Superficial Fistulotomy Healing

Fistulotomy - No Seton; No stitches

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

Superficial Fistulotomy Healing

Postby CndChris » 07 Aug 2017, 11:15

Three and a half weeks ago I underwent a fistulotomy. Prior to surgery the surgeon was not sure what would be done, or if there would be any damage to my sphincter. Fortunately, when I woke after surgery, I was told it was a superficial fistula, and so the surgeon simply cut it open. No seton stitch was put in place. I was told it would heal itself.
There is no longer any drainage coming from the site, or when there is, it is almost negligible in the amount, and very translucent. This would indicate it is healing well? I have not received any after care since the surgery, and was simply instructed to keep the area clean, and gauze in place until it stops bleeding/leaking discharge.
I do have a follow-up with the surgeon this week (four-weeks to the day since surgery), but without having any care or professionals watching the healing, I am left a bit insecure.
Obviously, it is in a difficult location to look at myself, but when I do, the skin looks good in colour, but both sides of the wound (where the surgeon incised it) are raised and still look separated. It looks like a small valley in the skin, with raised sides. It leaves me wondering why it wasn't sutured
Has anyone had a similar experience, where the fistula was simply opened and left to heal, and if so, will the skin tissues reconnect, or is it likely both sides will close independently, growing their own tissue and skin, leaving obvious raised scar tissue around my rectum?
CndChris

Topics: 1

Re: Superficial Fistulotomy Healing

Postby LemonMan » 19 Aug 2017, 06:40

Hi Chris,
Yes I had an abscess laid open. I took about 3 months to heal properly. Two years later you can hardly see the scar. I had a very similar experience to you. Everything eventually reconnected and everything closed up fine. It's amazing really.
I had the bad luck to later get a fissure, but that was completely unrelated.
Hope things are going well for you.
LemonMan
Aug 14: Anal Abscess diagnosed
Dec 15: Anterior Anal Fissure diagnosed
Jan 16: Anoheal - Thought was healed end of Jan
Apr 16: Anoheal - Thought was healed end of May
Sep 16: Fissure back. Started Anoheal again
May 17: Botox and banding - fingers crossed
LemonMan
VIP

Topics: 4

Postby Mommalor » 22 Aug 2017, 15:24

Hello, I came here
Looking for answers and information on similar to your post Chris. I just had surgery for a superficial fistula and removal of a giant skintag from a prior abcess. Dr told me to expect full recovery in 2 weeks and reading some of these posts have me terrified. My surgery was 4 days ago and as expected I'm still in excruciating pain. My issue is, I'm getting married in 5 weeks! Dr assured me it will be fine by then but everyone is talking about these long recoveries and I'm so scared now.

Advice to speed healing? Suggestions to not ruin my wedding/honeymoon? I never would've agreed to surgery if I had any clue it would be such a long recovery. Feeling pretty anxious right now, any words of wisdom would be welcome!
Mommalor

Postby CndChris » 23 Aug 2017, 10:35

Hello, I can't speak to your skin tag, but I can say that tomorrow I am six-weeks post-op for my fistula and my healing have gone very good. I seen the surgeon two-weeks ago (just after making my post) and he told me the wound was 95% closed.

I hope you are on stool-softeners, drinking lots of water, and increasing your fiber intake. The will all help ease your bowel movements and reduce stress on your wound.

I was very diligent in my after-care. After every bowel movement, I did not wipe, but rather washed using a light-antibacterial soap and the shower head (where possible). I would then take the time to dry the area with a hair-dryer on the cool setting. I also used a folded gauze pad - changing it as it became moist with body sweat - and checking it for discharge. There was little if any discharge after four-weeks. There is another product called MESALT, which is a gauze that is impregnated with salt, to help draw moisture away from the wound. I found this useful at times, because it tends to be a sweaty area for me. Word of caution, when using MESALT, the pads need to be changed frequently, to avoid white, salt marks to appear on the outside of your pants. (This only happened to me once). Another product that I would use was SILVERCEL, an antimicrobial dressing with silver in it. I understood this to help with the healing and to prevent too much granulation tissues to form and slow the healing.

