 weeks ago tomorrow and recovery is not bad at all every one is different but it's better then my other ops i had go for it and get your life back I'm still healing
Katie
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 2

Postby Mypoorbutt » 25 Feb 2018, 15:55

If I were you I would go straight for the LIS. you could have been unlucky with your doctor who could have injected in the wrong place but even so LIS is still the best option for a fissure.
I had Botox as you know and it stopped my spasms from day one, I had LIS and my spasms got a lot worse but I was unlucky that my crohns flared. The LIS doesn’t paralyse the sphincter in the way Botox should. The make a measured cut which in the U.K. at least is never the full length of the sphincter. It doesn’t stop it working just lower the tone, it will in time....usually 2-4 years regain 80% of the original tone.
I can attest that that happens as I have a new fissure and I can tell the tone had gotten tighter over the last few months.
There is very little chance of anything going wrong with LIS it’s been carried out for years it’s the gold standard of fissure treatment and if things went wrong it would have been replaced which even the invention of creams and Botox hasn’t happened.
I would have had LIS the first day of my spasms and would have it again in a heartbeat if the spasms came back full strength or on a regular basis.
My BMs are liquid 90% of the time in a flare and I have never experienced incontinence after LIS. As far as recovery goes I went food shopping the morning after my op....should I have done, probably not...and sorted my children out every day after. I took 2 weeks of work and if not for my flare that would have been enough.
What do you have to loose...I know the pain your in and trust me nothing is worse than that
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby Canttakethis » 26 Feb 2018, 17:38

Thank you. I’m just scared I guess.... You are right, I’ve been though SO much horrible pain in the past 14 months, I can’t imagine surgery would be worse. I have birthed two kids (with one epidural being at the last minute and with incomplete coverage), been in a bad car accident that caused serious a back injury, broken bones, and had other injuries and illnesses, and even other surgeries and NOTHING has even come close to the pain of these spasms. Nothing. You all know what I mean. I have to get my life back, for myself and my family. Katie, I hope you continue to heal and are back to 100%. My poor butt, you have been through a lot. I am so sorry that you have to manage Chrons on top of this. I wish you all the best with your healing.
Canttakethis
Salt Bather

Postby missy moo » 28 Feb 2018, 04:17

Katie wrote:I have had 5 bottox injections and two ops nothing worked in the end I had the Lis I had it 6 weeks ago tomorrow and recovery is not bad at all every one is different but it's better then my other ops i had go for it and get your life back I'm still healing

Hi Katie
Was you fissure anterior? I see you got yours after a few weeks of having your baby so did I so just wondering I had Botox 2.5 weeks ago just wondering if it's going to work for my anterior fissure. Thanks
missy moo
King Fissure

Topics: 37

Postby Katie » 28 Feb 2018, 13:31

Hi I think it's just were I found going to the toilet hard after having the baby plus looking back I had my gall bladder out before I got pregnant and I hear this also makes your toiler harder! Hope your bottox works my first one did not x
Katie
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 2

Postby missy moo » 28 Feb 2018, 16:42

Katie wrote:Hi I think it's just were I found going to the toilet hard after having the baby plus looking back I had my gall bladder out before I got pregnant and I hear this also makes your toiler harder! Hope your bottox works my first one did not x

Thanks was your fissure anterior?
missy moo
King Fissure

Postby Canttakethis » 01 Mar 2018, 15:23

I have one anterior and one posterior. I met with my CRS today and he recommended a second Botox. I have to wait three months from the first bc even though it didn’t work it has to be completely out of my system. He only used 50cc last time so he’s going to inject more this time. I also just started seeing a pelvic floor physical therapist to help with spasms and both she and my CRS recommended also seeing a urogynocologist. My CRS feels with these things I can hopefully recover without LIS. I am trying to be positive!
Canttakethis
Salt Bather

Postby missy moo » 04 Mar 2018, 04:32

Hey so your surgeon didn't remove any scar tissue before putting in Botox? Have you very felt the fissure? Does it feel rough? Mine does an I didn't have any of the scar tissue removed
missy moo
King Fissure

Postby Canttakethis » 12 Mar 2018, 18:21

I’m not sure if you question is for me, but I’ve never had a doctor mention scar tissue. I’m not sure if that means I don’t have any. How would you know if you have scar tissue? I’ve had the fissures for almost 16 months. I cannot feel my fissures. I mean I feel where they are b/c it’s painful when I apply medication but I can’t actually feel what they feel like. For me the spasms are by far the worst part of all this. Good luck and hope you’re feeling better.
Canttakethis
Salt Bather