Fissure problem this time !

Will this thing ever heal ?

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Fissure problem this time !

Postby Wotan » 23 Feb 2018, 03:44

Good morning from the UK. I am a 64 yr old guy who is now retired. keep fit and am healthy. No issues....apart from this fissure. I have had them previously on an off, but this is nasty. Started just over 3 weeks ago after a bout of constipation. Went on a high fibre diet, took fibogell and applied 1% hydrocorisone Anusol suppositories. Some relief, but can only use them for 7 days, so off to the Dr.

A quick examination and she also said she could see a haemorrhoid as well. Not much comment, but put me on Rectogesic. I have now been on it just over 1 week, and although I don't feel too bad and the irritation is less I am still getting pain on passing a motion.
Is this normal, or am I expecting the cream to work too soon? I am applying it correctly, and I am able to push it in now without hardly any discomfort. By the way, I go regularly, mostly once a day. Stools normal and no bleeding. Drinking plenty of fluids....Do I just persevere ( I have the stuff for up to 8 weeks, so when should the pain start to ease !!... I fear that my next step will be off to a surgeon if this does not work.)...Any advice, comments would be of help. Thanks !!!
Wotan
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: Fissure problem this time !

Postby Mypoorbutt » 23 Feb 2018, 03:53

Hi,
Yes unfortunately Rectogesic can take a few weeks to work. But you have caught your fissure early and have been extremely lucky that you gp saw it and prescribed the right cream for it straight away as this very rarely happens.
I would continue with the cream for the full 8 weeks even if you feel healed. Also lots of hot baths encourage blood flow to the area and aid the healing. Another tip try not to use toilet paper try to clean with a shower head or portable bidet as toilet paper will irritate the fissure
Good luck
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby Wotan » 23 Feb 2018, 04:07

Thank you so much for your advice !. I use Andrex soft wipes, and I have a dab of KY jelly on the area before inserting the ointment. I do use the normal wipe then, but with care !!!...I will certainly keep up with the 8-week course. I get a lot of exercise as well ( running, gym etc ), and find the baths help. I must admit, once I have been to the loo I don't get much afterpain/spasm. I am lucky its tolerable but still like passing glass after the motion !
Wotan
Fibre Addict

Postby Mypoorbutt » 23 Feb 2018, 07:01

It’s great that your not getting spasms as it is the spasms that stop the healing process. So I’m sure with continued use of the cream and everything else that you are doing it will heal pretty quickly.
You could always try applying a barrier cream before s BM as this will reduce any residue left in the fissure and should help with the pain while passing a BM
Mypoorbutt

Postby Wotan » 23 Feb 2018, 08:06

Once again, many thanks for the advice, it's a great help. Can't really say I have much discomfort in the day after a motion, the odd ache, but nothing which really requires medication. Will try the barrier cream
Wotan
Fibre Addict

Where to next !!

Postby Wotan » 12 Mar 2018, 10:20

Many thanks to all who helped me with my first post when starting Rectogesic, but where to next ?. it's coming up to 1 month since I was prescribed this ointment, and I have used it exactly twice per day as prescribed. Apart from an initial headache, I have suffered no further issues, and am able to administer PR as prescribed.
After 3 weeks I have noticed a reduction in pain. I am not getting the burning/passing glass sensation, although I still think it is slightly there but maybe getting less. Problem is the tube is almost gone, and on Thursday it will be one month.
I have a feeling it is at last perhaps working, but I am very worried its only a temporary thing. I am probably going to see my GP to see if he will give me another tube and keep going for the 8 weeks...OR, do you think he will decide it's not being that effective and refer me for surgery ( which I don't want if I can help it ! ). Question is, have any on this forum had a similar scenario, ie, is it usual to continue this ointment for up to 8 weeks, as although the pain has eased I am sure it's not cured..Cheers everybody
Wotan
Fibre Addict

Postby Mypoorbutt » 12 Mar 2018, 12:50

Hi you should continue for the full 8 weeks as healing can come at the end of that time. If your not getting spasms then perhaps you do t need surgery just yet and most CRS’s on the NHS would do two lots of cream so 16 weeks before considering the next step.
I have used rectogesic on and off for over 2 years and haven’t had any adverse side effects.

In the end it’s down to you and your doctor to decide what will work best for your situation
Mypoorbutt

Postby Wotan » 12 Mar 2018, 14:19

Many thanks for your advice, its a great help. Suppose its up to the GP, and will go off their advice. Will certainly keep up the cream application for as long as deemed appropriate.
Wotan
Fibre Addict

Postby Wotan » 17 Mar 2018, 13:46

Update...Went to the Gp after 4 weeks ( it started to be painful again, but I had a difficult bowel movement one day, so hoping it will settle ). He just says keep using the rectogesic and he has given me another tube, so another 4 weeks I think. He seems to think its Ok and says he suffers himself !
Wotan
Fibre Addict