Also, I would sit in a tub of warm/hot water about 10cm deep, with a cup and a half of non-scented sea salt or Epsom salts (Epsom salts are finer and dissolve easier) for 10-15 minutes daily (sometimes twice a day time permitting). I would concentrate the salt where my butt would be, and would move around slowly, ensuring the salted water was moving into the area. When finished, I would rinse the area with the shower head, and blow dry again. I would sometimes do this after a bowel movement (Rinse with soap and shower head, soak in salt water, rinse, blow dry). It would all depend on where/when it happened.

If I were away from home, I would carry saline solution and gauze pads in case I had a bowel movement and wasn't near full facilities for the after care. In these cases, I would wipe lightly, and then wash with soap and then the saline. Right after surgery, I would carry a cotton cloth in a zip-lock bag, along with the soap.

My healing time was better than expected, and while every case is different, I do think my dedication to it helped it along.

I practiced these for four weeks straight, and then began to ease up the routine as bowel movements caused no discomfort or pain.

Keep an eye on your discharge - it should slowly become more clear and reduce in quantity - and don't hesitate to see the doctor if any bleeding starts or there is a worried concern about the discharge. Don't hesitate to see a doctor regarding any concern. I am only a patient sharing my experience.

I hope these help you though. It's not a fun journey, and it can be very unsettling and cause for anxiety, no doubt! Good luck with your healing. With five-weeks until your wedding day, I hope these help you, and give you some security. Don't let a little pain in your ass get you down on your wedding day - leave that to in-laws and annoying family - they will be pain in the ass enough! :-)

Good Luck. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Chris
CndChris

Topics: 1

Postby Mommalor » 23 Aug 2017, 11:23

Thank you so much for the advice I will practice all of it diligently and hope for speedy healing!
Mommalor

Postby Diesel » 18 Feb 2018, 09:34

Thanks CndChris
Diesel

Postby Dimitri71 » 18 Feb 2018, 12:11

Thanks CandChris.
What color was your discharge during the first three weeks? How much was it?
Dimitri71
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby Checkdis » 11 May 2018, 18:34

Hi guys,

I just wanted to add I just literally got my superficial fistulotomy done this morning and WOW, pain is a lot worse than my lateral internal Sphincterotomy. To get an idea, didn’t take any perks for my LIS procedure... fistulotomy I am taking 2-3 a day and constantly in the shower or bath. There is no comparison but everyone who has gotten a fistulotomy knows what pain really is.

To add I have been standing all day, I can’t lay down, can’t sit, and ice packs so nothing. To add injury to insult my OAB has flared up and I have urinated 20 times today.

I really hope this surgery is worth it or i’m gonna insist on one of those colon bags so my ring of fire hole heals up without bowel movements lol.

In a male and gauze daoes nothing, i’m hitting up the wifys maxi pads
Checkdis
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Postby Naina » 16 Dec 2018, 11:12

Checkdis wrote:Hi guys,

I just wanted to add I just literally got my superficial fistulotomy done this morning and WOW, pain is a lot worse than my lateral internal Sphincterotomy. To get an idea, didn’t take any perks for my LIS procedure... fistulotomy I am taking 2-3 a day and constantly in the shower or bath. There is no comparison but everyone who has gotten a fistulotomy knows what pain really is.

To add I have been standing all day, I can’t lay down, can’t sit, and ice packs so nothing. To add injury to insult my OAB has flared up and I have urinated 20 times today.

I really hope this surgery is worth it or i’m gonna insist on one of those colon bags so my ring of fire hole heals up without bowel movements lol.

In a male and gauze daoes nothing, i’m hitting up the wifys maxi pads

Hey h r u doing now
Naina
Salt Bather

Postby Naina » 16 Dec 2018, 11:13

Mommalor wrote:Hello, I came here
Looking for answers and information on similar to your post Chris. I just had surgery for a superficial fistula and removal of a giant skintag from a prior abcess. Dr told me to expect full recovery in 2 weeks and reading some of these posts have me terrified. My surgery was 4 days ago and as expected I'm still in excruciating pain. My issue is, I'm getting married in 5 weeks! Dr assured me it will be fine by then but everyone is talking about these long recoveries and I'm so scared now.

Advice to speed healing? Suggestions to not ruin my wedding/honeymoon? I never would've agreed to surgery if I had any clue it would be such a long recovery. Feeling pretty anxious right now, any words of wisdom would be welcome!

I'm same as yiu day 4 and I'm in excruciating pain.
My CRS said it's normal and isn't willing to see me
Naina
Salt Bather