squatty potty bad for recovery?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

squatty potty bad for recovery?

Postby scubadooper » 29 Mar 2013, 11:43

Hey everyone! This is my first post but I've been reading this forum for support for a few weeks now.
A week ago i had an anal fissurectomy and recovery has not been bad. recently i heard about the squatty potty and want to try it. Howver it seems to me that squatting would spread my anus open which could hinder my recovery. But if it prevents straining it could be helpful in recovery. So Idk if its good for recovery or bad! Anyone have any ideas or experience with the squatty potty and recovery?
scubadooper

Topics: 2

Re: squatty potty bad for recovery?

Postby octobahn » 29 Mar 2013, 13:57

I'm so sorry, I don't have any direct experience with a squatty potty. After my surgery, just sitting on a normal toilet seat I could feel slight pressure as if things were "spreading" apart. Could be I was just so much more aware of that area and was a bit nervous. I agree with you though, to have to squat down to potty doesn't sound like a great idea. Hope you find your answer though. Take care.
octobahn
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Ever the Optimist » 01 Apr 2013, 04:13

Hi Scuba,
I started "squatting" pretty quickly after developing my fissure although have not had the experience of surgery for my chronic fissure, which seems to be healing naturally. I did however have surgery for a fistula, which developed whilst I was dealing with the fissure. I also do not have a potty as such but find it quite easy to squat over a normal toilet. My experience has been great with this - Squatting for me helps everything to fall out more naturally and all in one go with far less pressure on the anal area ( this still needs to be combined with the correct eating habits/ foods of course!) It feels more natural, the BM is expelled more quickly and I spend less time on the toilet during the process. You have to bear in mind that where we Westerners are so accustomed to the regular sitting position, for millions of others "Easterners" squatting is the norm!....If you research squatting, you can find great details on why, physically, the position is better for expelling the BM and how it seems to have so many others rid themselves of troublesome piles/ relieve anal fissures. Squatting in itself does not immediately heal a fissure but it has never created additional issues for me personally or aggravated my fissure in any way and I think has really helped long-term in my toilet habits. I was happy to try anything when my fissure was acute and I'm really happy I adopted this approach. All the best to you.
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby Fissuringforanswers » 12 Apr 2018, 20:09

Have fissure but haven't had the surgery. I love my squaty potty! It takes away straining almost every time! Ask your MD of course, but it has helped make the bathroom less torturous for me!
Fissuringforanswers

Postby mysorebutt » 12 Apr 2018, 20:49

So I haven't had LIS yet, but I have owned a squatty potty for about three years now. Prior to purchasing the squatty potty, I had used a platform that allowed me to do a "full squat" for bowel movements, but after I developed a fissure, I found that the "full squat" method was not comfortable and switched to a squatty potty. I first purchased the taller squatty potty and found it to be too much of a squat so I bought the shorter version and find that it is much more comfortable for me. I definitely feel like it is necessary to have some elevation in the legs while on the toilet as it does help with BM's, but too much elevation might cause unnecessary discomfort, especially if you've just had surgery.
mysorebutt
Salt Bather

Topics: 10