Healed at long last

Please help others by posting your success story here. Tell us what worked for you, before you move on with your fissure-free life!!

Return to Anal Fissure Success Stories

Healed at long last

Postby LemonMan » 26 Mar 2018, 17:11

Anyone who cares to check out my various posts will know I have been suffering from various bottom related issues for many years, but now, thankfully, I am healed.

I thought I would give it a good few months before declaring this, so I'm not one of those unfortunate few who think they are healed only to find they revert a few weeks later.

I also think I have some valuable information to give anyone interested.

Some of my revelations may seem a little forthright. I don't mean them to be, but it's what I believe and have learnt the hard way. Mind you, everyone is different, so what worked for me might not work for you.

First of all, if you are suffering from an Anal fissure or abscess (I've had both) my sympathies go out to you. This condition took me to the lowest I have ever been, and I wondered if I would ever get through it. Keep the faith though. My fissure was fairly deep and I got through it in the end.

My troubles started with an abscess. I had surgery for this, and after 3 or 4 months I was healed. Probably 4 or so months later I developed a fissure. I had been on a diet, got constipated, and boom developed a fissure. I tell you something, I would swap the fissure for the abscess any day - and that's saying something.

So this is what I learned:

1) If anyone tells you they healed in a week with some magic potion/diet/meditation etc - don't believe them. They might believe whatever they did healed them, but the chances are they would have healed anyway and their fissure was probably superficial.

2) Keeping your stool soft is super important, but give yourself a break. You don't need to go on a super strict diet. If you can, get yourself a stool softner such as Movicol.

3) If you're using Diltiazem and you are not healed in three months, stop using it. Diltazem (aka Anoheal) can help if you use it soon enough. I used it for probably a year and it did no good what-so-ever. A couple of times I thought Diltiazem had healed me, but really it had hidden my symptoms. A month later they had returned. In the end I just developed a painful rash.

4) None of the following helped at all; Coconut oil, Manuka Honey, Vitamins.

And what about Botox? Well I had Botox too. After about 6 weeks I thought I was healed, and after 10 weeks I was back to square one again. However I would say this about Botox; most people say that Botox takes around 3 to 6 months to wear off. For me it was more like a 9 months to a year. I'm not sure why exactly, but I really do think this varies per person.

So what eventually healed me? Well if was a combination of the following:

1) Keeping my stools soft (movicol)
2) Daily hot baths
3) Infrared light therapy.

Yes I know, this where everyone thinks I must be a salesman for infrared light bulbs - but I promise you it really did help. My consultant had wanted to do LIS, and I asked him if could leave it three months to think about it. When I went back he said LIS was no longer appropriate and I was healing well. The only thing I had done meanwhile were the above three things.

To me, the secret is all about blood flow. The number one reason fissures don't heal is because of lack of blood flow. Hot baths and Infrared light help maintain the blood flow, and for me it worked.

A word of warning though. I wouldn't advise using infrared with Diltiazem. I tried this and it nearly burnt my bum off!! I think the infrared somehow breaks down the components of Diltiazem and the result if not pleasant.

Anyhow that is my story.

I wish you all the very best!

LemonMan
Aug 14: Anal Abscess diagnosed
Dec 15: Anterior Anal Fissure diagnosed
Jan 16: Anoheal - Thought was healed end of Jan
Apr 16: Anoheal - Thought was healed end of May
Sep 16: Fissure back. Started Anoheal again
May 17: Botox and banding - fingers crossed
LemonMan
VIP

Topics: 4

Re: Healed at long last

Postby patience_and_healing » 27 Mar 2018, 00:37

Hey LemonMan, you finally came back here to let us know how you were doing. :) Super stoked for you that everything is healed up. I hope you never see the hint of a fissure again.

If you don't mind, could you point me to a link where I can get an infrared lamp for myself? I'm open to trying it out. I assume there are many types out there but I wouldn't know which one will work best.
8/16-12/16: Fissure due to antibiotics
5/17: Botox to sphincter, fissure healed
9/19: Trigger point injections and pudendal nerve block
11/19: Botox to pelvic floor
8/20: Botox to pelvic floor in new location.
On and off in pelvic physical therapy
patience_and_healing

Topics: 40

Postby mmklinemm » 27 Mar 2018, 07:11

Congratulations, LemonMan, and thanks for the update! I'm interested is the infrared light you used, too.
mmklinemm
VIP

Topics: 13

Postby chachacha » 27 Mar 2018, 07:37

I'm so happy to hear that you're better now and thanks for the report on the infra-red light.

A big congrats on getting through everything and coming out the other side in such great shape!
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby LemonMan » 27 Mar 2018, 11:50

Hi All,

The one I used was the "Beurer IL 50 Infrared heat lamp 300W" - I can promise you I have no affiliation with them. The way I used it was to lay on my back in front of it with my bum raised in the air a bit. I built a sort of ramp thing, but you could use books or pillows I guess. It has a timer that automatically turns it off after 15 minutes. I would just lay there and listen to audiobooks. That, with hot baths, took about three months to work.

This technique is still unproven in medical terms, but there are some interesting studies that are encouraging. All I can say is I believe it worked for me.

Good luck!
LemonMan
VIP

Postby patience_and_healing » 28 Mar 2018, 11:43

Thanks for the information LemonMan. How many times a day did you use the lamp? And did you do things in sequence, like taking a hot bath and then doing light therapy?
patience_and_healing

Postby LemonMan » 30 Mar 2018, 11:45

Hi Patience,

I generally had a bath in the evening, as hot as I could manage, and read a book while in the bath - usually for around 30 minutes. I would then come out and sit in front of the lamp for 15 minutes, so in total I would dedicate 45 mins of my day to this. After about a month I had a feeling things were slightly better, but wasn't sure. I would measure my pain levels out of 10. When I started this routine I had already had a fissure for over a year, and my pain levels were about 2 out of ten. It was probably two months or so before I felt sure things were improving.

I originally got the idea from someone who reported healing after around 300+ baths. From reading about the condition I knew the main issue is about lack of blood flow, so really tried to optimise circulation in the area as much as possible. Given where I was with the condition is seemed to work.

Best, LemonMan
LemonMan
VIP

Postby patience_and_healing » 01 Apr 2018, 17:52

Thanks for the information!
patience_and_healing

Postby missy moo » 06 Apr 2018, 18:20

Interesting anyone else try this out?
missy moo
King Fissure

Topics: 37

Postby patience_and_healing » 07 Apr 2018, 21:55

I looked up the lamp but decided not to go ahead with it because I have skin inflammation problems in the perianal region and the heat from the lamp might aggravate it. There are other infrared devices available on places like Amazon but none convincing enough for me to buy.
patience_and_healing